It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:43 pm 

The Good.
Great win. Never easy to win games on the road.
Lot of new faces mixing into the starting offense or bigger roles, so we had to expect some hiccups.
Rodgers. James. Coates. Three guys that need to mesh with Ben and get in rythem.
Took a quarter of slop. Then put up 38 points in 3 quarters.
Ben made some insane throws. Dead on.
The two AB TD passes. Coates after the low snap. Quick release to James. Scramble and toss to AB.
The INT was probably on Rodgers. The forced slant that ER caught for a TD is not smart. Especially on first down?
Ben looks light and in great shape. His movement in pocket. Footwork. Quicker. Sliding up to avoid pressure certainly looks better than last year.

Dwill. Wow. Love his running style. Great vision. Stays low and minimizes hits.
Too 5 free agent pick up of last 20 years?

Young wrs settled down and made plays. First downs. Love Rodgers on crossing patterns. Can we have our own Edleman minus the douche. James was solid. Ben will continue to pick up short gains and quick hitter accross the middle to this big target. Coates is still limited in his routes. We have seen him drop or mangel a handful of those WR screens. The short, quick hitting game bang bang passes is not his strong point at this time.

DHB and DJ made some nice blocks. DHB will have some impact catches this season.

Wheaton Will still be an important part of this offense. Its a long season.

The Oline was great. No penalties. No holding or false starts. Kept pounding. Kept Ben clean. Showed good movement. DD one nasty man. Gilbert elbow looked fine. Pouncey looked good and the middle if that OL let little thru.

Boswell. Boswell. Kid kicks straight. Ball stays straight.

Shazier is all over the field. Still missed tackles. But he will make impact and game Changing plays week in and week out. Stay healthy to be great.

The Bad.
Tackling.tackling.tackling.
It will Be better next week as these guys are still getting in game shape and game speed.
The soft cushions do not help the pass rush.
The pass rush does not help the pass rush.
We did very little blitzing. Not until later in game. Did not see one safety or corner blitz.
Pretty vanilla game plan.
Would like too see snap counts...but it did not look like Cam and Tuit had much relief. On top of doubles play after play.
Forte needs to see more snaps. JJ less.

The Ugly
Tackling.
Shaz injury. Hope he is fine and the big lead kept him on the sidelines.
Turtleling with a nice lead end of third. Run. Run. Pass behind the sticks. Not with this defense. Aim for 50.
Tomlin leaving Dwill in and having him pound out the clock. Had he learned anything the last two years on how valuable our RBs are. Let alone a 34 year old taking meaningless snaps when we have 2 more games without Bell and 15-18 games to a season.

Great win.

Post subject: Re: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:02 am 

Good thoughts.

I'm probably in the minority by saying Jarvis looked solid...he collapsed the pocket & was doubled. How many times did our pass rush get home? This defense gave up very little outside of the quick score...they hit with bad intentions. Mitchell is a player, but is going to get some flags.

A couple of other things...I laughed so fucking hard at AB's celebration I didn't mind the 15 yrds.

NFL dot com has every other highlight of the game except an iso on Bens performance. Fine wine, he is. HUGE balls on some of those throws.

Great to have Steeler football back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:07 am 

Agreed on all points. Skins moved the ball well at times, hard to believe they only scored 16.

The pass rush is going to be an issue, period. Makes me really miss Dupree because he surely can't be worse.

Only AB celebration better was the nut slam against goal post on punt return against Indy last year.

Green ---- Bell ---- Bryant. Imagine that.

Last edited by Orangesteel on Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:08 am 

Two all pros may have been born tonight: Marcus Gilbert and Shazier.

On back end have to tackle better.

Love Rogers he is going to be a staple all year.

Coates made plays. Still has work to do but as long as he chips in few times per game he will fill void left by Alien.

Pass rush seemed anemic. Hargrave looked far slower than he did in pre season, seemed hesitant.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:15 am 

Good Job Stosh.

DeAngelo Williams. 33 year-old running back. Stout. Quick. Eats up yards like Pac-Man video game. One cut, bye, bye.

DWill from the Skins game:
http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/H ... 8a3134ba95

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:18 am 

Guys...I do believe what we saw from the defense was the gameplan. Drop 7/8 in soft zone coverage...keep everything in front, and limit RAC. They rushed only 3 a lot...rarely more than 4. Avoid the chunk plays and make Skins move down the field slowly. Wait for a mistake or make a play to put them behind the chains.
If that was indeed the plan, they executed to perfection.
More than one way to skin a cat...or cat a Skin! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:26 am 

VanWilder wrote:
Good thoughts.

I'm probably in the minority by saying Jarvis looked solid...he collapsed the pocket & was doubled. How many times did our pass rush get home? This defense gave up very little outside of the quick score...they hit with bad intentions. Mitchell is a player, but is going to get some flags.

A couple of other things...I laughed so fucking hard at AB's celebration I didn't mind the 15 yrds.

NFL dot com has every other highlight of the game except an iso on Bens performance. Fine wine, he is. HUGE balls on some of those throws.

Great to have Steeler football back.

NFL has gone out of its way not to promote Ben in any way, shape or fashion since the Georgia incident. As great as Brown is, Ben is the straw that stirs that drink. Ben will get another ring or two and will get into the HOF but he will never be promoted by the league.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:28 am 

Quote:
The Oline was great. No penalties. No holding or false starts. Kept pounding. Kept Ben clean. Showed good movement. DD one nasty man. Gilbert elbow looked fine. Pouncey looked good and the middle if that OL let little thru.

This.... MM was such a huge fucking get.

Fully agree about DW. Game in hand, get the young guys some carries.

Good write up...

Big game next week. Need to tackle much better, bring some heat, and get more from the "#2" WR.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:32 am 

i expected a more noticeable improvement from the defense (as compared to last year) than we actually got, but aside from the quick touchdown drive, they looked decent enough

three fields goals and a garbage time dpi are all we gave up otherwise

i can live with that

they keep the points allowed at 16pg and we'll be all set

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:58 am 

enjoyed your thoughts

but

Quote:
Rodgers.
Forte

please make it stop!

Eli Rogers was terrific. Nice to finally have a freaking slot guy with upside. Fort flashed in limited snaps backing up Shazier.

Quote:
Ben made some insane throws. Dead on.

and I would say Ben wasn't even what I would call sharp in this game. On the Ben scale, he was about a 6.5 out of 10.

Quote:
put up 38 points in 3 quarters.

pretty impressive
Quote:
The pass rush does not help the pass rush.

The biggest takeaway from the game-- edge rush is, has been, continues to be a serious problem with very little solution in sight. I've been saying it for four years now, at least. The one Worilds contract year down the stretch was the closest thing to an edge rush we've had since Deebo's was under 30 and Woodley was skinny.

Quote:
We did very little blitzing. Not until later in game. Did not see one safety or corner blitz.
Pretty vanilla game plan.

I think that's the defensive theme this year-- don't show any cards vs teams that can't stop our offense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next