It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:43 pm 

The Good.
Great win. Never easy to win games on the road.
Lot of new faces mixing into the starting offense or bigger roles, so we had to expect some hiccups.
Rodgers. James. Coates. Three guys that need to mesh with Ben and get in rythem.
Took a quarter of slop. Then put up 38 points in 3 quarters.
Ben made some insane throws. Dead on.
The two AB TD passes. Coates after the low snap. Quick release to James. Scramble and toss to AB.
The INT was probably on Rodgers. The forced slant that ER caught for a TD is not smart. Especially on first down?
Ben looks light and in great shape. His movement in pocket. Footwork. Quicker. Sliding up to avoid pressure certainly looks better than last year.

Dwill. Wow. Love his running style. Great vision. Stays low and minimizes hits.
Too 5 free agent pick up of last 20 years?

Young wrs settled down and made plays. First downs. Love Rodgers on crossing patterns. Can we have our own Edleman minus the douche. James was solid. Ben will continue to pick up short gains and quick hitter accross the middle to this big target. Coates is still limited in his routes. We have seen him drop or mangel a handful of those WR screens. The short, quick hitting game bang bang passes is not his strong point at this time.

DHB and DJ made some nice blocks. DHB will have some impact catches this season.

Wheaton Will still be an important part of this offense. Its a long season.

The Oline was great. No penalties. No holding or false starts. Kept pounding. Kept Ben clean. Showed good movement. DD one nasty man. Gilbert elbow looked fine. Pouncey looked good and the middle if that OL let little thru.

Boswell. Boswell. Kid kicks straight. Ball stays straight.

Shazier is all over the field. Still missed tackles. But he will make impact and game Changing plays week in and week out. Stay healthy to be great.

The Bad.
Tackling.tackling.tackling.
It will Be better next week as these guys are still getting in game shape and game speed.
The soft cushions do not help the pass rush.
The pass rush does not help the pass rush.
We did very little blitzing. Not until later in game. Did not see one safety or corner blitz.
Pretty vanilla game plan.
Would like too see snap counts...but it did not look like Cam and Tuit had much relief. On top of doubles play after play.
Forte needs to see more snaps. JJ less.

The Ugly
Tackling.
Shaz injury. Hope he is fine and the big lead kept him on the sidelines.
Turtleling with a nice lead end of third. Run. Run. Pass behind the sticks. Not with this defense. Aim for 50.
Tomlin leaving Dwill in and having him pound out the clock. Had he learned anything the last two years on how valuable our RBs are. Let alone a 34 year old taking meaningless snaps when we have 2 more games without Bell and 15-18 games to a season.

Great win.

Post subject: Re: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:02 am 

Good thoughts.

I'm probably in the minority by saying Jarvis looked solid...he collapsed the pocket & was doubled. How many times did our pass rush get home? This defense gave up very little outside of the quick score...they hit with bad intentions. Mitchell is a player, but is going to get some flags.

A couple of other things...I laughed so fucking hard at AB's celebration I didn't mind the 15 yrds.

NFL dot com has every other highlight of the game except an iso on Bens performance. Fine wine, he is. HUGE balls on some of those throws.

Great to have Steeler football back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:07 am 

Agreed on all points. Skins moved the ball well at times, hard to believe they only scored 16.

The pass rush is going to be an issue, period. Makes me really miss Dupree because he surely can't be worse.

Only AB celebration better was the nut slam against goal post on punt return against Indy last year.

Green ---- Bell ---- Bryant. Imagine that.

Last edited by Orangesteel on Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:08 am 

Two all pros may have been born tonight: Marcus Gilbert and Shazier.

On back end have to tackle better.

Love Rogers he is going to be a staple all year.

Coates made plays. Still has work to do but as long as he chips in few times per game he will fill void left by Alien.

Pass rush seemed anemic. Hargrave looked far slower than he did in pre season, seemed hesitant.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:15 am 

Good Job Stosh.

DeAngelo Williams. 33 year-old running back. Stout. Quick. Eats up yards like Pac-Man video game. One cut, bye, bye.

DWill from the Skins game:
http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/H ... 8a3134ba95

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:18 am 

Guys...I do believe what we saw from the defense was the gameplan. Drop 7/8 in soft zone coverage...keep everything in front, and limit RAC. They rushed only 3 a lot...rarely more than 4. Avoid the chunk plays and make Skins move down the field slowly. Wait for a mistake or make a play to put them behind the chains.
If that was indeed the plan, they executed to perfection.
More than one way to skin a cat...or cat a Skin! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:26 am 

VanWilder wrote:
Good thoughts.

I'm probably in the minority by saying Jarvis looked solid...he collapsed the pocket & was doubled. How many times did our pass rush get home? This defense gave up very little outside of the quick score...they hit with bad intentions. Mitchell is a player, but is going to get some flags.

A couple of other things...I laughed so fucking hard at AB's celebration I didn't mind the 15 yrds.

