It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Shazier guy, or not?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 5894
SteelBack wrote:
Shazier is looking like a classic workout warrior. Fast track speed but poor vision/instincts and no ability to beat blocks means he'll play a lot slower on the field.

Isn't an impact tackler. Wrap and drag from behind is his style.

I hope he proves me wrong.


Assuming he learns to diagnose plays quickly, with his speed I'm betting on lots of tackles.

He can be a special player. The negativity for this guy is brutal.

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier guy, or not?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 pm
Posts: 2331
BarryFoster wrote:
SteelBack wrote:
Shazier is looking like a classic workout warrior. Fast track speed but poor vision/instincts and no ability to beat blocks means he'll play a lot slower on the field.

Isn't an impact tackler. Wrap and drag from behind is his style.

I hope he proves me wrong.


Assuming he learns to diagnose plays quickly, with his speed I'm betting on lots of tackles.

He can be a special player. The negativity for this guy is brutal.


I think he can get a lot of tackles. The question is whether those tackles will be at the LOS or TFL or 5-7 yards down the field. I think he can be a solid player, just not live up to his draft position, which I think was a round too early.

_________________
Image

This is what mediocrity looks like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier guy, or not?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 271
I don't watch Ohio State football, so I have no first hand knowledge on Shazier.

But, several of my close friends are die-hard Buckeyes and they tell me Shazier is an "animal". They tell me he is relentless, mean, and extremely talented.

I realize they are bias but they hate the Steelers and they seemed actually annoyed that we graBbed another Buckeye to play with Heyward.

_________________
"Believe!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier guy, or not?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 pm
Posts: 2331
steelman65 wrote:
I don't watch Ohio State football, so I have no first hand knowledge on Shazier.

But, several of my close friends are die-hard Buckeyes and they tell me Shazier is an "animal". They tell me he is relentless, mean, and extremely talented.

I realize they are bias but they hate the Steelers and they seemed actually annoyed that we graBbed another Buckeye to play with Heyward.


I suggest you watch for yourself some of his game film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsLmhJuHs8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iep9UmzmT7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Po4n2xehbc

Pay attention to his path to the ball and ability to beat blocks.

_________________
Image

This is what mediocrity looks like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier guy, or not?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:10 am
Posts: 1067
Shazier struggled anytime he faced a quality team or opponent.

I had Shazier 96th on my top 100 board...I believe Shazier's fit in the draft is where the Steelers drafted Dri Archer.

I concede another shitty GM like Kevin Colbert would have reached for Shazier

Shazier does not play fast when he is asked to

Take on blocks
Read and React

Despite his timed speed Shazier does not play fast against the run

_________________
Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier guy, or not?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm
Posts: 1625
Serious question. Do teams actively seek out and try to understand the extreme opposing viewpoint on potential draft picks, especially first rounders?

I know FC (now EFCE it appears), Zivco, and many others were highly critical of Shazier before the draft. If I'm part of the brain trust that is an NFL front office and we're vetting these kids who are so important to the future, I would want to seek out every educated opinion within reason that I could. I would have staffers scouring the internet looking for those opinions - especially the ones that differ from our own (many here accuse the Steeler FO of group think). If a staffer brought me an opinion to review that I then determined seemed well researched and valid, I'd invite them in to make their case. Maybe watch some film on the player and discuss what we see.

I realize this may sound funny but I am serious. Do teams do this kind of thing?

Now picture Kevin Colbert in a room having a conversation with Zivco and his Cartman-impersonating-Dog-the-Bounty-Hunter sounding ass :lol:

_________________
Get well soon, Matt Murray


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier guy, or not?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:05 pm 
Y-Town Steel wrote:
Now picture Kevin Colbert in a room having a conversation with Zivco and his Cartman-impersonating-Dog-the-Bounty-Hunter sounding ass



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2lSDetRrNk

Here is what is funny. On first rounders under Colbert/Tomlin the only real criticism I've had was Mendenhall over Brown and I wanted to trade down and grab Staley in 2007. There were a couple players I had even with Jones last year. Most of the time I've been good with 2 out of 3 on the first three picks and hated most of the rest. This year it's the opposite.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier guy, or not?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 3565
Y-Town Steel wrote:
Serious question. Do teams actively seek out and try to understand the extreme opposing viewpoint on potential draft picks, especially first rounders?

I know FC (now EFCE it appears), Zivco, and many others were highly critical of Shazier before the draft. If I'm part of the brain trust that is an NFL front office and we're vetting these kids who are so important to the future, I would want to seek out every educated opinion within reason that I could. I would have staffers scouring the internet looking for those opinions - especially the ones that differ from our own (many here accuse the Steeler FO of group think). If a staffer brought me an opinion to review that I then determined seemed well researched and valid, I'd invite them in to make their case. Maybe watch some film on the player and discuss what we see.

I realize this may sound funny but I am serious. Do teams do this kind of thing?

Now picture Kevin Colbert in a room having a conversation with Zivco and his Cartman-impersonating-Dog-the-Bounty-Hunter sounding ass :lol:


Educated opinion... scouring the internet... does not compute.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier guy, or not?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 1886
I'm willing to give the guy a chance. Is this fair? Or should I crucify him before he's taken one NFL snap?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shazier guy, or not?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 pm
Posts: 2331
The Pierogi wrote:
Educated opinion... scouring the internet... does not compute.


Discounting an opinion just because it is found on the Internet is as foolish as defending one just because it was made by a paid professional.

_________________
Image

This is what mediocrity looks like.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], H0bb3s, JackSplat58, Majestic-12 [Bot], StillerInCT, Vertical Steel and 47 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group