It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We did what we do? What do we do now?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:36 pm 

Just a thought to share with my long suffering Steeler fan brethren (by that I mean long suffering at the hands of the Patriots)

This loss to the Patriots is a good thing.

The Steelers just ended a 4th straight year of growth, fueled mostly by an upgrade at numerous roster spots, but also via some tinkering in offensive and defensive philosophy. And yes, some growth by Tomlin - who is a much better game day coach than he was 4 years ago.

At this point, minus a few pieces, the Steelers have gone about as far as they can with current scheme and approach. Thankfully, Tomlin's statements to the contrary notwithstanding, this is now obvious. (and btw - why do some of you insist on taking Tomlin's public statements literally?). I think Tomlin is shellshocked - he brought his best game plan with his best players in years and got his ass handed to him. That's some life changing shit.

We did what we do to the best of our ability and it's not close to enough. Something different is needed.

On the defensive side of the ball the trajectory is solid, and the next steps, at least to me are obvious. By almost any statistical metric the defense was better than the offense this year.

Butler should be retained to help raise his young studs and to implement the more complex coverage packages required to compete with the NFL's top QB's. Colbert needs to get him 1-2 pass rushers. Easy.

The offense is the real culprit, both during the season, and yes, during the Pats loss. Hogan running free down the seam is fresh in our memories, but the D had enough stops to win a high scoring game. The offense didn't play it's part. 3 and out to start the game. 3 and out to start the 2nd half. Two trips inside the 5 without a TD. Fumble deep in our own territory. That won't get it done.

The fixes here aren't as obvious, but it's hard to point anywhere but at Haley. His multiyear plan to get Ben to change his game has had some high points, but ultimately it has failed when needed most. Consistency is required and this combo of OC and QB can't deliver it. Haley must go.

And one more thing. Tomlin needs to look in the mirror and reevalulate the coach he is and the coach he wants to be. The apparent lack of discipline from his players should tell him that his players coach routine might need some fine tuning.

I'm optimistic moving forward, as I think we have the players to win big in the league. I think Tomlin is a good coach who is still evolving and has just learned an important lesson.

A few minor adjustments and I really like our chances during Ben's remaining years

Post subject: Re: We did what we do? What do we do now?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:38 pm 

Disagree with nearly all of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 pm 

The D had enough stops to win a high-scoring game?

What the fuck game were you watching?

The Patriots scored on 7 of their first 9 drives!

And then they took their foot off the gas.

No doubt in my mind had the Steelers O kept it close they would have poured it on and scored even more points.

I also wish I had your faith in Tomlin's continued growth. His evolution is PAINFULLY slow.

I do agree if any coordinator has to go, it's Todd Haley, though.

Last edited by Jeemie on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

No doubt in my mind had the Steelers O kept it close they would have poured it on and scored even more points.

The Pats could have scored 65+ on us if they felt like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:58 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

That's kind of how high scoring games go.

Even down 17-9 at half, we are a good opening drive away from being right in the game.

Here's one thing to consider. Everyone knows the Pats have a great offense. Everyone knew we would need to score 27+ and keep possessions to a relative minimum. We couldn't do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:04 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Even down 17-9 at half, we are a good opening drive away from being right in the game.

Here's one thing to consider. Everyone knows the Pats have a great offense. Everyone knew we would need to score 27+ and keep possessions to a relative minimum. We couldn't do it.

The Patriots had the number one scoring defense in the league. They have shut pretty much everyone down.

Getting into a shootout was not the way to go. And if that was the strategy, then Ayers should have dressed ahead of Toussaint, and the first big play of the game should not have gone to a guy who had a 30% drop rate and was a complete mess. The AFCCG was not the time to see if Coates finally had his shit together.

The last time the Steelers were in a high-scoring game, Ayers played and made key plays. Sent deep, he drew a DPI...something Coates can't figure out how to do....and he hasn't had a key play since the Jets' game.

The STs also had their best effort of the season the week before...without Toussaint.

