It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Coach P's Take...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:57 pm 

Dear Dave,

Well, it’s over and post-game analysis permeates the town and we may as well put in our two cents worth. The outcome of the game will assuredly not change .I’ll stick to honest facts and nothing else.

My pre-game prediction had me saying the Steelers would win. I said the Steelers are the better team and the defense has improved. I said this Steeler defensive improvement should make the difference as we know what our offense is with the talent. I said the Steeler defense should have success in pressing Brady and that will be the secret to the game. I said that if Brady gets time, he will pick you apart. I went on to say that, “ deep team focus before the game will not matter once the game starts, that events of the game take over and pre-game game planning will be revealed. You can’t predict fumbles, picks, injuries, etc.” Never did I think that the Steelers would use a Tampa 2 defense with three down linemen and the other eight playing a zone, as that defense dictates .If there is a defense that creates “easy pickings” for Brady, it’s the Tampa 2. ( This was Tomlin’s defense when he was with the Tampa Buccaneers.) Number one, you get very little pressure on Brady with three down linemen and putting your OLB’s, Harrison and Dupree, for the most part, in coverage. The game plan was to attempt to blitz up the middle, as Houston did, to apply pressure on Brady. The Patriot offensive line was prepared for that and Hargrave’s sack was the only sack of the game, one other occurred by Tuitt, late in the game, when the outcome was decided. Number two, the Tampa 2 creates a lot of holes in the zone coverage and you have to have top notch DB’s to react and cover accordingly .Brady still has a rifle arm and zips it in before the Steeler DB’s could react, that also gave the Patriot receivers, a lot of additional running room, after their catch. In the Houston-Patriot game, Brady threw mostly to Amendola, Edelman, White, Lewis and Bennett, hardly throwing to Hogan. The Steelers saw that on film and as a result were not prepared for his patterns. As we know, Belichick is no dummy, that’s the way he operates and they made Hogan their prime receiver and he catches for 180 yards. A Steeler DB said after the game “ we were surprised with Brady’s up tempo”. Goodness gracious, what would they expect. A no-huddle, up tempo game against a Tampa 2 zone defense was tailor made for Brady. You could see that the Tampa 2 wouldn’t work and instead of a half time adjustment, they stuck with it. It may have been because of a false sense of security with the halftime score being 17-6 and just missing a late first half TD, that would have made it 17-13. Also, it was probably determined that receiving the second half kick-off could result in 3 or 7 points. When there was a three and out, the Patriots scored on their next three possessions and it was over. Defensively, the bottom line was that the Tampa 2 game plan would never have stopped Brady, as his ability to tear up a zone defense is well documented in the NFL. O’Brien, the Houston head coach and his defensive coordinator, Crennell spent a lot of years coaching with the Patriots. They knew how to defense the Patriots in the previous playoff game against the Patriots. It was successful but their QB didn’t play well enough. They had constant pressure on Brady, chugged the receivers and played the receivers tight causing Brady to be sacked, hurried or having to throw off balance and out of his rhythm.

Offensively, Ben played well enough to win most games but playing against Brady is not most games. Bell’s injury could have hurt but there was no question the Patriots were focused on shutting him down and Williams, as he always does, didn’t hurt the cause. The Pats had a good lead and the run had to be abandoned. Coates and Hamiltons’s drops could have changed some momentum. Most certainly, the first and goal on the half foot line was a result of the offensive line, for maybe the few times in the game, did not produce. Why, they stay away from a QB sneak is beyond my football intellect. It was a first class mistake. Roger’s fumble was the nail in the coffin, as the Patriots picked up a TD on that. Some say the officiating was bad. There were five penalties in the game. The Patriots had two for ten yards, the Steelers had three for nineteen yards. As there is in every game, there were two, what could be called questionable. The Brady fumble on the QB sneak was a play where Brady fell on the ball, very close to the ground and actually was not s fumble.A hoard of guys jumped on the ball and 100 instant replay cameras could never see what happened after that. Who comes up with the ball 10 seconds later is insignificant. The game announcers were incorrect when they said the official said immediately, it is a Pittsburgh recovery. Officials never say that in that type of play, they simply, after it is determined who recovered, point in the direction of the recovery team. It was seen in the initial fumble sequence that the ball was in Brady’s gut and that’s why, after the instant replay, the official ruled it New England’s ball. If your rooting for the Steelers, your loyalty will reveal your feelings but you have to try and stay away from that. The other call was, some though Jesse James was interfered with. In that game, there was occasional shoving on both sides and the officials stayed away from calling it. Looking at it with factual analysis, the officiating was a non-factor in the game.

