It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Discounting the first matchup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:05 pm 

What the fuck is wrong with these idiotic talking heads?

Yes, I know we aren't gonna beat them 43-14. Yes I know "they're different now." (chiefs that is)

But I just saw yet another idiot, Jimmy Johnson talk about how Ben throwing downfield plays into the Chiefs hands.

Huh?

You can't just act like the first game never happened. And I fully expect a truly competitive game....but to throw the results of the first asskicking out the window is just plain stupid and shows your bias.

Same people pick against us consistently.

And lastly, we are different from the first matchup also. We are better.

Fake news now on sports channels also?

:roll:

Post subject: Re: Discounting the first matchup
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:19 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:

Yes, I know we aren't gonna beat them 43-14. Yes I know "they're different now." (chiefs that is)

But I just saw yet another idiot, Jimmy Johnson talk about how Ben throwing downfield plays into the Chiefs hands.

Huh?

You can't just act like the first game never happened. And I fully expect a truly competitive game....but to throw the results of the first asskicking out the window is just plain stupid and shows your bias.

Given weather and Chefs poor run D I agree Ben going downfield in wind, ice rain etc is frankly very risky. As for the match-up, Chefs get back Houston though how many snaps he'll play is up for debate. Chefs are missing key pieces on dline and Johnson was far and away their best run defender. This is a day for Ben to throw 15 times and Bell to run, run, Dwill series then Bell run some more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:23 pm 

steelclan wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:

Huh?

Given weather and Chefs poor run D I agree Ben going downfield in wind, ice rain etc is frankly very risky. As for the match-up, Chefs get back Houston though how many snaps he'll play is up for debate. Chefs are missing key pieces on dline and Johnson was far and away their best run defender. This is a day for Ben to throw 15 times and Bell to run, run, Dwill series then Bell run some more.
And what happens if the O line isn't dominating? What happens if they come out flat, and can't run the ball to save their life?

I'm concerned they will force the issue when it's not working. Then they get pass happy in Q4 and hope nothing bad happens in a freezing downpour.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:24 pm 

Guess my point is that regardless of the Steelers game plan in this wet, cold rematch, they probably have a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:40 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Guess my point is that regardless of the Steelers game plan in this wet, cold rematch, they probably have a chance.
You're not living up to your avatar.

What's wrong with you? :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:43 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
You're not living up to your avatar.

What's wrong with you? :D

I know, sorry..

I feel like we have a very good team. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:43 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
steelclan wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:

Huh?

And what happens if the O line isn't dominating? What happens if they come out flat, and can't run the ball to save their life?

I'm concerned they will force the issue when it's not working. Then they get pass happy in Q4 and hope nothing bad happens in a freezing downpour.

All good points Cor-Ten. And when is everyone going to realize that DWill is not getting carries unless Bell get's injured. It's not how Tomlin and Haley roll.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:09 pm 

the talking heads are unbelievable idiots

One guy today says the Steelers season has been very "up and down" so he expects down this week

Wait, we won 9 games in a row!

where the fuck is the 'up and down'?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:16 pm 

Chiefs are catching as ass kicking tomorrow. They wont get 45 layed on em, but thats just because both teams going to be heavy slanted to the run.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:27 pm 

as I said in another thread, I understand the idea of discounting our game in Mia against the Fins, because:
1.Ben got injured in that game
2. we were missing 5 starters on Defense

I knew we were a different team from that day

But I don't see the Chiefs being very different from the reg season game.

Their personnel is identical except for JHouston

I don't expect a 30 point win, but I won't simply say that KC is a "totally different team" -- they are not

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:27 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:

Of course we have a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:30 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:

Of course we have a chance.

Yes, -a chance of kicking their ass again

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:29 pm 

steel wrote:
as I said in another thread, I understand the idea of discounting our game in Mia against the Fins, because:
1.Ben got injured in that game
2. we were missing 5 starters on Defense

I knew we were a different team from that day

But I don't see the Chiefs being very different from the reg season game.

Their personnel is identical except for JHouston

I don't expect a 30 point win, but I won't simply say that KC is a "totally different team" -- they are not

We lost Cam Heyward and Markus Wheaton and added Shazier, Tuitt, Dupree, Davis, Ayers. They lost a less-than-100% Charles, their best defender other than maybe Peters Derrick Johnson; added a less than 100% Houston.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:45 pm 

While I don't think we have come far enough to call this a great defense, I do think they've stepped up enough that I'm seeing how they potentially could be.

If they can elevate what they did last Sunday up a notch they'll slow offenses enough we will find ourselves in the SB.

I'm looking forward to seeing this unit next year with the addition of Heyward and another quality draft.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:48 pm 

Quote:
Markus Wheaton

Ayers has looked better in limited action than Wheaton shows as a starter.

Barring that game against Seattle.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:05 am 

i honestly don't think some of them (talking heads) are aware we played earlier this year based on the analysis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:49 am 

I am actually kind of bewildered that many are not talking about how Kansas City has many players on defense that are nursing injuries or won't play because they are out on IR.