They didn't need him for STs.

That's all on Coach Tomlin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:21 pm 

I like how we are now commending a growth opportunity for a 10 year head coach with a 14 year vet at QB.

If Tomlin hasn't learned by now, he ain't learning.

I bet there are a hundred unemployed coaches out there that wish they could be afforded the opportunity to shit the bed whenever they wanted and still have a QB to keep them relevant.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:25 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
I think Tomlin is a good coach who is still evolving and has just learned an important lesson.

You need to get a grip on reality.

This is the best Mike Tomlin we're ever going to see.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:21 pm 

Tomlin has peaked

Let's not delude ourselves

He didn't sound like he was hurting today...lots of the same cliques as always

Tomlin needs a far shot over the bow

Gosh I miss Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:31 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

The Patriots had the number one scoring defense in the league. They have shut pretty much everyone down.

Getting into a shootout was not the way to go. And if that was the strategy, then Ayers should have dressed ahead of Toussaint, and the first big play of the game should not have gone to a guy who had a 30% drop rate and was a complete mess. The AFCCG was not the time to see if Coates finally had his shit together.

The last time the Steelers were in a high-scoring game, Ayers played and made key plays. Sent deep, he drew a DPI...something Coates can't figure out how to do....and he hasn't had a key play since the Jets' game.

The STs also had their best effort of the season the week before...without Toussaint.

They didn't need him for STs.

That's all on Coach Tomlin.

Do you believe the Pats D is better than the Pats O? If so, you're probably the only one.

I agree with you on Ayers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:44 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
The offense is the real culprit, both during the season, and yes, during the Pats loss.

I stopped reading here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:47 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Just a thought to share with my long suffering Steeler fan brethren (by that I mean long suffering at the hands of the Patriots)

The Steelers just ended a 4th straight year of growth, fueled mostly by an upgrade at numerous roster spots, but also via some tinkering in offensive and defensive philosophy. And yes, some growth by Tomlin - who is a much better game day coach than he was 4 years ago.

At this point, minus a few pieces, the Steelers have gone about as far as they can with current scheme and approach. Thankfully, Tomlin's statements to the contrary notwithstanding, this is now obvious. (and btw - why do some of you insist on taking Tomlin's public statements literally?). I think Tomlin is shellshocked - he brought his best game plan with his best players in years and got his ass handed to him. That's some life changing shit.

We did what we do to the best of our ability and it's not close to enough. Something different is needed.

On the defensive side of the ball the trajectory is solid, and the next steps, at least to me are obvious. By almost any statistical metric the defense was better than the offense this year.

Butler should be retained to help raise his young studs and to implement the more complex coverage packages required to compete with the NFL's top QB's. Colbert needs to get him 1-2 pass rushers. Easy.

The offense is the real culprit, both during the season, and yes, during the Pats loss. Hogan running free down the seam is fresh in our memories, but the D had enough stops to win a high scoring game. The offense didn't play it's part. 3 and out to start the game. 3 and out to start the 2nd half. Two trips inside the 5 without a TD. Fumble deep in our own territory. That won't get it done.

The fixes here aren't as obvious, but it's hard to point anywhere but at Haley. His multiyear plan to get Ben to change his game has had some high points, but ultimately it has failed when needed most. Consistency is required and this combo of OC and QB can't deliver it. Haley must go.

And one more thing. Tomlin needs to look in the mirror and reevalulate the coach he is and the coach he wants to be. The apparent lack of discipline from his players should tell him that his players coach routine might need some fine tuning.

I'm optimistic moving forward, as I think we have the players to win big in the league. I think Tomlin is a good coach who is still evolving and has just learned an important lesson.

A few minor adjustments and I really like our chances during Ben's remaining years

Most of the points here are just ancillary noise. The real problem is how could that be the game plan? How? Everybody in the free fucking world knows that approach will get you murdered by the Patriots every goddamn time. What good is all the team building he's done if he seriously couldn't grasp that his plan of attack was flat out dumb.

