It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:31 pm 

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/02/08/tony-dungy-deion-sanders-stealing-signals

Quote:
Dungy referenced a Monday night game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2005 where the team thought that former Colts assistant Bruce Arians told his new team the Colts' signals. In the first quarter of that game, a signal was given to receiver Marvin Harrison that Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor thought was a run, but the play was actually a pass that went for 80 yards and a touchdown.

So we tried to pull a Ernie Adams...but got dusted for our troubles ? :lol:

Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:10 pm 

DrMalba wrote:

Quote:
Dungy referenced a Monday night game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2005 where the team thought that former Colts assistant Bruce Arians told his new team the Colts' signals. In the first quarter of that game, a signal was given to receiver Marvin Harrison that Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor thought was a run, but the play was actually a pass that went for 80 yards and a touchdown.

Ah, so THAT'S why Bruce got fired when the defense lost them a playoff game! That explains everything.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:16 pm 

Bruce got fired because Ben was getting killed in his offense.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:18 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
DrMalba wrote:

Quote:

Ah, so THAT'S why Bruce got fired when the defense lost them a playoff game! That explains everything.

I'm confused. 2005 when Taylor got burned for a long TD was the regular season @ colts game, the same year steelers beat colts in playoffs and went on to win SB. Arians was WR coach...continued to be for 2 more years, then 4 as OC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:22 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:

Ben was getting killed because he had a shit OL and refused to throw it away. Ben got hit just as much-- actually more-- in the first few years of Haley, with less production.

Arians refused to build around the run and be subservient to the team's owner, and that got him fired.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:23 pm 

Miter Saw wrote:
[I'm confused. 2005 when Taylor got burned for a long TD was the regular season @ colts game, the same year steelers beat colts in playoffs and went on to win SB. Arians was WR coach...continued to be for 2 more years, then 4 as OC.

It was a joke-- at some point in the future, Lebeau shit the bed against Tebow and Arians got fired. My point was: maybe the defense shit the bed because Bruce gave the defense tips for how to beat Tebow or something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:09 pm 

Quote:
Arians refused to build around the run and be subservient to the team's owner, and that got him fired.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

Ben was getting killed because he had a shit OL and refused to throw it away. Ben got hit just as much-- actually more-- in the first few years of Haley, with less production.

Regardless of the results under Haley, that was in the future. I still say protecting Ben was a big part of it since Ben had been injured at the end of the year more than once. I think Arians's philosophy was to get skill talent around Ben but scrimp on OLinemen, get lesser-pedegreed, lesser-priced guys and coach them up. I think I remember reading that that is what the Colts were doing, and Bruce had been with the Colts.

But I appreciated that Arians would attack downfield. I liked his offense, though I remember people hated him here because they didn't score well enough in the red zone. I also hate a horizontal passing attack. Let's pass the ball 25 yards in the air to pick up two. If the ball's going to travel 25 yards, I want to pick up 25 yards. Related to this is the infuriating passing the ball to a guy short of the sticks and expecting him to juke a defender to pick up the first down. Just throw the damn ball past the sticks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:16 pm 

Arians got fired because his offense sucked. Barely averaged over 20 points a game in 2011. Had Ben Roethlisberger in his prime and couldn't crack a top 20 scoring offense. Pathetic.

Of course, we can throw Lebeau under the bus for that Tebow game but Arians' offense had 6 fucking points at half time in that game. Par for the course for that guy. All firing Arians led to was the most prolific offense in modern Steelers history and Ben's most prolific passing seasons of his career. Good riddance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:11 pm 

TB wrote:
Arians got fired because his offense sucked. Barely averaged over 20 points a game in 2011. Had Ben Roethlisberger in his prime and couldn't crack a top 20 scoring offense. Pathetic.

Of course, we can throw Lebeau under the bus for that Tebow game but Arians' offense had 6 fucking points at half time in that game. Par for the course for that guy. All firing Arians led to was the most prolific offense in modern Steelers history and Ben's most prolific passing seasons of his career. Good riddance.

Colbert gave Arians shit to work with, while investing heavily in a defense that had to be protected with TOP but yet couldn't stop Tim Tebow. It was a miracle the Steelers scored as much as they did.