It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wild Card Game Timing?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:31 pm 

Esteemed Colleagues of SteelerFury. (Hats off to Swiss for thinking we're esteemed and not coming to the game in lieu of his nice 50" flatscreen, but) Some of us who live out of town need to fly in/get hotel rooms.

I have done this many times from Denver where I live, but have yet to figure out the rhyme or reason for when they will have us play... any help/insight would be appreciated! It's expensive enough now, let alone waiting until after next Sunday.

Excited that my Christmas present for my son (tickets to the then theoretical game) paid off again! Here we go Steelers!

Thanks for any help gang!

"Here’s an absolute rule of Steeler-watching, along with not entertaining any discussion during the game, except for the game. We’re not supposed to ENJOY these games. We suffer through them…and hope we’re happy in the end." Swissvale72

Post subject: Re: Wild Card Game Timing?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:45 pm 

I'm not ruling it out, Bull....just made two round trips to Pittsburgh driving in the last couple of weeks, so thinking I'll eschew this one for the comforts of home, in that those comforts just got more comfortable.

That said....I still scout out ticket availability, think about scheduling, etc.

My prediction....Steelers will be in the Saturday night game. Here's who will NOT be in the Saturday night game...and that's the Houston Texans. Before ESPN started getting the Saturday games, it was more predictable. On an annual basis, would rotate between one network having 8pm Saturday, 1pm Sunday.....and the other network having 4:30pm both days. Then, you can start ruling out shit. For instance, if Atlanta wins next week, Seattle will NOT be in the 1pm Sunday timeslot. Unfortunately, none of this stuff may be confirmed until next Sunday night preventing the 7 day advance.

Sometimes, it seems as though they retreat to the annual alternating. If that's the case, in 2014, Steelers were in Saturday night, Colts-Bungs were Sunday 1pm. If that's the case this year, it WILL be Steelers in the primetime Saturday game as it will not be Texans in prime time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:53 pm 

Saturday night is a good bet, but not guaranteed.

A likely New York Giants/Green Bay Packers tilt is setting up at Lambeau. That would be an excellent Saturday night matchup.

So I could see the Steelers at 1:00 on Sunday against Miami, and Seattle hosting Detroit or Washington for the 4:30 game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:54 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

A likely New York Giants/Green Bay Packers tilt is setting up at Lambeau. That would be an excellent Saturday night matchup.

So I could see the Steelers at 1:00 on Sunday against Miami, and Seattle hosting Detroit for the 4:30 game.

Seems likely. Texans/whoever is a stone cold lock for the early Saturday game

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:03 pm 

COS wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

So I could see the Steelers at 1:00 on Sunday against Miami, and Seattle hosting Detroit for the 4:30 game.

Seems likely. Texans/whoever is a stone cold lock for the early Saturday game

All that sounds right.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:14 am 

Thanks guys for the help. Glad to be in this predicament at least!

Swiss, if you can find a way to get there, would love to meet up. I think I speak for all (or at least the reasonable) that you are the most esteemed "poaster" on these interwebs.

"Here’s an absolute rule of Steeler-watching, along with not entertaining any discussion during the game, except for the game. We’re not supposed to ENJOY these games. We suffer through them…and hope we’re happy in the end." Swissvale72

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:15 am 

Oh, and Jeemie, love your new avatar! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:53 am 

I am pretty sure the Steelers wont be on Saturday night - after all they played Saturday night in the wild card game in the last two years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:00 am 

Ok, this is my forecast of the wild card schedule:

Saturday 4.30 pm: Oak or KC @ Houston

Saturday 8.15pm: NY @ GB

Sunday 1pm: Miami @ Pittsburgh

Sunday 4.15pm: Washington @ Seattle

I agree that Houston is the lowest draw so likely the Saturday first game. The NFC is due the prime time Saturday night game, and Giants at Packers is the better of the two NFC games. Seattle is on the West coast, so it would have to be a 4pm game; that leaves, in all likelihood, the 1pm on Sunday for the Steelers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:14 am 

SteelBull wrote:
Thanks guys for the help. Glad to be in this predicament at least!

Swiss, if you can find a way to get there, would love to meet up. I think I speak for all (or at least the reasonable) that you are the most esteemed "poaster" on these interwebs.

Thanks Bull...appreciate the sentiments....will let you know if I'm making the trip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:43 am 

Looking way ahead.....assuming Steelers win in the WC round, hope they don't get the short week and scheduled for a Saturday game, say in Oakland for the Divisional Round.