Tomlin has designed, built and orchestrated a top 5 NFL team. Props to him because that isn't a small feat. He deserves much credit.

However, what he presented to the world on Sunday was absolutely unacceptable and idiotic. Most here call him and idiot and moron liberally. I don't. But what happened Sunday has sincerely damaged my confidence in Tomlin ever adapting and thus ever winning another SB unless the cards fall perfectly in his favor.

Cowher did at the end. So, I suppose it's possible. But after what I witnessed on Sunday, I just have very low expectations that it will occur.

I am so fucking bummed. I can honestly say I have never been as bummed after a Steelers loss.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:08 pm 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
Cowher did at the end. So, I suppose it's possible.

"Doing what we do" with Cowher is a bit inaccurate. He tried - unsuccessfully - many different approaches (with mediocre QB's) to get over the hump.

Cowher's problem was less an unwillingness to be different in the playoffs, and more that he didn't prepare the team throughout the year to be more versatile. Tried to "flip a switch" and the execution at times looked like a team doing something entirely new.

Belicheat isn't a good standard for comparison. But one area where Belicheat distinguishes himself from most other coaches is he's always preparing his team to be capable of doing something different when the other team takes what they like to do best away.

While Tomlin fellates position flexibility, Belicheat is building a team with scheme flexibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:12 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Do you believe the Pats D is better than the Pats O? If so, you're probably the only one.

I believe the Pats' D wa highly underrated by us as Steelers fans.

They surrendered 15.6 PPG.

I don't care who they played to do that...that is impressive.

Branch is an incredible run stopper. McCourty and Butler and world-class defensive backs.

And...the entire unit, like the offense, is Belichick-coached. That means disciplined with few mistakes.

To get into a shootout required the Steelers to be firing on all cylinders on offense.

If the plan was a shootout, Tomlin should be strung up because he took a bullet out of the chamber and relied on a damaged weapon and two rookies to execute flawlessly.

If that wasn't the plan...if the plan was to play ball control and limit possessions and damage by the Pats...Tomlin should be strung up because he instituted a game plan that didn't have a chance in hell of succeeding.

On top of that, his team was caught off-guard by New England's fast no-huddle...even though they do it all the time.

He didn't have his team study the flea flicker on film...even though they used it on the Ravens in December.

Knowing that Belichick pulls out new wrinkles in the playoffs, he tried to coach like it was the Pats who let the middle collapse last week and wouldn't try to fix it.

His team didn't realize a receiver who averaged 29.9 YPC would be featured and running the Gronk routes...even though New England media reported he'd be running the Gronk routes early in the week.

So on top of a ridiculous game plan, he had his team woefully unprepared for the team he was going to face.

So I ask you...do you really think he gave it his best shot, and it was just that the Patriots were that much better?

I don't know about you, but I don't think failing to study and prepare for wrinkles, operating a variant of a defensive scheme that has been shredded many times before, missing key intelligence that was just put out there in the media, and having an offense rely on a guy he KNEW was nursing a groin injury was "giving it your best shot".

And if TOMLIN thinks so...really thinks so...then we're fucked.

Because he did NOT put in an effort that was championship-worthy.

He was NEGLIGENT, and his boss should fucking call him on the carpet for that and tell him the time is over for trying to coast to a title.

The guy who got up out of bed late at night before Super Bowl XLIII to think of ways to give his team any extra edge against a potent Cardinals' offense had BETTER show up again.

Because THAT Mike Tomlin hasn't been around these parts in some time.

Think about this. People in the media have questioned Mike Tomlin's competence before...that's not new.

Now he's getting called out IN GAMES.

Phil Simms tries to be as polite as can be. I can't ever...EVER...remember him calling out a coach like he called out Mike Tomlin WHILE THE GAME WAS HAPPENING. I can't EVER remember him saying the equivalent of "What the fuck are you DOING?'

And this time, the media's not just questioning him...they're LAUGHING at him.