NFL dot com has every other highlight of the game except an iso on Bens performance. Fine wine, he is. HUGE balls on some of those throws.

NFL has gone out of its way not to promote Ben in any way, shape or fashion since the Georgia incident. As great as Brown is, Ben is the straw that stirs that drink. Ben will get another ring or two and will get into the HOF but he will never be promoted by the league.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:28 am 

Quote:
The Oline was great. No penalties. No holding or false starts. Kept pounding. Kept Ben clean. Showed good movement. DD one nasty man. Gilbert elbow looked fine. Pouncey looked good and the middle if that OL let little thru.

This.... MM was such a huge fucking get.

Fully agree about DW. Game in hand, get the young guys some carries.

Good write up...

Big game next week. Need to tackle much better, bring some heat, and get more from the "#2" WR.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:32 am 

i expected a more noticeable improvement from the defense (as compared to last year) than we actually got, but aside from the quick touchdown drive, they looked decent enough

three fields goals and a garbage time dpi are all we gave up otherwise

i can live with that

they keep the points allowed at 16pg and we'll be all set

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:58 am 

enjoyed your thoughts

but

Quote:
Rodgers.
Forte

please make it stop!

Eli Rogers was terrific. Nice to finally have a freaking slot guy with upside. Fort flashed in limited snaps backing up Shazier.

Quote:

and I would say Ben wasn't even what I would call sharp in this game. On the Ben scale, he was about a 6.5 out of 10.

Quote:
put up 38 points in 3 quarters.

pretty impressive
Quote:

The biggest takeaway from the game-- edge rush is, has been, continues to be a serious problem with very little solution in sight. I've been saying it for four years now, at least. The one Worilds contract year down the stretch was the closest thing to an edge rush we've had since Deebo's was under 30 and Woodley was skinny.

Quote:
We did very little blitzing. Not until later in game. Did not see one safety or corner blitz.

I think that's the defensive theme this year-- don't show any cards vs teams that can't stop our offense.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:09 am 

I also did not think Ben had his "A" game tonight. AB earned his money and basically looked all world - 3 or 4 sick grabs that weren't great throws. Coates also made a heck of a play on that bomb.

Outside of the slop in Q1, which had me cursing about another sloppy and unprepared opener....they looked pretty damn good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:10 am 

I think most of the coaches in the league complained about their team's tackling this weekend. An offense can get some rhythm running through plays with no contact but defensive guys need to tackle to get game ready. With as little as the starters play in the preseason, tackling is bound to suck for a while. Now if we're talking about this in game 4...

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:23 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
enjoyed your thoughts

but

Quote:
Rodgers.
Forte

please make it stop!

Eli Rogers was terrific. Nice to finally have a freaking slot guy with upside. Fort flashed in limited snaps backing up Shazier.

Quote:

and I would say Ben wasn't even what I would call sharp in this game. On the Ben scale, he was about a 6.5 out of 10.

Quote:
put up 38 points in 3 quarters.

pretty impressive
Quote:

The biggest takeaway from the game-- edge rush is, has been, continues to be a serious problem with very little solution in sight. I've been saying it for four years now, at least. The one Worilds contract year down the stretch was the closest thing to an edge rush we've had since Deebo's was under 30 and Woodley was skinny.

Quote:

I think that's the defensive theme this year-- don't show any cards vs teams that can't stop our offense.

All due respect, & I think you'll agree with me here. Ben at 6.5 out of 10 is an 8-9 out of 10 for most QB's. He had 2 off throws that I saw (with my uncle talking non stop).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:26 am 

felt more like a 7.5-8 to me

dude played well

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:29 am 

Chidi Iwuoma wrote:
felt more like a 7.5-8 to me

dude played well

Aside from Q1, that would be fair. He started rough, got lucky he didn't lose the fumble.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:36 am 

Kodiak wrote:
I also did not think Ben had his "A" game tonight. AB earned his money and basically looked all world - 3 or 4 sick grabs that weren't great throws. Coates also made a heck of a play on that bomb.

Outside of the slop in Q1, which had me cursing about another sloppy and unprepared opener....they looked pretty damn good.

the three deep balls were dropped dimes, man-- you can't throw them better than Ben did.

It was more his underneath game and feel in the pocket. Got better but started way rusty.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:43 am 
2 4th down pass play conversions and literally a perfect pass to ABs no look catch mean I think Ben is in damn near playoff form already

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:19 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:

Agree - I think each game will have a totally different Defensive theme based on the opponent and it will be a combo of their D.... can they stop Ben & co and their O......can they hang with our 30+ point boys? I fully expect the D to go from passive aggressive like tonight to an all out blitz fest when needed. Butler will show more different looks than we've seen in a while.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:25 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Guys...I do believe what we saw from the defense was the gameplan. Drop 7/8 in soft zone coverage...keep everything in front, and limit RAC. They rushed only 3 a lot...rarely more than 4. Avoid the chunk plays and make Skins move down the field slowly. Wait for a mistake or make a play to put them behind the chains.
If that was indeed the plan, they executed to perfection.
More than one way to skin a cat...or cat a Skin! :mrgreen:

