It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm
Posts: 1384
http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/02/08/tony-dungy-deion-sanders-stealing-signals

Quote:
Dungy referenced a Monday night game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2005 where the team thought that former Colts assistant Bruce Arians told his new team the Colts' signals. In the first quarter of that game, a signal was given to receiver Marvin Harrison that Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor thought was a run, but the play was actually a pass that went for 80 yards and a touchdown.


So we tried to pull a Ernie Adams...but got dusted for our troubles ? :lol:

_________________
Zeke5123 wrote:
if I flip a coin 100 times and it always comes up heads, I might change my estimation on whether it is a fair coin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16317
DrMalba wrote:
http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/02/08/tony-dungy-deion-sanders-stealing-signals

Quote:
Dungy referenced a Monday night game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2005 where the team thought that former Colts assistant Bruce Arians told his new team the Colts' signals. In the first quarter of that game, a signal was given to receiver Marvin Harrison that Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor thought was a run, but the play was actually a pass that went for 80 yards and a touchdown.


So we tried to pull a Ernie Adams...but got dusted for our troubles ? :lol:

Ah, so THAT'S why Bruce got fired when the defense lost them a playoff game! That explains everything.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7606
Bruce got fired because Ben was getting killed in his offense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am
Posts: 904
bradshaw2ben wrote:
DrMalba wrote:
http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/02/08/tony-dungy-deion-sanders-stealing-signals

Quote:
Dungy referenced a Monday night game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2005 where the team thought that former Colts assistant Bruce Arians told his new team the Colts' signals. In the first quarter of that game, a signal was given to receiver Marvin Harrison that Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor thought was a run, but the play was actually a pass that went for 80 yards and a touchdown.


So we tried to pull a Ernie Adams...but got dusted for our troubles ? :lol:

Ah, so THAT'S why Bruce got fired when the defense lost them a playoff game! That explains everything.


I'm confused. 2005 when Taylor got burned for a long TD was the regular season @ colts game, the same year steelers beat colts in playoffs and went on to win SB. Arians was WR coach...continued to be for 2 more years, then 4 as OC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16317
Poltargyst wrote:
Bruce got fired because Ben was getting killed in his offense.

Ben was getting killed because he had a shit OL and refused to throw it away. Ben got hit just as much-- actually more-- in the first few years of Haley, with less production.

Arians refused to build around the run and be subservient to the team's owner, and that got him fired.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16317
Miter Saw wrote:
[I'm confused. 2005 when Taylor got burned for a long TD was the regular season @ colts game, the same year steelers beat colts in playoffs and went on to win SB. Arians was WR coach...continued to be for 2 more years, then 4 as OC.

It was a joke-- at some point in the future, Lebeau shit the bed against Tebow and Arians got fired. My point was: maybe the defense shit the bed because Bruce gave the defense tips for how to beat Tebow or something.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6884
Quote:
Arians refused to build around the run and be subservient to the team's owner, and that got him fired.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7606
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
Bruce got fired because Ben was getting killed in his offense.

Ben was getting killed because he had a shit OL and refused to throw it away. Ben got hit just as much-- actually more-- in the first few years of Haley, with less production.

Arians refused to build around the run and be subservient to the team's owner, and that got him fired.

Regardless of the results under Haley, that was in the future. I still say protecting Ben was a big part of it since Ben had been injured at the end of the year more than once. I think Arians's philosophy was to get skill talent around Ben but scrimp on OLinemen, get lesser-pedegreed, lesser-priced guys and coach them up. I think I remember reading that that is what the Colts were doing, and Bruce had been with the Colts.

But I appreciated that Arians would attack downfield. I liked his offense, though I remember people hated him here because they didn't score well enough in the red zone. I also hate a horizontal passing attack. Let's pass the ball 25 yards in the air to pick up two. If the ball's going to travel 25 yards, I want to pick up 25 yards. Related to this is the infuriating passing the ball to a guy short of the sticks and expecting him to juke a defender to pick up the first down. Just throw the damn ball past the sticks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 3983
Arians got fired because his offense sucked. Barely averaged over 20 points a game in 2011. Had Ben Roethlisberger in his prime and couldn't crack a top 20 scoring offense. Pathetic.

Of course, we can throw Lebeau under the bus for that Tebow game but Arians' offense had 6 fucking points at half time in that game. Par for the course for that guy. All firing Arians led to was the most prolific offense in modern Steelers history and Ben's most prolific passing seasons of his career. Good riddance.