Think on that...they're LAUGHING at him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:31 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

I believe the Pats' D wa highly underrated by us as Steelers fans.

They surrendered 15.6 PPG.

I don't care who they played to do that...that is impressive.

Branch is an incredible run stopper. McCourty and Butler and world-class defensive backs.

And...the entire unit, like the offense, is Belichick-coached. That means disciplined with few mistakes.

To get into a shootout required the Steelers to be firing on all cylinders on offense.

If the plan was a shootout, Tomlin should be strung up because he took a bullet out of the chamber and relied on a damaged weapon and two rookies to execute flawlessly.

If that wasn't the plan...if the plan was to play ball control and limit possessions and damage by the Pats...Tomlin should be strung up because he instituted a game plan that didn't have a chance in hell of succeeding.

On top of that, his team was caught off-guard by New England's fast no-huddle...even though they do it all the time.

He didn't have his team study the flea flicker on film...even though they used it on the Ravens in December.

Knowing that Belichick pulls out new wrinkles in the playoffs, he tried to coach like it was the Pats who let the middle collapse last week and wouldn't try to fix it.

His team didn't realize a receiver who averaged 29.9 YPC would be featured and running the Gronk routes...even though New England media reported he'd be running the Gronk routes early in the week.

So on top of a ridiculous game plan, he had his team woefully unprepared for the team he was going to face.

So I ask you...do you really think he gave it his best shot, and it was just that the Patriots were that much better?

I don't know about you, but I don't think failing to study and prepare for wrinkles, operating a variant of a defensive scheme that has been shredded many times before, missing key intelligence that was just put out there in the media, and having an offense rely on a guy he KNEW was nursing a groin injury was "giving it your best shot".

And if TOMLIN thinks so...really thinks so...then we're fucked.

Because he did NOT put in an effort that was championship-worthy.

He was NEGLIGENT, and his boss should fucking call him on the carpet for that and tell him the time is over for trying to coast to a title.

The guy who got up out of bed late at night before Super Bowl XLIII to think of ways to give his team any extra edge against a potent Cardinals' offense had BETTER show up again.

Because THAT Mike Tomlin hasn't been around these parts in some time.

Think about this. People in the media have questioned Mike Tomlin's competence before...that's not new.

Now he's getting called out IN GAMES.

Phil Simms tries to be as polite as can be. I can't ever...EVER...remember him calling out a coach like he called out Mike Tomlin WHILE THE GAME WAS HAPPENING. I can't EVER remember him saying the equivalent of "What the fuck are you DOING?'

And this time, the media's not just questioning him...they're LAUGHING at him.

Think on that...they're LAUGHING at him.

We all knew coming into this game that our odds of winning were low right? The ESPN stats geeks had us with a 25% chance of winning. That was because we could only win 1 specific type of game. The Steelers had to possess the ball with long drives and convert at a high rate in the redzone.

The D would have been shredded in either man or zone, blitz or not. In fact I heard as much all week. The offense had to deliver a specific type of game and they couldn't.

3 moments stood out to me where if the offense performs we have a close game
- Opening drive Pats shred us and we get lucky and hold them to 3. Ben goes deep on 3rd and short and we go 3 and out. A reeling defense gets put right back onto the field
- We don't sneak Ben and settle for 3
- 3 and out to open the second half. It was clear the Pats would score 4-5 points per possession. Down 8 with the ball we're in it. The 3 and out was killer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:32 pm 

tunch wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
I think Tomlin is a good coach who is still evolving and has just learned an important lesson.

You need to get a grip on reality.

This is the best Mike Tomlin we're ever going to see.

Exactly...Tomlin changing is wishful thinking. He is what he is...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:39 pm 

Execution errors don't happen at random in a vacuum, Lifelong.

And one could easily say 14 Patriot points were scored because Robert Golden bit on an eye fake when he didn't even have to because the side of the field he got faked to was covered, me Mitchell bit on that flea flicker the Steelers didn't bother to study on film.

