It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: We did what we do? What do we do now?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:36 pm 

Just a thought to share with my long suffering Steeler fan brethren (by that I mean long suffering at the hands of the Patriots)

This loss to the Patriots is a good thing.

The Steelers just ended a 4th straight year of growth, fueled mostly by an upgrade at numerous roster spots, but also via some tinkering in offensive and defensive philosophy. And yes, some growth by Tomlin - who is a much better game day coach than he was 4 years ago.

At this point, minus a few pieces, the Steelers have gone about as far as they can with current scheme and approach. Thankfully, Tomlin's statements to the contrary notwithstanding, this is now obvious. (and btw - why do some of you insist on taking Tomlin's public statements literally?). I think Tomlin is shellshocked - he brought his best game plan with his best players in years and got his ass handed to him. That's some life changing shit.

We did what we do to the best of our ability and it's not close to enough. Something different is needed.

On the defensive side of the ball the trajectory is solid, and the next steps, at least to me are obvious. By almost any statistical metric the defense was better than the offense this year.

Butler should be retained to help raise his young studs and to implement the more complex coverage packages required to compete with the NFL's top QB's. Colbert needs to get him 1-2 pass rushers. Easy.

The offense is the real culprit, both during the season, and yes, during the Pats loss. Hogan running free down the seam is fresh in our memories, but the D had enough stops to win a high scoring game. The offense didn't play it's part. 3 and out to start the game. 3 and out to start the 2nd half. Two trips inside the 5 without a TD. Fumble deep in our own territory. That won't get it done.

The fixes here aren't as obvious, but it's hard to point anywhere but at Haley. His multiyear plan to get Ben to change his game has had some high points, but ultimately it has failed when needed most. Consistency is required and this combo of OC and QB can't deliver it. Haley must go.

And one more thing. Tomlin needs to look in the mirror and reevalulate the coach he is and the coach he wants to be. The apparent lack of discipline from his players should tell him that his players coach routine might need some fine tuning.

I'm optimistic moving forward, as I think we have the players to win big in the league. I think Tomlin is a good coach who is still evolving and has just learned an important lesson.

A few minor adjustments and I really like our chances during Ben's remaining years

Post subject: Re: We did what we do? What do we do now?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:38 pm 

Disagree with nearly all of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 pm 

The D had enough stops to win a high-scoring game?

What the fuck game were you watching?

The Patriots scored on 7 of their first 9 drives!

And then they took their foot off the gas.

No doubt in my mind had the Steelers O kept it close they would have poured it on and scored even more points.

I also wish I had your faith in Tomlin's continued growth. His evolution is PAINFULLY slow.

I do agree if any coordinator has to go, it's Todd Haley, though.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

Last edited by Jeemie on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

No doubt in my mind had the Steelers O kept it close they would have poured it on and scored even more points.

The Pats could have scored 65+ on us if they felt like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:58 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

That's kind of how high scoring games go.

Even down 17-9 at half, we are a good opening drive away from being right in the game.

Here's one thing to consider. Everyone knows the Pats have a great offense. Everyone knew we would need to score 27+ and keep possessions to a relative minimum. We couldn't do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:04 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Even down 17-9 at half, we are a good opening drive away from being right in the game.

Here's one thing to consider. Everyone knows the Pats have a great offense. Everyone knew we would need to score 27+ and keep possessions to a relative minimum. We couldn't do it.

The Patriots had the number one scoring defense in the league. They have shut pretty much everyone down.

Getting into a shootout was not the way to go. And if that was the strategy, then Ayers should have dressed ahead of Toussaint, and the first big play of the game should not have gone to a guy who had a 30% drop rate and was a complete mess. The AFCCG was not the time to see if Coates finally had his shit together.

The last time the Steelers were in a high-scoring game, Ayers played and made key plays. Sent deep, he drew a DPI...something Coates can't figure out how to do....and he hasn't had a key play since the Jets' game.

The STs also had their best effort of the season the week before...without Toussaint.

They didn't need him for STs.

That's all on Coach Tomlin.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:21 pm 

I like how we are now commending a growth opportunity for a 10 year head coach with a 14 year vet at QB.

If Tomlin hasn't learned by now, he ain't learning.

I bet there are a hundred unemployed coaches out there that wish they could be afforded the opportunity to shit the bed whenever they wanted and still have a QB to keep them relevant.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:25 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
I think Tomlin is a good coach who is still evolving and has just learned an important lesson.

You need to get a grip on reality.

This is the best Mike Tomlin we're ever going to see.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:21 pm 

Tomlin has peaked

Let's not delude ourselves

He didn't sound like he was hurting today...lots of the same cliques as always

Tomlin needs a far shot over the bow

Gosh I miss Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:31 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

The Patriots had the number one scoring defense in the league. They have shut pretty much everyone down.

Getting into a shootout was not the way to go. And if that was the strategy, then Ayers should have dressed ahead of Toussaint, and the first big play of the game should not have gone to a guy who had a 30% drop rate and was a complete mess. The AFCCG was not the time to see if Coates finally had his shit together.

The last time the Steelers were in a high-scoring game, Ayers played and made key plays. Sent deep, he drew a DPI...something Coates can't figure out how to do....and he hasn't had a key play since the Jets' game.

The STs also had their best effort of the season the week before...without Toussaint.

They didn't need him for STs.

That's all on Coach Tomlin.

Do you believe the Pats D is better than the Pats O? If so, you're probably the only one.

I agree with you on Ayers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next