It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dupree hit on Moore
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:13 pm 

Just saw this article. Does anyone agree with this? I honestly didn't think it shoulda been a penalty. Maybe I just haven't adjusted my perception of what's legal/illegal.

On a side note, it reminded me of Clark nearly killing Willis McGahee in 08.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/bud-dup ... eo-suspend

Post subject: Re: Dupree hit on Moore
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:14 pm 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
Just saw this article. Does anyone agree with this? I honestly didn't think it shoulda been a penalty. Maybe I just haven't adjusted my perception of what's legal/illegal.

On a side note, it reminded me of Clark nearly killing Willis McGahee in 08.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/bud-dup ... eo-suspend

By letter of law should've been a pen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:17 pm 

This is the NFL now. It sucks. The crack back block was worse. It's getting to the point where you'll have to let your guy get tackled instead of making a block and go for everyone's legs to avoid helmet to helmet penalties. That will cause a lot more lower body injuries. We've always joked about putting flags on the QBs but seriously, are we getting close to that? That has to be the next step. They've made the window to actually tackle them so small you almost have to go to flags to keep from having a penalty every time there's a sack.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:18 pm 

I thought Bud may have killed him

I was shocked when Moore returned to the game

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:19 pm 

RemoAZ wrote:
This is the NFL now. It sucks. The crack back block was worse. It's getting to the point where you'll have to let your guy get tackled instead of making a block and go for everyone's legs to avoid helmet to helmet penalties. That will cause a lot more lower body injuries. We've always joked about putting flags on the QBs but seriously, are we getting close to that? That has to be the next step. They've made the window to actually tackle them so small you almost have to go to flags to keep from having a penalty every time there's a sack.

I had no issue with penalty at all. Crack back call was utter BS.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:21 pm 

RemoAZ wrote:

I swear I saw Malcolm Floyd make the same crack back block in week 17 v Miami with nothing but praise for his hustle.

The inconsistencies in what's called is what make all these rules so infuriating and frustrating.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:22 pm 

steelclan wrote:
RemoAZ wrote:

I had no issue with penalty at all. Crack back call was utter BS.

I'm sure you've tackled someone at some level. It's hard not to lead with your head, especially at the speed these guys are going. They called it by rule so I've become numb to that for the most part but it really is getting hard to actually make a legal play on the QB without slowing down. Problem is when you slow down in this league, you either get beat or hurt.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:23 pm 

Quote:
Luke Kerr-Dineen is a writer and editor at FTW who likes all sports, but especially golf and soccer.

All you need to know about that article.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:23 pm 

SP wrote:
Quote:
Luke Kerr-Dineen is a writer and editor at FTW who likes all sports, but especially golf and soccer.

All you need to know about that article.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:26 pm 

Led helmet first and hit him in the jaw. Clear penalty.

Literally jumped up with that hit. Moore was tough as nails, and made some fine throws on third down. Played admirably for a backup, but that's a tough spot on the road, down big early, and your run game getting stuffed. Could've been a lot closer game without some very timely turnovers.