It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Shazier guy, or not?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:30 pm 

Zivco wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Christ....if you're so good at evaluating talent send a resume into the Steelers.....you'd probably have to start at the bottom.....like pee wee football in Florida. ...but at least you would get your foot in the door.

I'm fine with just Jesus. The only reason I go to pee wee football games is to eyeball the cheerleaders. I understand the process...and my complete inability to access it at any level at this point...so my wisdom must be contained by this message board...it will hardly be the first time in human history that the process has denied greatness. Perhaps in the future someone stumbles across these words and it's all Kafka/Van Gogh/Galileo/Poe..

You go to pee wee football games to eyeball pee wee cheerleaders?

I think, or hope you meant pee wee players moms.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:07 pm 
Luca Brasi wrote:
You go to pee wee football games to eyeball pee wee cheerleaders?

I think, or hope you meant pee wee players moms.

I thought the humor was obvious. I'm straight up legal tender...never got the milf thing though...even thinking about it feels treacherous...much prefer 20 to 35 even though I'm 44...most of gen Xer broads are complete bitches at this point even if they weren't years ago...the later boomer broads had a much more indulgent, selfish, fun loving approach to their 40s then the current crop of cunts who have replaced the F in milf with an S as in slap...and anyway the bloom is gone and the thickening of gravity has taken a firm hold by 35...40 on rare occasion...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:04 pm 

Zivco wrote:
I find it funny that you think old, rickety ass Foote was any sort of solution.

What is funny is that your read that in there in an attempt to be--- funny. What I said was Foote was making plays and having a career year because teams were forcing him to make plays because they were scheming away from Timmons.

Zivco wrote:
I want my HC having final word in all my shopping. My thoughts on armchair QBs doing a better job is exactly because of the franchises like the ones you mentioned...no matter how many are employed I think nearly every post 80s great team has had two or less decision makers. This idea that the PS scouting staff are equally weighted or take some sort of vote is ridiculous.

If you are having the HC make the final word, why even have a GM? Thats kind of a pussy way out. Then you can blame the coach for signing off on the pick. Coaches can suggest but as Parcells famously said "They arent letting us pick out the groceries" You ask your scouting department to go find guys and analyze them and give you information, youre not giving them a say in making the pick.

Zivco wrote:
It was very clear what I prioritized before the draft. I have called him many things...but not a bust.

So what did you prioritize before the draft? What were your reasons for these priorities? Did they allow for team scheme, personality, ability to sign this guy in the future, and the current and future cap implications?

We can dance around words and its your right to be critical of the pick. But you have been the most vocal in your critique based on opinion and relying your layman skills as a talent evaluator.No one can say he's going to be this or that, until he is or isnt making plays in games. Which is my point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:34 am 
VeritasSteel wrote:
What is funny is that your read that in there in an attempt to be--- funny. What I said was Foote was making plays and having a career year because teams were forcing him to make plays because they were scheming away from Timmons.

Foote played about a half game last season.

VeritasSteel wrote:
If you are having the HC make the final word, why even have a GM? Thats kind of a pussy way out. Then you can blame the coach for signing off on the pick. Coaches can suggest but as Parcells famously said "They arent letting us pick out the groceries" You ask your scouting department to go find guys and analyze them and give you information, youre not giving them a say in making the pick.

I think most of the staff is superfluous. I think it's the HC and GM that make the decision. I'm sure they have watched all the tape as well. I'm sure they listen to what others have to say about the picks. But ultimately only one guy can determine the pick...I want it to be the HC. It's his ass that's most on the line. Ultimately I believe that's what the situation is in Pittsburgh...as Tomlin has been quoted as having at least as much power in the draft as Colbert. I think mostly all SB winning HC's have that sort of authority.

VeritasSteel wrote:
So what did you prioritize before the draft? What were your reasons for these priorities? Did they allow for team scheme, personality, ability to sign this guy in the future, and the current and future cap implications?

I was clearly OT, ILB, CB. My first round OT's were gone...I would have selected Mosely. TP at ILB 50% of second half season snaps is plenty of reason. I obviously accounted for scheme and Saban called Mosely "the smartest player he ever coached". Contract 2 considerations are nonsense at the fail rate and I don't think there has been a hold out since the rookie cap.