I think you are right....can't stand it, that's just me. I can see if they dropped 7 or 8 and played some more man zone and actually tried to pick off the pass, yes, I am all for that, but this soft prevent bullshit - hate it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:25 am 

Ok first of all. I was at home this weekend. First time in 11 years, felt great. I had my Rs back in less than a day. Usually, when someone has as great of a time as I had, they come back with way too many vowels in their name. And if I lived in Pittsburgh full time, I would probably be into Asian chicks- never a factor outside of Pittsburgh. But there are some weird,caggy looking women up there. And I dont remember there being as many asian people there. Ok about the game

This was Ben's first real action with new WRs. One had to expect at least a quarter for an adjustment period. Lets stop dreaming of Bell, Bryant and Green and just relax and enjoy a man who is going to keep all the Bengals, Ravens, and Browns fans clutching their pearls hoping that their defense can keep him under 40 points. The universe is about balance, Ben has those tools and he puts up 6k then the worlds economy would go into a tailspin. Ive got an algorithm that clearly shows it, its right next to STDs real top 25 QB list. The one with real measurable criteria.

DW can say whatever the heck he wants on Twitter and leave all the crappy tips he wants if he keeps playing like that.

The three things I will say about the defense

Tackling and fatigue go hand in hand- usually a month of hitting gets that worked out. When you are boxing there is a difference between running fatique and getting hit fatigue by a factor of 7. Same here, If there is no improvement week to week and its not a non factor by game 4, then I'll be concerned.

Some new faces and lack of experience in the DBackfield dictated the game plan. We want to complain about pressure and splash plays, but I think the defense held the Skins to a modern day shut out (FGs only) until a garbage DPI gave them the ball on the door step. We were sending 4 into 6 or 7 all night against a mobile QB. The skins were rarely in the red zone and werent even a threat to score a TD until that DPI.

This last one is about turtling- which includes the defense. Can we stop with the pegorative nature of the word? Please. Last night was about gameplaning a teams weakness and exploiting it. Pure and simple. Skins gave up 4.7 ypc last year. Put them in the torture chamber and make them live in that. Late in that 3rd, Washington was GASSSED and Williams runs were getting longer and longer. Why wouldnt you give him the ball and let the OL have some fun and get their timing down? Why play into their strengths by passing the ball and allowing them to extend the game?

Feed your running back, keep them honest with a few passes out of their stacked box (not a sexual term) and keep the clock moving. Which then puts them into taking chances iin the passing game that fits right into the defense we've been playing ALL night. The only weakness of the defense is a running QB can grind you up and force Shazier out of coverage to be a spy. Then you just lower the boom on him RG3 style and he goes back to dinking and dunking.

When DW took over the game, yes we took our foot off the accelerator but we kept the pressure on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:29 am 

What's below the "UGLY" section, because that's where Jervis belongs. He bounces off tackles, he looks like the slowest player on the field, and zero pass rush. BUST

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:43 am 

VanWilder wrote:
Good thoughts.

Jervis sucked and when we play better teams, our lack of a pass rush is going to be a major sticking point.

Jervis is a turd. Live with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:44 am 

Yeah, as much as people shit all over Tomlin I think we actually looked at what Washington did last year on offense, their tendencies, the fact that Cousins set an NFL record for accuracy for home games, the idea that he loves to burn defenses when they blitz often, and we...

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

...game planned a defense to not let him even get started. We rushed 3 and dropped 8 quite a bit. Last season he completed nearly 75% of his passes at home at FedEx field, good for 16 TDs and only 2 INTs with a passer rating of 117.

So in 8 home games last season he threw just 2 INTs, but he just threw 2 INTs to us last night and had a passer rating of 72. Cockrell had an opportunity for a 3rd INT and couldn't make the catch.

This is the type of defense that I want and crave, you morph and change up your plan of attack from game to game. The defense you trot out against Kirk Cousins would be different than the one you field against Drew Brees or Tom Brady, or the one you plan to face an Adrian Peterson. One size does not fit all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:49 am 

Rate QB on two concentric rings, one being mental side other execution. When plotting plays those that fall dead center in overlap are premium and that's where many of his plays plot. Brain side his reads pre snap and then in 2-3 second execution gap were as good as it gets. Execution side was flawless on several plays 10, by design on many 6-8, sloppy on a few 1-4. There are very few that rise to flawless multiple times in a game, let alone in big plays. His overall 8-9. Eliminate few sloppy he's one of a select few capable of 9.5-10.

You could add 3rd ring for result, overlap becomes tighter and those plots have weighted impact on chart. There too Ben plotted elite even with some sloppy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:12 am 

Great post Veritas. I agree 100 about the defense. It was the correct game plan.

Also. I had a wild night with and Asian cellist in town for the symphony, I met at the grand Wyndham hotel bar a couple years ago. They are definitely around