You didn't answer the question...sure the Steelers were likely to lose.

That doesn't mean they were likely to be embarrassed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:26 am 

Great points! We have nothing to ever look forward to. It's over. ;)

How about some draft analysis now!

And on the bright side, we now get a better pick (30) than otherwise, plus we can go to and possibly enjoy a SB party!

I know I don't have to keep reading stuff here, so that's on me, but it's been a long time that I have so it's now a habit. It's just hard to deal with all the negativity sometimes. Again, I know I'm free to just move along so no need to remind me of that.

"Here’s an absolute rule of Steeler-watching, along with not entertaining any discussion during the game, except for the game. We’re not supposed to ENJOY these games. We suffer through them…and hope we’re happy in the end." Swissvale72

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:43 am 

Quote:
And yes, some growth by Tomlin - who is a much better game day coach than he was 4 years ago.

Are you certain of that?

You are referring to a coach who just this season elected to go for 2 when simply kicking the extra point meant a FG couldn't beat us or tie or some shit like that. I don't remember the exact particulars.

If Swiss finds his way into this thread he will remember. That guy has a damn photographic memory when it comes to stuff like that.

Either way, I don't think a coach who makes such brainless decisions is "better" by any stretch.

In some regards, his fly by the seat of his pants decisions have gotten more frequent & worse.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:57 am 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
And yes, some growth by Tomlin - who is a much better game day coach than he was 4 years ago.

Are you certain of that?

You are referring to a coach who just this season elected to go for 2 when simply kicking the extra point meant a FG couldn't beat us or tie or some shit like that. I don't remember the exact particulars.

If Swiss finds his way into this thread he will remember. That guy has a damn photographic memory when it comes to stuff like that.

Either way, I don't think a coach who makes such brainless decisions is "better" by any stretch.

In some regards, his fly by the seat of his pants decisions have gotten more frequent & worse.

Was 2nd Bungals game....mid 4Q, Tomlin goes for 2 with a 4-pt. lead, fails....meaning if Bungs had scored TD w' extra point, Steelers FG then ties, not wins. Had Steelers simply kicked for a 5-pt. lead, would have been Bungs needing to go for 2 after TD to extend the lead to 3. Bottom line....was dumb for Tomln to go for 2....only thing gained is advantage if Bungs had scored TD, then missed extra point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:55 am 

Lifelongsteel wrote:

that's another excellent and considered post, during a tough week when logic is out the window here because of anger and disappointment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:03 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

that's another excellent and considered post, during a tough week when logic is out the window here because of anger and disappointment.

It is? The loss is a good thing?? Sorry....don't see it, and don't believe my inability to see it is due to anger and disappointment. My assessment?
*It's NOT life-changing shit for Tomlin and he won't have learned a goddamn thing from this experience.
*Todd Haley is going nowhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:41 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

+1, great post.

I'm sick of the offense not playing up to it's potential. FINALLY, B2B, I'm starting to wish Haley gone as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:51 am 

I'll be ok with Haley staying as long as Ben can take the reins and make ALL the calls. They best be getting together soon and implementing this by early camp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:01 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
I'll be ok with Haley staying as long as Ben can take the reins and make ALL the calls. They best be getting together soon and implementing this by early camp

I would love to see a minor shakeup, and if it has to be Haley that gets the boot, so be it. I haven't been as down on him as some, but my recent concern is that we cant seem to run any sort of a balanced offense. With Bell firing at all cylinders, the passing game's effectiveness dropped considerably. It seems to be an either or, either Ben carries the team and throws for 300 yards and 4 TDs when Bell is out, or Bell carries the team and Ben throws 3 picks (I realize that's an exaggeration but that's how it felt over the end of the season). When we finally had the three B's healthy and available, somehow the offense took a step backwards. That's concerning. I realize the #2 WR issue and lack of a TE threat played into this considerably, but we still have plenty of weapons on offense.

I am resigned to accept that no changes will happen because nobody gets fired for making it to the AFCGG.