_________________
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Dad showed up after work and according to her the entire hospital hears my dad yell you are not naming our son Hoss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16317
TB wrote:
Arians got fired because his offense sucked. Barely averaged over 20 points a game in 2011. Had Ben Roethlisberger in his prime and couldn't crack a top 20 scoring offense. Pathetic.

Of course, we can throw Lebeau under the bus for that Tebow game but Arians' offense had 6 fucking points at half time in that game. Par for the course for that guy. All firing Arians led to was the most prolific offense in modern Steelers history and Ben's most prolific passing seasons of his career. Good riddance.

Colbert gave Arians shit to work with, while investing heavily in a defense that had to be protected with TOP but yet couldn't stop Tim Tebow. It was a miracle the Steelers scored as much as they did.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 3983
Had the YMC, prime Ben and Heath, Mendenhall. Wouldn't describe it as a " miracle" they were 21st in scoring and couldn't score as much as the Matt Moore Dolphins and Christian Ponder led 3-13 Vikings. Obviously, Mike Tomlin wanted an upgrade and the Rooneys agreed.

_________________
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Dad showed up after work and according to her the entire hospital hears my dad yell you are not naming our son Hoss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16317
TB wrote:
Had the YMC, prime Ben and Heath, Mendenhall. Wouldn't describe it as a " miracle" they were 21st in scoring and couldn't score as much as the Matt Moore Dolphins and Christian Ponder led 3-13 Vikings. Obviously, Mike Tomlin wanted an upgrade and the Rooneys agreed.

OFFENSIVE LINE. Bottom 5 in the league for most of Arians' tenure.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16317
If Arians came back tomorrow, we'd be instantly better. Haley blows.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am
Posts: 904
bradshaw2ben wrote:

It was a joke-- at some point in the future, Lebeau shit the bed against Tebow and Arians got fired. My point was: maybe the defense shit the bed because Bruce gave the defense tips for how to beat Tebow or something.


My bad.

Poltargyst wrote:
I still say protecting Ben was a big part of it since Ben had been injured at the end of the year more than once.


So then....maybe now they need a new OC to protect Bell, since he's been injured at then end of the year more than once.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6328
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
[I'm confused. 2005 when Taylor got burned for a long TD was the regular season @ colts game, the same year steelers beat colts in playoffs and went on to win SB. Arians was WR coach...continued to be for 2 more years, then 4 as OC.

It was a joke-- at some point in the future, Lebeau shit the bed against Tebow and Arians got fired. My point was: maybe the defense shit the bed because Bruce gave the defense tips for how to beat Tebow or something.
You do remember that Hampton and Kiesel were injured in Q3 or thereabouts. Lebeau decided to help with the run and sent Polumalu and Mundy in the box to defend the read option. That's when tebow threw over the top. It didn't have to be a great throw because there was nobody around the receiver. LeBeau, IIRC, did OK for three quarters with starters. But yeah, the offense stalled in the red zone, and the defense wasn't the same after the two starters on the D Line went down.

And we know you hate haley. :)

Edit : Clarke didn't play/ sickle cell @denver

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Last edited by COR-TEN on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:09 am
Posts: 343
Mike Munchak & Bruce Arians could easily be a SB winning combination. Haley & Munchak, I don't think so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1737
COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
[I'm confused. 2005 when Taylor got burned for a long TD was the regular season @ colts game, the same year steelers beat colts in playoffs and went on to win SB. Arians was WR coach...continued to be for 2 more years, then 4 as OC.

It was a joke-- at some point in the future, Lebeau shit the bed against Tebow and Arians got fired. My point was: maybe the defense shit the bed because Bruce gave the defense tips for how to beat Tebow or something.
You do remember that Hampton and Kiesel were injured in Q3 or thereabouts. Lebeau decided to help with the run and sent Polumalu and Clarke in the box to defend the read option. That's when tebow threw over the top. It didn't have to be a great throw because there was nobody around the receiver. LeBeau, IIRC, did OK for three quarters with starters. But yeah, the offense stalled in the red zone, and the defense wasn't the same after the two starters on the D Line went down.

And we know you hate haley. :)


Tebow completed a whopping 10/21 passes that game and everyone acts like he tore us apart.

I vaguely remember that we actually played a fair amount of press coverage that game, which fans had been absolutely SCREAMING for all season long, and what we absolutely should have done against a QB with known accuracy issues.

As it happened, Tebow actually made a couple of nice throws on a couple third downs to extend some drives, and of course, hit the 80-yard game winner when Ryan Freaking Mundy lost his mind and ran up to stop a run that didn't exist.

