It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Behind Enemy Lines: Tuesday Night
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:30 am 

Spent much of the evening watching the DVRd Felger & Mazz show, four hours of talk radio. They discussed today's pressers. Local scribes HATE Belichick, simply because he's so fuckin' rude to them. They also feel as though Brady was either ill or pissed off at his presser. They talked alot about the respect engendered by the Steelers even though they hate them, stressing the constancy of the Black & Gold, no changes in their logo, their uniforms,the identity of the team, etc.

Most instructive though was their segment with Paul Parillo, who is essentially the Bob Labriola of the New England Patriots. He writes the Patriots Weekly, but unlike Labriola, is not an unabashed homer. He's of the mind that Patriots defense does not measure up to their statistics. The convo centered on Pats perhaps being okay with LBell running for a ton of yards as running the ball the whole way down the field is a tough way to score. They expect Pats to double AB....leaving Ben to throw to the bunch of nobodies.

On the Pats offensive side, consensus is that they're missing Gronk big-time as Martellus Bennett is now fading,having caught 1 pass for 4 yards last week. They're all VERY impressed with Bud Dupree

They think it will come down which QB plays better.

As for me....I was more hopeful than anything else Monday & Tuesday, feeling that a Steeler victory in Foxboro in the AFCCG, having gone on record as it being my top non-sexual fantasy, was too good to be true.

As today has gone one, I find myself growing more and more confident....feeling similar to how I was feeling last week, that being that the Steelers are simply the better team. And...Patriots aren't the ballhawks in the secondary, don't have the special teams explosion as did the Chiefs. That said though....Tom Brady is not Alex Fuckin' Smiff.

Post subject: Re: Behind Enemy Lines: Tuesday Night
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:36 am 

We need Coach P's take, Swiss.

When are you talking to him?

Edit...missed it in the SBI thread!

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:47 am 

I just saw some clips from Marsha's presser and also thought she looked ill. Eyes kind of sunken, red outlines around them, and pale complexion.

Swiss it's Wednesday night man, not Tuesday. Beat Jeemie to it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:39 am 

agree with your evolution of feelings toward this game

felt a sliver of hope but a bit overmatched at the beginning of the week, now i'm thinking it's a coin flip, one that mostly comes down to whether we'll utilize the superior talent we have at our disposal; facing an opponent we'd like nothing more than to absolutely embarrass helps in that regard.

reading some of the threads on Ben's 'issues' as of late, i'm almost convinced it's psychological as much as anything. maybe playing an opponent he knows we can't beat with attrition football will put him in end-of-the-Baltimore-Ravens-game 'slinger mode from the outset.

a man can dream.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:04 am 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
I just saw some clips from Marsha's presser and also thought she looked ill. Eyes kind of sunken, red outlines around them, and pale complexion.

Swiss it's Wednesday night man, not Tuesday. Beat Jeemie to it!

It is??? Great!! Gameday is closer than I thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:16 am 

Okay....and this has nothin' to do with nothin, but ever since the Penguins won the Stanley Cup, I thought Steelers would win the Super Bowl this year. It's the historical symmetry thing. Last time Steelers won the Super Bowl, Penguins went on to win the Stanley Cup.

And look at this parallel.....with about 16, 17 games left in the season, there was doubt Pens would even make the playoffs. Then they won all but one meaningful games down the stretch and we just knew they had to win it THIS year. Steelers sit at 4-5...haven't lost since. And many were discounting first two wins, against shitty Browns and Luckless Colts. Then came the Jints and it was for real. Steeler also need to do it THIS year. It's there for the taking!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:57 am 

I think it all comes down to QB play. Ben has to play an Arizona SB type of game. He cannot force throws or make critical mistakes, and need to execute with precision in the RZ.

Le'Veon will move the ball, but Ben has to get it in the endzone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:00 am 

I/m still in the camp that believes had we stuck with LeVeon in the RZ against the Chiefs, we wouldn't have had to rely on the six-pack of Bozweiser to get us to Foxborough. We had a very good weapon going that we holstered in the RZ in favor of the passing game.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:03 am 

stillenigma wrote:
I think it all comes down to QB play. Ben has to play an Arizona SB type of game. He cannot force throws or make critical mistakes, and need to execute with precision in the RZ.

Le'Veon will move the ball, but Ben has to get it in the endzone.

An Arizona Super Bowl-type game might not be enough...remember, he was actually somewhat pedestrian for about half of that game.

We need a 2005 AFC Championship-type performance...from Ben and from Todd Haley.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:21 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Okay....and this has nothin' to do with nothin, but ever since the Penguins won the Stanley Cup, I thought Steelers would win the Super Bowl this year.
Did BR's comments in his interview reminded you of Crosby's interviews during the SC run? "Enjoy the moment," "Might not ever be here again," "I keep telling the young guys. . . " etc etc. I know it sounds just like "playoff speak," but I wonder how much cross pollination happens with sports franchises.