It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blurbs: Gay and Green
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:39 am 

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette expects the Steelers to draft a cornerback in the first three rounds.
Steelers beat writers seem convinced 32-year-old William Gay won't return, even though his salary is cheap ($2 million) and Gay's 2016 play was passable after he took over at slot corner early in the season. LCB Ross Cockrell is a restricted free agent, and Pittsburgh is short on depth behind him and RCB Artie Burns.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Feb 14 - 9:41 PM

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette expects the Steelers to retain Ladarius Green for 2017.
Bouchette believes "the decision has been made" and Green will stay on the roster, despite president Art Rooney II expressing uncertainty about Green's future after the season. "His health will determine what happens from there," Bouchette wrote. Green was a difference maker when healthy in 2016, averaging nearly 17 yards per catch but appearing in only six games. Concussion and ankle concerns will continue to cloud 26-year-old Green's fantasy future.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/

Post subject: Re: Blurbs: Gay and Green
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:05 am 

Surely I'm in the minority, but I'm glad Gree is coming back to camp.

His health makes him a real uncertainty, but when on the field, it's been dynamite.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:14 am 

This is the best TE draft in a while and the Steelers either do not need on or need one on day 2 depending on how confident you are with Green's health.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 pm 

Retaining Green, imo, is a colossal mistake. ROI isn't nearly good enough and there is too much risk. One decent hit in the first game of the year will likely result in him missing another 6-8 games.

I hope they don't ignore TE in the draft because of green.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:19 pm 

Keeping Green given his fragility is just stupid. Its pretty obvious to anyone and everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:31 pm 

Even thinking about keeping shows the steelers stubbornness.

I mean no one in their right mind can say they got their 5$ M worth out of the dude.

Further this is a player with concussion problems who sustained yet another one and a season ending one. It boggles the mind to think Tomlin and Colbert wanna hang onto this guy. Only reason I can think of is to try to prove they were right. Just like the steelers D wants to prove they can stop tom Brady.

Anyway steelers are running some huge risks here if they do what they did last season. Thinking the offense is set is a big mistake. When they bow out of the playoffs next year we'll know. Steelers have big holes at wr at te that are not going to magically disappear.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:32 pm 

How anybody could say green had an impact is completely baffling to me. I mean granted the bar was very low. Playing in a game. So making a catch by a tight end is having an impact now?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:58 pm 

What are the cap implications of cutting Green though? Money saved vs. dead money?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:25 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Retaining Green, imo, is a colossal mistake. ROI isn't nearly good enough and there is too much risk. One decent hit in the first game of the year will likely result in him missing another 6-8 games.

I hope they don't ignore TE in the draft because of green.

Like they always do, they will have a veteran roster solution before the draft... then draft positions of need. We may think their "veteran roster solution" is a joke (Jarvis Jones), but they wont have any obvious roster holes before the draft.

Besides, when you are a top 5 team in the league but not a champion, you are looking at upgrading good players in order to get better. There are few true holes on the roster. I do agree that Gay is done as a slot guy for a great team, although he could play well enough to help somebody for another year or two.

The Green thing is best viewed through a salary and salary cap lens. I think the way his contract is structured, they don't owe him any new money now and there would be a cap hit of $3.5625M whether they cut him now or in late August. There doesn't seem to be any risk in continuing with him and re-evaluating his health. The biggest danger would be: he comes to camp with great health, then gets a season or career-ending injury in preseason-- I believe they'd be on the hook for a $6M+ cap hit if he goes on IR.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:28 pm 

it's still yggy wrote:
How anybody could say green had an impact is completely baffling to me. I mean granted the bar was very low. Playing in a game. So making a catch by a tight end is having an impact now?

I think it's reasonable to say we aren't likely to have made the playoffs without his contributions.