Derrick Johnson is a 4 time Pro Bowl ILB, who not only is good against the run but also dropping into coverage. For his career he has 70 passes defensed, 14 INTs and he returned 4 of those for TDs. In the previous game before that Pittsburgh loss, Johnson had 10 tackles and a 55 yard INT return for a TD against the NY Jets. Bell only had 5 catches for 34 yards against KC in the win. Now, wth Johnson on IR, who exactly is going to limit Bell to a mere 5 catches?

It isn't just Johnson on IR, DE Allen Bailey and DT Jaye Howard are also both on IR too. Those are 3 players that will miss the game that played in the first matchup.

S Eric Berry injured his achilles but will play today. RB Spencer Ware has some injured ribs, OLB Houston has had swelling in that repaired knee. WR Maclin is dealing with a sprained ankle.

Why the talking heads are not bringing up the health of KC is puzzling. If we had S Mike Mitchell with an injured achilles, if we had Bell playing with some injured ribs, if we had Harrison with swelling in his knee, if we had Brown dealing with a sprained ankle and if we had put Shazier on IR, the media would give us no chance at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:10 am 

Steelers have played the Chiefs three times since Andy Reid became their coach.

They won the two matchups when Ben was the QB rather handily both times (although the first one, a 20-12 win, was helped along by curious game management decisions by Coach Reid).

Ben played very well in both those games.

Bell played extremely well in this year's matchup, OK in the 2014 game (20 rushes for 63 yards and one TD).

And even though the Steelers lost in KC last year 23-13, that was with Landry Jones at QB, and he had a very mediocre game...and yet it was still 16-13 until there were about 5 minutes or so left in the game...the outcome very much in doubt almost until the end.

There's a reason is point spread is only 1 to 1-1/2.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:13 am 

I was just over at fivethirtyeight.com, and they have it 64%/36% Chiefs/Steelers chance of victory.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... id=rrpromo

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is- ... akthrough/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:16 am 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
Markus Wheaton

Ayers has looked better in limited action than Wheaton shows as a starter.

Barring that game against Seattle.

Ayers is definitely shaping up to be an upgrade over Wheaton -- But early in the season, losing our #2 and #3 WR's (Bryant and Wheaton) was very significant.
The young guys (Rogers and Ayers) have obviously stepped up in a big way.
I hope Coates can re-capture some of his early season magic today. Would love to see him take the cover off the defense with a couple deep throws early.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:17 am 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
I was just over at fivethirtyeight.com, and they have it 64%/36% Chiefs/Steelers chance of victory.

Like Hillary -- those guys are clueless

I'm feeling this can be a Steelers blowout, but I am predicting only a 3 point win the score game. But there is definitely a chance we blow them out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:19 am 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

Fivethirtyeight should stick to politics. There is nothing to show their methodology works for sports....and no way to prove it anyway, since we can't run real-world simulations of this game thousands of times.

I prefer the wisdom of crowds to their methodology when it comes to sports.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:20 am 

steel wrote:
StillMadAtSlobber wrote:

Like Hillary -- those guys are clueless

I'm feeling this can be a Steelers blowout, but I am predicting only a 3 point win the score game. But there is definitely a chance we blow them out.

Dude...when we were having the argument over betting odds, you quoted fivethirtyeight's "64% chance the Chiefs will win" multiple times.

Good on you for finally seeing the light.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:30 am 

Scunge wrote:
I am actually kind of bewildered that many are not talking about how Kansas City has many players on defense that are nursing injuries or won't play because they are out on IR.

Derrick Johnson is a 4 time Pro Bowl ILB, who not only is good against the run but also dropping into coverage. For his career he has 70 passes defensed, 14 INTs and he returned 4 of those for TDs. In the previous game before that Pittsburgh loss, Johnson had 10 tackles and a 55 yard INT return for a TD against the NY Jets. Bell only had 5 catches for 34 yards against KC in the win. Now, wth Johnson on IR, who exactly is going to limit Bell to a mere 5 catches?

It isn't just Johnson on IR, DE Allen Bailey and DT Jaye Howard are also both on IR too. Those are 3 players that will miss the game that played in the first matchup.

S Eric Berry injured his achilles but will play today. RB Spencer Ware has some injured ribs, OLB Houston has had swelling in that repaired knee. WR Maclin is dealing with a sprained ankle.

Why the talking heads are not bringing up the health of KC is puzzling. If we had S Mike Mitchell with an injured achilles, if we had Bell playing with some injured ribs, if we had Harrison with swelling in his knee, if we had Brown dealing with a sprained ankle and if we had put Shazier on IR, the media would give us no chance at all.

Bell in the passing game is what I want to see. I don't think anyone on the Chiefs can handle him there. That is the biggest mismatch to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:31 am 

Chidi Iwuoma wrote:
i honestly don't think some of them (talking heads) are aware we played earlier this year based on the analysis

really -- it's unbelievable

and yet, before the Fins game, all we heard about was the beat down they gave us in the regular season!

This time around, no one gives 2 shits that we crushed this team earlier this season