It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Todd Haley has no idea what he's doing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:34 am 

Aside from all the Tomlin talk - and I believe it is justified - I'm noticing a disturbing trend concerning how the game is called.

When this team goes no huddle and needs points, even if the opposing defense is trying to stop them as opposed to preventing, we see different routes and playcalls that take advantage of the strength of the team, and provide some complexity the defense isn't ready for.

When Todd Haley is in charge of calling the plays and the Steelers are running the offense out of the huddle - we see tunnel vision essentially as to what gets called. A complete ignorance at the moment or situation in the game, and an all around predictability in which most likely all the fans at home have a 90% chance of guessing what is going to be called.

Todd Haley - he can draw up some nice plays - but the guy should be no where near the headphones on game day.

Everyone predicted the defense would struggle - the best way to help them out is to let the offense score points and force the other team to catch up. Make them one-dimensional.

In that - Todd Haley has utterly failed, and upon reviewing the recent times the offense has gone no-huddle (IE Ben is calling plays), the offense has looked dynamic and dangerous.

My adjustment - run no huddle in at least 2 series per quarter. Take the clipboard out of Haley's hands as much as possible.

Post subject: Re: Todd Haley has no idea what he's doing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:49 am 

I do know he has a knack for killing momentum like no other.

He should be fired for this play sequence alone (I'm pretty sure it wasn't Ben calling these plays).

Dallas had just had that 7:35 drive. The Frenchman had busted off a decent return. We need to get something from the O so the D can catch its breath,

We get this instead:

5-D.Bailey kicks 66 yards from DAL 35 to PIT -1. 33-F.Toussaint ran ob at PIT 32 for 33 yards.
1-10-PIT 32
(5:27) (Shotgun) 26-L.Bell left end to PIT 36 for 4 yards (50-S.Lee).
2-6-PIT 36
(4:54) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 26-L.Bell left tackle to PIT 39 for 3 yards (59-A.Hitchens, 27-J.Wilcox).
3-3-PIT 39
(4:12) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 31 for -8 yards (90-D.Lawrence).
4-11-PIT 31

Draw...run...incomplete pass deep. The two runs were bad enough (including the ever present shotgun draw) but at least they made the third down manageable.

But then, as so often is their wont, the first read on third down was deep down the sidelines to Brown. So the play was designed with deep as the first option.

Utter, complete lack of understanding of the game situation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:51 am 

Re-visit the Steelers Super Bowl against the Cardinals. For most of the game the Cardinals could do nothing with the talent they had. Todd Haley was their OC.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:52 am 

Lets not forgot the end around that lost roughly 85 yards in the middle of what was a promising drive.

Haley absolutely LOVES to screw up momentum with "cute" calls.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 am 

Colbert, Tomlin, Haley, Mitchell, Smith should all be thrown out the door. I'm undecided on Butler and Porter as they have seriously been handcuffed with for the most part terrible personnel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 am 

dropemjaybird wrote:
Aside from all the Tomlin talk - and I believe it is justified - I'm noticing a disturbing trend concerning how the game is called.

When this team goes no huddle and needs points, even if the opposing defense is trying to stop them as opposed to preventing, we see different routes and playcalls that take advantage of the strength of the team, and provide some complexity the defense isn't ready for.

When Todd Haley is in charge of calling the plays and the Steelers are running the offense out of the huddle - we see tunnel vision essentially as to what gets called. A complete ignorance at the moment or situation in the game, and an all around predictability in which most likely all the fans at home have a 90% chance of guessing what is going to be called.

Todd Haley - he can draw up some nice plays - but the guy should be no where near the headphones on game day.

Everyone predicted the defense would struggle - the best way to help them out is to let the offense score points and force the other team to catch up. Make them one-dimensional.

In that - Todd Haley has utterly failed, and upon reviewing the recent times the offense has gone no-huddle (IE Ben is calling plays), the offense has looked dynamic and dangerous.

My adjustment - run no huddle in at least 2 series per quarter. Take the clipboard out of Haley's hands as much as possible.

Why just the 2 series? Should be pretty much the whole game. Pedal to the metal because it's been proven that they need to put up 40+ a game to ensure a victory.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:13 pm 

The Steelers have forgotten how to set the tone.

I agree completely with
dropemjaybird wrote:
My adjustment - run no huddle in at least 2 series per quarter.

In fact, start the game with it, set the tone, see how it goes and adjust from there

Todd can call plays once we're truly "comfortable"

But, no, this "easing into games" bullshit is killing this offense and the whole team...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:27 pm 

dropemjaybird wrote:

A damned near perfect post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:29 pm 

Come on FC

Lay it on thick

You describe it every week in the podcast
I mentioned it last night after Bens Ps tell to the press

Ben waved off Haleys call to not waste a down.