But I frequently hear this revisionist history of fans saying Tebow carved us up that game, and it's simply not true.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:41 pm
Posts: 979
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
Bruce got fired because Ben was getting killed in his offense.

Ben was getting killed because he had a shit OL...

While I can agree with this in sentiment, I can't agree that Bruce Arians had zero culpability with respect to that shitty OL...

The OL play was heavily impacted by his play calling, and he never seemed to have the slightest clue how to leverage OL strengths while bolstering OL weaknesses.
All you have to do is look at the one year he almost got Andrew Luck killed, and it should be pretty obvious...
To this day, I think he STILL doesn't have the slightest fucking clue how to get the most out of his OL personnel.

What's more, you can't convince me that he had absolutely nothing to do with the plethora of underachievers that were selected during his tenure.
It was like he had no input because he had no fucking clue what to look for, scout for, and ask for at each position along the line.

but sure, whatever - Colbert is your mule, so keep whipping away...

In any regard, it's ancient history, and the world has moved on...

_________________
http://steelerfury.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=365&p=14295#p14295


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 3983
bradshaw2ben wrote:
TB wrote:
Had the YMC, prime Ben and Heath, Mendenhall. Wouldn't describe it as a " miracle" they were 21st in scoring and couldn't score as much as the Matt Moore Dolphins and Christian Ponder led 3-13 Vikings. Obviously, Mike Tomlin wanted an upgrade and the Rooneys agreed.

OFFENSIVE LINE. Bottom 5 in the league for most of Arians' tenure.


Cool, I'm talking about 2011 and the reason he was fired.

Mike Tomlin and the Rooneys didn't want him back. I'll go with Coach T on this one. My point above still stands. Prime Ben, Heath, YMC crew, Mendenhall should not be 21st in scoring. At all.

And brittle Ben wouldn't last two months under Arians at this point. He's one of the least touched QBs in football and he still has a laundry list of injuries each year. Fact is, in 2011 Arians' offense underperformed to a large degree. And that is why Coach Tomlin let him hit the road.

_________________
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Dad showed up after work and according to her the entire hospital hears my dad yell you are not naming our son Hoss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6884
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
It was a joke-- at some point in the future, Lebeau shit the bed against Tebow and Arians got fired. My point was: maybe the defense shit the bed because Bruce gave the defense tips for how to beat Tebow or something.
You do remember that Hampton and Kiesel were injured in Q3 or thereabouts. Lebeau decided to help with the run and sent Polumalu and Clarke in the box to defend the read option. That's when tebow threw over the top. It didn't have to be a great throw because there was nobody around the receiver. LeBeau, IIRC, did OK for three quarters with starters. But yeah, the offense stalled in the red zone, and the defense wasn't the same after the two starters on the D Line went down.

And we know you hate haley. :)


Tebow completed a whopping 10/21 passes that game and everyone acts like he tore us apart.

I vaguely remember that we actually played a fair amount of press coverage that game, which fans had been absolutely SCREAMING for all season long, and what we absolutely should have done against a QB with known accuracy issues.

As it happened, Tebow actually made a couple of nice throws on a couple third downs to extend some drives, and of course, hit the 80-yard game winner when Ryan Freaking Mundy lost his mind and ran up to stop a run that didn't exist.

But I frequently hear this revisionist history of fans saying Tebow carved us up that game, and it's simply not true.

316 yards 2 TDs
That's an ass raping...

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 1890
I always thought of Arians as a cool dude who would be a blast to drink beer with, but then I also remember how infuriating his O was to watch. Yes his OL was beyond bad, but TB is right, that O should've been much more productive.

With that said, Haley has to either get his shit together, or get sent packing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:11 pm
Posts: 2130
It is true
10 completions for 316 yards
They moved up to stop tebow running (they stated as much after he game) and he threw over the top over and over and over. One coach saw something happening and changed the other did not


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7606
Gonzo wrote:
It is true
10 completions for 316 yards
They moved up to stop tebow running (they stated as much after he game) and he threw over the top over and over and over. One coach saw something happening and changed the other did not

And that frustrated me because I'd like to make Tebow prove he can run on us before selling out to stop him from doing it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4259
bradshaw2ben wrote:
If Arians came back tomorrow, we'd be instantly better. Haley blows.


Well cripes, the Steelers could bring you in as OC and be better than with Haley.

Your sacred cows are Tomlin, Ben and Arians in that order.

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dirty Cheatin' .... Colts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:23 pm
Posts: 1050
the Fat guy who coaches the Pats D and looks like he is late for a frat party could probably design their offense gameplan on Steelers week (henceforth known as one of their many bye weeks) and result would likely be similar.......


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group