Again, used to be that the scheduling alternated by conference every year. If AFC games were 8:30 Saturday, 1pm Sunday in 2008, they would have 4:30 Saturday & Sunday starts in 2009. Past two years at least, AFC got the pair of 4:30 starts. One thing we know is that if Steelers are going to Oakland, it won't be the Sunday 1pm start.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:09 pm 

I'm forgetting a lot of things, either due to old age or alcohol abuse (or both), but I thought they plan for the division round to have the 1 seeds on sunday and the 2 seeds on saturday. At an attempt at fairness they then put the 3/6 wild card games on saturday and the 4/5 games on sunday.

I'm thinking then that it would be
Skins at Packers sat afternoon
Fins at Steelers sat night
KC/Oak at texans sun morning
Giants/Packers sun afternoon

glad you are heading to the game steelbull. Steelers record with you and your son in the house is pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:00 pm 

Why wouldn't the highest seeds get the longest days between games? I would think the 3 seeds get the preference for the Sunday game.

However it looks like they did AFC Saturday and NFC Sunday last year.

http://cdn.fbschedules.com/downloads/2015-16-nfl-playoff-schedule.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:04 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
I'm forgetting a lot of things, either due to old age or alcohol abuse (or both), but I thought they plan for the division round to have the 1 seeds on sunday and the 2 seeds on saturday. At an attempt at fairness they then put the 3/6 wild card games on saturday and the 4/5 games on sunday.

glad you are heading to the game steelbull. Steelers record with you and your son in the house is pretty good.

You have the Packers playing twice. :D

It would be Skins/Seattle.

And I disagree with your timings because Giants/Packers is a made-for-primetime matchup.

The only wildcard matchup where each team would have a "marquee" quarterback.

Plus, there's recent postseason history between those two teams. In both the Giants' two Super Bowl runs, the Giants upset a heavily favored Packers team at Lambeau.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:05 pm 

I want Miami, but then I remember they have Ajayi.

Motherfucker is a horse.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:04 pm 

If I had to guess, i'm thinking the Steelers play the Fins on Sunday, which would be perfectly fine with me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:10 pm 

I want Miami because we already lost to them and got trucked by them in the process in an embarrassing loss, Steelers will be much much better prepared this time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:36 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

You have the Packers playing twice. :D

It would be Skins/Seattle.

And I disagree with your timings because Giants/Packers is a made-for-primetime matchup.

The only wildcard matchup where each team would have a "marquee" quarterback.

Plus, there's recent postseason history between those two teams. In both the Giants' two Super Bowl runs, the Giants upset a heavily favored Packers team at Lambeau.

Packers are popular. They might try to get them on twice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:23 pm 

Hahaha Lifelong. Yes the Packers could pull that off.

And yes, when we both go to the playoff games it's like money. Browns 2002, Broncos 2005, Baltimore (twice can't remember) we always win. We're not going to count the tebow game or last year however because that would ruin the plan.

But I'm with Frenchy on the schedule guess though. Plus he (the real one) signed my Terrible Towel years ago.

Sure hoping for Sunday, but still on hold at this point. Thanks for the input everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:44 pm 

I'm just wondering if there is a method to the madness (1's on sunday, 2's on saturday) beyond just what teams can be put on when to get the best ratings.

Seems like 3/6 games are on saturday and 4/5 games are on sunday.

But as mentioned, and later proven, i'm getting old and I remember a lot of things incorrectly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:15 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
I'm just wondering if there is a method to the madness (1's on sunday, 2's on saturday) beyond just what teams can be put on when to get the best ratings.

But as mentioned, and later proven, i'm getting old and I remember a lot of things incorrectly.

I don't think there's a method. I think it's primarily tied to ratings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:58 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

Yeah i think you are right. Last year both AFC games were on saturday. the year before they had the 4/5 NFC game and the 3/6 AFC game on saturday.

With that in mind, and without having the packers play twice, i think we'll see the following
- Giants at Packers is the biggest game. I expect it on Sunday late afternoon
- Dolphins at Steelers will follow the past two years and be on Sat night
- Seahawks are west coast, so you can't put them in the early window sun, so they'll be the sat afternoon game
- That leaves Chiefs at Texans for sunday morning

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:17 pm 

We played the Phins in the heat, let's get them in the cold. A night game helps.

Bring it on...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:32 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

Yeah i think you are right. Last year both AFC games were on saturday. the year before they had the 4/5 NFC game and the 3/6 AFC game on saturday.

With that in mind, and without having the packers play twice, i think we'll see the following
- Giants at Packers is the biggest game. I expect it on Sunday late afternoon
- Dolphins at Steelers will follow the past two years and be on Sat night
- Seahawks are west coast, so you can't put them in the early window sun, so they'll be the sat afternoon game
- That leaves Chiefs at Texans for sunday morning

The NFL PTB want their best game on Saturday night, not Sunday afternoon. It's been that way ever since the Snow Bowl Tuck Rule Game in 2001.

And the game with the lowest appeal is almost always the Saturday afternoon game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:35 pm 

When is the announcement made? Sunday after the games?