That is Haleys epitaph......designer of offensive formations, master killjoy, golfing tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:26 pm 

SteelPowerful wrote:
Re-visit the Steelers Super Bowl against the Cardinals. For most of the game the Cardinals could do nothing with the talent they had. Todd Haley was their OC.

That play was a disaster to start out......
Ben was pitching the ball back to AB, who was running 45 degrees towards the Steelers endzone..............hence, he was going to catch the ball about 7 yards behind the LOS and still running backwards at 45 degrees. Just poor angles....
he would have had to run back on a an angle, 10-15 yards towards the opposite side line to get around the defense....before heading upfield.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:46 pm 

Quote:
Todd Haley has no idea what he's doing

He takes after his head coach.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:52 pm 

JackLambert58 wrote:
Quote:
Todd Haley has no idea what he's doing

He takes after his head coach.

Two peas in a pod...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:41 pm 

While I understand the sentiment concerning the head coach, I still think this team has an ability that Todd Haley is directly responsible for snuffing out with whatever the hell it is he's trying to accomplish in his playcalling.

I don't think the experts were wrong when looking at this Steelers offense. They are talented, and have something most teams don't in terms of a QB that can win a Super Bowl by himself.

And we see glimpses... we see what is possible from time to time, and when you ask about consistency you look for a pattern. To me - that pattern is obvious... when Ben is running no-huddle - this team moves the ball, they are dynamic, they are unpredictable, they exploit weaknesses in the defense, Ben looks much more comfortable and confident in this throws.

When Haley is calling the offense - it seems like it's predictable, is slow motion, with limited options per playcall. Numerous WR screens that set up ... well nothing much. With no data to back this up - I feel like there is no attacking at the intermediate level. There is no route combinations that open those windows up - it's like they don't exist. When Ben runs no huddle - we see them open those up.

Sure the team has a serious lack of attention to detail that might cost them games here or there - but this offense, I believe, can make up for it in a big way if Ben took control far more often. Haley is getting beat by defensive coordinators with far less talent on their side of the ball. That needs to change - I'd much rather trust Ben calling plays right now than Haley.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:47 pm 

It's interesting that one year they wanted to run a lot of no huddle, and now they've gone away from that. Was it 2014 they ran a lot more no-huddle, especially the second half of the year? Ben had his best year of his career that season...and in those last 9 games threw 22 TD's and 6 picks, for 3394 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:10 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
It's interesting that one year they wanted to run a lot of no huddle, and now they've gone away from that. Was it 2014 they ran a lot more no-huddle, especially the second half of the year? Ben had his best year of his career that season...and in those last 9 games threw 22 TD's and 6 picks, for 3394 yards.

bingo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:16 pm 

3 things

- Whenever we run 2 straight times people think it's bad play calling. C'mon man

- Haley definitely suffers from the Tomlin "too cute by half" disease with trick plays etc.

- Our vaunted WR core has come down to Brown, Rodgers and some guy named Cobi. Instead of having the best group of wideouts in the league, i think we have about the 23rd best group.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:38 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
3 things

- Whenever we run 2 straight times people think it's bad play calling. C'mon man

- Haley definitely suffers from the Tomlin "too cute by half" disease with trick plays etc.

- Our vaunted WR core has come down to Brown, Rodgers and some guy named Cobi. Instead of having the best group of wideouts in the league, i think we have about the 23rd best group.

An excellent point. We put up 30 points and 400 yards against a very good team yesterday, with AB, Bell, a less than 100% Ladarius Green, and a scrap heap of odds and ends at TE & WR.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:55 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

bingo

And where does the buck stop for no longer going long stretches with the no huddle?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:56 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
3 things

An excellent point. We put up 30 points and 400 yards against a very good team yesterday, with AB, Bell, a less than 100% Ladarius Green, and a scrap heap of odds and ends at TE & WR.

Who is responsible for all these odds and ends that we've accumulated?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:39 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
- Whenever we run 2 straight times people think it's bad play calling. C'mon man.

No...but when we get a manageable third down on our first series of plays after the defense yielded a 7:35 drive, maybe we can dial up a playcall whose first read is designed to pick up the first down instead of being deep down the sidelines?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:39 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
3 things

Who is responsible for all these odds and ends that we've accumulated?

How many top-flight wide receivers do you think we should acquire?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:00 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

bingo

And where does the buck stop for no longer going long stretches with the no huddle?

I wish I knew. Either Tomlin, Haley, or our players inability to do it well. It's embarrassing to see the Giants out there tonight, with no run game, 4 rookies on O, and a shitty OL-- still getting guys wide open and running no huddle the whole game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:36 pm 

Wasn't Tomlins the one that called the no huddle offense a gimmick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:57 pm 

yes, but not necessarily as if that were a bad thing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:39 pm 

I wonder if Ben calling out the younger players was alluding to them not knowing what the fuck to do during no huddle?