VeritasSteel wrote:
We can dance around words and its your right to be critical of the pick. But you have been the most vocal in your critique based on opinion and relying your layman skills as a talent evaluator.No one can say he's going to be this or that, until he is or isnt making plays in games. Which is my point.

I don't label anyone a bust until year 3. This was a horrible pick. My "layman" skills seem to be doing better then the "experts" big boards the past 5 seasons. We'll see in August...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:32 am 

Zivco wrote:
I don't label anyone a bust until year 3. This was a horrible pick. My "layman" skills seem to be doing better then the "experts" big boards the past 5 seasons. We'll see in August...

Yeah, Veritas, get it right! He's not a bust (yet), just a horrible pick! :roll:

Where's the documentation to support this claim that you've been "doing better then the experts" at evaluating draft prospects for the past five years?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:10 am 

The Pierogi wrote:
Where's the documentation to support this claim that you've been "doing better then the experts" at evaluating draft prospects for the past five years?

I'm not making the case for or against Zivco, but from what I've seen there's a lot of "safety" in group think. By that I mean you can take consensus rankings, break them into a handful of groups, put them in a hat and do as well as the "people paid to do this for a living".

There was like 5 years in a row where PIT absolutely hit on R1 pick after R1 pick....Troy, Ben, Miller, Holmes...They looked like geniuses, then I guess reversion to the mean.

Put it this way.....if you're Colbert and you want to keep your job, you're never drafting AB in R1, for multiple reasons. Being an NFL GM is all about outrunning the guy next to you and not outrunning the bear.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:08 am 

I'm interested in the potential of the players we draft every year. I'm going to be curious to see how they do in the NFL. While I appreciate the opinions on how a player is going to fit from all corners, I'm going to wait and see with my own eyes.

I certainly hope that Shazier does well, it's SBI. I put SBI above all opinions.

Jax wrote:
It ain't going to be pretty, but the Steelers aren't about pretty are they? I'll take 11 ugly wins and a spot in the playoffs...Get your antacid of choice ready and enjoy that shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:26 am 

I hope Shaz is another Kuechly with is basically the Troy archetype but of course bigger. As we all know that's much more than speed and athleticism, That's football instincts, toughness and nose for the ball. All indications is that he doesn't have it.

As for the draft from everything I saw I thought that we would take the #1 ILB with that being Mosley as the pick and said so pre-draft. Here's to Shaz being a a success and Mosley a failure because that's the cards we were dealt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:09 am 
The Pierogi wrote:
Yeah, Veritas, get it right! He's not a bust (yet), just a horrible pick!

You might not understand it...but I'm certain many do...it's fine to say about anything about a pick...except he's a bust, no chance to play in the NFL, about anything except he's a certain failure. For me, it's not superstition...it's acknowledging players like Hines Ward who really don't look like NFL players even after 2 years in the NFL. Now Ward was a later round pick that didn't have much receiver experience but it took 3 years for him to figure things out.

The Pierogi wrote:

I don't need no stinking documentation. Obviously that's something next to impossible to provide some sort of legitimate proof of life for. But last year I read an analysis of the final big boards of various draft gurus vs what the actual NFL did....and the "gurus" were nearly across the board superior. I really don't care about accuracy of mock drafts...what I'm interested in is the success rate of the top 100. So...the "experts" are doing better then the NFL, and I'm doing better then the "experts"...but you will have to take my word for it.

Kodiak wrote:
By that I mean you can take consensus rankings, break them into a handful of groups, put them in a hat and do as well as the "people paid to do this for a living".

Yep. That's better written then my names and rounds on lottery balls approach.

SteelerzEdsaL7 wrote:
As for the draft from everything I saw I thought that we would take the #1 ILB with that being Mosley as the pick and said so pre-draft. Here's to Shaz being a a success and Mosley a failure because that's the cards we were dealt.

Pretty much where I'm at. I can understand how an analyst can get sucked in by his speed. I get that they can improve his football IQ over time. I know they can hide some of his problems with taking on blockers to some degree. The thing that has me so negative is I flat out don't think he can tackle most NFL RBs and TEs one on one.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8