It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Todd Haley has no idea what he's doing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:34 am 

Aside from all the Tomlin talk - and I believe it is justified - I'm noticing a disturbing trend concerning how the game is called.

When this team goes no huddle and needs points, even if the opposing defense is trying to stop them as opposed to preventing, we see different routes and playcalls that take advantage of the strength of the team, and provide some complexity the defense isn't ready for.

When Todd Haley is in charge of calling the plays and the Steelers are running the offense out of the huddle - we see tunnel vision essentially as to what gets called. A complete ignorance at the moment or situation in the game, and an all around predictability in which most likely all the fans at home have a 90% chance of guessing what is going to be called.

Todd Haley - he can draw up some nice plays - but the guy should be no where near the headphones on game day.

Everyone predicted the defense would struggle - the best way to help them out is to let the offense score points and force the other team to catch up. Make them one-dimensional.

In that - Todd Haley has utterly failed, and upon reviewing the recent times the offense has gone no-huddle (IE Ben is calling plays), the offense has looked dynamic and dangerous.

My adjustment - run no huddle in at least 2 series per quarter. Take the clipboard out of Haley's hands as much as possible.

Post subject: Re: Todd Haley has no idea what he's doing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:49 am 

I do know he has a knack for killing momentum like no other.

He should be fired for this play sequence alone (I'm pretty sure it wasn't Ben calling these plays).

Dallas had just had that 7:35 drive. The Frenchman had busted off a decent return. We need to get something from the O so the D can catch its breath,

We get this instead:

5-D.Bailey kicks 66 yards from DAL 35 to PIT -1. 33-F.Toussaint ran ob at PIT 32 for 33 yards.
1-10-PIT 32
(5:27) (Shotgun) 26-L.Bell left end to PIT 36 for 4 yards (50-S.Lee).
2-6-PIT 36
(4:54) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 26-L.Bell left tackle to PIT 39 for 3 yards (59-A.Hitchens, 27-J.Wilcox).
3-3-PIT 39
(4:12) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 31 for -8 yards (90-D.Lawrence).
4-11-PIT 31

Draw...run...incomplete pass deep. The two runs were bad enough (including the ever present shotgun draw) but at least they made the third down manageable.

But then, as so often is their wont, the first read on third down was deep down the sidelines to Brown. So the play was designed with deep as the first option.

Utter, complete lack of understanding of the game situation.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:51 am 

Re-visit the Steelers Super Bowl against the Cardinals. For most of the game the Cardinals could do nothing with the talent they had. Todd Haley was their OC.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:52 am 

Lets not forgot the end around that lost roughly 85 yards in the middle of what was a promising drive.

Haley absolutely LOVES to screw up momentum with "cute" calls.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 am 

Colbert, Tomlin, Haley, Mitchell, Smith should all be thrown out the door. I'm undecided on Butler and Porter as they have seriously been handcuffed with for the most part terrible personnel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 am 

dropemjaybird wrote:
Aside from all the Tomlin talk - and I believe it is justified - I'm noticing a disturbing trend concerning how the game is called.

When this team goes no huddle and needs points, even if the opposing defense is trying to stop them as opposed to preventing, we see different routes and playcalls that take advantage of the strength of the team, and provide some complexity the defense isn't ready for.

When Todd Haley is in charge of calling the plays and the Steelers are running the offense out of the huddle - we see tunnel vision essentially as to what gets called. A complete ignorance at the moment or situation in the game, and an all around predictability in which most likely all the fans at home have a 90% chance of guessing what is going to be called.

Todd Haley - he can draw up some nice plays - but the guy should be no where near the headphones on game day.

Everyone predicted the defense would struggle - the best way to help them out is to let the offense score points and force the other team to catch up. Make them one-dimensional.

In that - Todd Haley has utterly failed, and upon reviewing the recent times the offense has gone no-huddle (IE Ben is calling plays), the offense has looked dynamic and dangerous.

My adjustment - run no huddle in at least 2 series per quarter. Take the clipboard out of Haley's hands as much as possible.

Why just the 2 series? Should be pretty much the whole game. Pedal to the metal because it's been proven that they need to put up 40+ a game to ensure a victory.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:13 pm 

The Steelers have forgotten how to set the tone.

I agree completely with
dropemjaybird wrote:
My adjustment - run no huddle in at least 2 series per quarter.

In fact, start the game with it, set the tone, see how it goes and adjust from there

Todd can call plays once we're truly "comfortable"

But, no, this "easing into games" bullshit is killing this offense and the whole team...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:27 pm 

dropemjaybird wrote:

A damned near perfect post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:29 pm 

Come on FC

Lay it on thick

You describe it every week in the podcast
I mentioned it last night after Bens Ps tell to the press

Ben waved off Haleys call to not waste a down.

That is Haleys epitaph......designer of offensive formations, master killjoy, golfing tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:26 pm 

SteelPowerful wrote:
Re-visit the Steelers Super Bowl against the Cardinals. For most of the game the Cardinals could do nothing with the talent they had. Todd Haley was their OC.

That play was a disaster to start out......
Ben was pitching the ball back to AB, who was running 45 degrees towards the Steelers endzone..............hence, he was going to catch the ball about 7 yards behind the LOS and still running backwards at 45 degrees. Just poor angles....
he would have had to run back on a an angle, 10-15 yards towards the opposite side line to get around the defense....before heading upfield.