It just wasn’t the Steeler’s day, the other guys, on that day were the better team. Ben said it when he said, “ we were outplayed and out coached.” It is tough for those who hate the Patriots to say it but Belichick and Brady are the best in the NFL. You have to play an outstanding game to beat them because they will take advantage of every weakness you have. They can’t do it all of the time, they can be beat, they are not invincible but you better have a near perfect game plan and play mistake free football.

We have our thoughts on the game and most certainly, the fans around Pittsburgh had their thoughts, yesterday on the call-in talk shows with all types of opinions and very few were complimentary but that’s the nature of the game.

Ron Cook, in his day after the game Post-Gazette article said “ the Steelers just got crushed”. In his article he made reference to Antonio Brown’s video of the after the KC game locker room quote by Tomlin where Tomlin called the Patriots ( bleep--------) Cook’s last paragraph in the article said, “They never had a chance( Steelers). The bleeps were just too good.”

We know that losing is tough, winning is a joy. It’s like life, ups and downs. It’s tough to take but you have to move on. It’s only a game and not life threatening. Four teams made it to the “ Final Four.” Pittsburgh was one of them and have won six Super Bowls bringing football joy to the “Steeler Nation”.

God Bless,

Bill

Post subject: Re: Coach P's Take...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:10 pm 

That was great. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:12 pm 

Give thanks to Coach P for the explanation on the non-fumble call. I can live with that, now.

I hope Coach still has contacts inside the organization because he should send his analysis of the defense, and their failure to be ready for the up-tempo game, directly to Mike Tomlin and Keith Butler.

As for this:

Quote:
In the Houston-Patriot game, Brady threw mostly to Amendola, Edelman, White, Lewis and Bennett, hardly throwing to Hogan. The Steelers saw that on film and as a result were not prepared for his patterns. As we know, Belichick is no dummy, that’s the way he operates and they made Hogan their prime receiver and he catches for 180 yards.

you're telling me the Steelers' coaches went up against the God of Changing it Up by primarily studying film of the last game that team played and preparing as if that's the Patriots' team you'll get? That is utterly moronic. Additionally, Boston media was reporting that Hogan was running Gronk's routes, so maybe the Steelers could have studied up on Gronk's routes instead of thanking their lucky stars that Gronk was out.

Inexcusable preparation for Belichick in championship week. Tomlin deserves to be called on the carpet for that.

Like I said, if this team wants championships, the braintrust needs to work on the assumption that the Patriots will be standing in their way, and their team and their philosophy should be geared to beat them. And they should be working on stuff to beat them from training camp.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

Last edited by Jeemie on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:13 pm 

Excellent analysis by Coach P. especially Tomlin and Butler's stubborness employing Tampa 2. Fucking still enrages me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:14 pm 

I like this guy.

He's right though, the result isn't life threatening. It has also created some enjoyable banter on this board over the last few days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:19 pm 

JackLambert58 wrote:
Excellent analysis by Coach P. especially Tomlin and Butler's stubborness employing Tampa 2. Fucking still enrages me.

BTW, if anyone wants to take a trip down memory lane, here was Halloween eve in 2006 The Patriots shredded the Minnesota Vikings 31-7. Tom Brady was 29/43 for 372 yards with 4 TDs and 1 INT.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2006103000/2006/REG8/patriots@vikings#tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Anyone remember who the Vikings' defensive coordinator in 2006 was?

What was that about "learning from this", Lifelongsteel?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:20 pm 

Steelers penalties - 3 for 19 yards?

Shazier got a 15 yard penalty by himself.

In any case - the parts about the Tampa 2 and the defense is spot on, as is the QB sneak.

You don't need to be a football coach to see the stupidity in this coaching staff mistakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:25 pm 

In the regards to the fumble... the officials shouldn't bother seeing who recovers then.

You can't fly into a pile to see who comes up with it if you've decided Brady fell back on the ball. That wreaks of "If the Steelers have it, I'm saying 1st down Patriots anyway".

If you don't care about who recovers, then just signal first down right away and explain why rather than waiting to see who has the ball.

I don't know if there was any "conspiracy" there, but the NFL should change the thought process there. The official should signal right away if they don't care who recovers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:27 pm 

I'm not sure I share Coach P's blame of the O-line for the failure at the one foot line.

Haley set that up for failure with his heavy packed formation that allowed all 11 Patriots to be up on or near the LoS.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:41 pm 

Coach P pretty much summing up exactly what I suspected and said post game. The fact the Steelers pissed away 5 pts before halftime emboldened Tomlin and Butler to double down on that horrendous and idiotic defensive game plan. Again this loss had zero to do with Jimmies and Joes and everything to do with Xs and Os and that's why most here are still infuriated with Tomlins defensive gameplan. And Jeemie pointing out above that Tomlin as DC of the Vikings also got shredded with his vaunted Tampa 2 scheme, that is just inexcuseable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next