It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Steelers-Bungs....final notes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:37 am 

Few other things.....

*Boswell...in addition to going 6 for 6, couple from 49 yards, most kicks right down the middle, Bos made arguably one of the game's biggest play with his saving tackle on the kick return when Steelers had narrowed the margin to 17-6. Bungs put three on the board but extending their lead to three scores, at 24-6, might have resulted in a different ending yesterday.

*Eli Rogers....five catches on six targets for 75 yards, most of them freakin' huge. He's stepping up, and let's not ignore Cobi Hamilton's big grab as well. Let's just hope that L.Green is back for Sunday, but even if not, this receiving corps is much more than AB and a collection of dregs.

*Lawrence Timmons....couple huge hits in addition to the pick yesterday.

*Have to cite a line from my esteemed colleague Hesske....Fitzgerald Toussaint on kickoff returns....looks like he's hauling Jackie Gleason in a rickshaw.

*I expected the Bungs to gash the Steelers on the ground yesterday following the exit of Tuitt and Matthews...quite the opposite happened.

*And please....enough bellyaching around limiting LBell's touches. We had a 4-point lead yesterday near game's end. No way am I trusting the Frenchman to tote the rock, exhaust the clock.

Post subject: Re: Steelers-Bungs....final notes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:06 am 

Our kickoff return team and coverage team

Just take a knee and start at the 25

Other than Coates's nice return it's a shit show

Tackling on the coverage team would be great if they can work that into practice this week

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:14 am 

swissvale72 wrote:

*Boswell...in addition to going 6 for 6, couple from 49 yards, most kicks right down the middle, Bos made arguably one of the game's biggest play with his saving tackle on the kick return when Steelers had narrowed the margin to 17-6. Bungs put three on the board but extending their lead to three scores, at 24-6, might have resulted in a different ending yesterday

A four-point difference in a game we won by four points. MVP.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:53 am 

Our offense scares the shit out of me. We look more like a WPIAL Team
than one that wanted to score 30+ a game

Haleys play calling has been horrendous.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:12 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Few other things.....

*Boswell...in addition to going 6 for 6, couple from 49 yards, most kicks right down the middle, Bos made arguably one of the game's biggest play with his saving tackle on the kick return when Steelers had narrowed the margin to 17-6. Bungs put three on the board but extending their lead to three scores, at 24-6, might have resulted in a different ending yesterday.

*Eli Rogers....five catches on six targets for 75 yards, most of them freakin' huge. He's stepping up, and let's not ignore Cobi Hamilton's big grab as well. Let's just hope that L.Green is back for Sunday, but even if not, this receiving corps is much more than AB and a collection of dregs.

*Lawrence Timmons....couple huge hits in addition to the pick yesterday.

*Have to cite a line from my esteemed colleague Hesske....Fitzgerald Toussaint on kickoff returns....looks like he's hauling Jackie Gleason in a rickshaw.

*I expected the Bungs to gash the Steelers on the ground yesterday following the exit of Tuitt and Matthews...quite the opposite happened.

*And please....enough bellyaching around limiting LBell's touches. We had a 4-point lead yesterday near game's end. No way am I trusting the Frenchman to tote the rock, exhaust the clock.

In the game thread at the time I said and rather prophetically that that play was a game saving tackle. Hell of a game by Boz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:15 am 

If Boz forces a touch back instead of kicking to the one yard line, he doesn't have to make saving tackle in the first place. Was at the game on opposite end so I couldn't quite tell where the ball came down.

But Boswell was indeed in fire.

Record is 8 field goals. I have no doubt he could have nailed at least seven.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:33 am 

Still Lit wrote:
If Boz forces a touch back instead of kicking to the one yard line, he doesn't have to make saving tackle in the first place.

Fairly certain there is generally fewer touchbacks when the weather is cold. If I'm hanging on to an old myth, then direct me to my error.

Bullock had several touchbacks against the giants, bos has had plenty of his own this year....both teams yesterday had plenty of opportunities for returns. Leads me to think it was more than just some ineptitude by Bos, but instead that weather was a factor.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:49 am 

StillerInCT wrote:
Our offense scares the shit out of me. We look more like a WPIAL Team
than one that wanted to score 30+ a game

Haleys play calling has been horrendous.

Normally I don't like to make judgements on the play calling until I get a look at the All 22 or a review of some of the key play calls (to try and get a hint if it was Haley or Ben making the calls), but my opinion of Haley's playcalling yesterday is it was one of the worst he's called in his career.

I really couldn't figure out what the hell he was trying to accomplish yesterday. Absolutely nothing I could see built off something else that was called during the game.

And he had at least a half dozen momentum-killing play calls that I counted, including the stupid reverse and the sweep call to Bell 2-3 plays after he had already called it- with the same formation and everything- and right after Ben had AUDIBLED into a telegraphed run call.

And once again we had the delayed runs during the two minute drill (where we ran but 3 plays after the two minute warning in 1:45 before the half, wasting a SHITLOAD of time, probably killing any chance of a TD) and the typical pattern of "call a run play on 2nd and 10 after an incomplete pass".

I swear I was thinking he was being paid off to throw the game.

If he does that against Baltimore, we are getting rolled.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:52 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
In the game thread at the time I said and rather prophetically that that play was a game saving tackle. Hell of a game by Boz

Shortly before that play, Dan Fouts pulled up a stat as to how the Bengals were something like 33-1 (or 38-3...I can't remember the exact stat, but it was some insanely good record) when they scored MORE than 20 points a game over the past several years.

I had that stat in the back of my mind when Boswell made that play- was thinking if the Bungles made it 24-6, we weren't coming back, Terrible Towel Jinx or not.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:59 am 

Jeemie wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

Shortly before that play, Dan Fouts pulled up a stat as to how the Bengals were something like 33-1 (or 38-3...I can't remember the exact stat, but it was some insanely good record) when they scored MORE than 20 points a game over the past several years.

I had that stat in the back of my mind when Boswell made that play- was thinking if the Bungles made it 24-6, we weren't coming back, Terrible Towel Jinx or not.

ya just the whole momentum swing from being held to a fg on offense to giving up a td on the subsequent KO would have been demoralizing and more than likely game set and match. And as an aside except for when Haley gets stupidly cute at the opposing teams 20 or 30 yd line I diddnt have any huge issues with the game he called or our offense in general, as Tomlin said and I agree with him on this pt, Steelers/Bengals have played each other 5 times in the last year, zero secrets between each other, expect more of the same vs Balt altho we get the advantage of being at home for this one.

edit. I think the refs had ALOT to do with stifling our offense. Bengals were getting away with holding or interfering with our WRs all game long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next