It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:20 pm 

franco32 wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Would you guys consider Bell and Cockrell for Gurley and Johnson, straight up?

Absolutely. That's a no brainer. The Rams would have to be borderline retarded though to make that deal. Also, I don't know what you do with Johnson's contract. That's a big problem.

Actually the Rams have somewhat soured on both players. I live in LA and have to read about the Rams and their new coaching staff in our news every day. Consider this: Johnson is much better than Cockrell, but the Rams know they are going to lose Johnson, who is not a perfect fit for Wade Phillips' new defense. They get a serviceable replacement in Cockrell. Bell is much better than Gurley, and a much better fit for the new head coaches offense. But we get a serviceable replacement for Bell. I am not sure the Steelers would want this deal. If you could get the Rams to pay the delta of Johnson's cap hit vs Bell's cap hit, I would do the deal. Both players are going to leave their teams soon anyway, and Ben is not getting younger.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:42 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I don't know there are all kind of ways to make a trade Steelafan77. Maybe we could give them Senquez Golson and Sammie Coates in trade for Johnson?

Here me out. They are under contract for the next two seasons, this year and next, and the Steelers would have to pay a collective $3.2 million to those players. Yeah, you still have to worry about signing Johnson to a new contract but it doesn't have to be about giving up first round picks to trade for him. Maybe a combination of players and a 3rd round pick could get it done.

You know, when we had the Bell discussion thread on him turning down the Steelers proposal I wondered if the Steelers would go in a different direction.

I still contend that it is not a foregone conclusion that Bell will be franchised next season. I said in that thread that the Steelers would probably be better off pursuing a free agent CB, S or TE and let Bell go and draft his replacement in round 1 in the 2018 draft. Might there be a little smoke to that fire?

Scunge - can they franchise Bell and trade him for picks?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:30 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Would you guys consider Bell and Cockrell for Gurley and Johnson, straight up?

In a fucking heartbeat!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 pm 

Johnson is guaranteed $16,742,400 then is a UFA. The Browns, SF or Jax might make that deal for a conditional 7th rounder. No other team could do it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:

Scunge - can they franchise Bell and trade him for picks?

Well, I do know that there are two designations for Franchise Tag, Non Exclusive, meaning the player can negotiate with other teams and if that team offered Bell a contract that we do not match then we would get two first round picks.

Then there is the Exclusive Franchise Tag that gives all of the negotiating power to the Steelers and Bell and his agent have no options.

Me? I would have given Bell the Transition tag this year. Hear me out.

The transition tag pays the average of the top 10 players at the position, not the top 5. Atlanta signed Freeman for $8.25 million, the Bills gave McCoy an average of $8 million. That is the upper amount that teams are willing to pay for a RB. The Steelers could have slapped the transition tag on him and I don't see how any team would have paid more than the $12 million average the Steeler originally offered.

The Steelers had three options and chose the worst one in my opinion.

They chose to give him the Exclusive Tag meaning that no team could have offered him a deal and we get no chance to get two first round draft picks as compensation.

They could have given him the Non Exclusive tag where that option would have been available. This could have helped immensely because some other teams may have made a deal that could have helped set the market which I believe would have been much lower than what the Steelers offered.

Also, the transition tag would have given the Steelers the ability to match any offer and the one year option would have been maybe not even $10 million, compared to the $12.1 million we are on the hook for when Bell signs the tender.

Just don't understand the need to have put the Exclusive tag on him. If Bell was trouble free from injuries and suspension, if he had also scored 20 TDs a season then maybe some team might have offered more than $12 million a season, but Bell is not that player. There are risks involved and I feel like the Steelers really boxed themselves in, they sort of painted themselves into a corner with no options.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:32 am 

So going by the transition tag Bell would have been looking at roughly $6,880,475.2 for the season. Half of what is the current offer and he still refuses to sign. I understand that you're saying transition tag would have left room for another franchise to make an offer which may have rewarded the Steelers two 1st RND picks and paid Bell his aggrandized amount he desires. What that does say to me as a Steelers fan is they are very serious about re-signing Bell and haven't given up in the least. There must be something in the negotiations that convinced the Steelers they can still get a deal done.

The top 10 RB's. Bell is rated #1 salary wise. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/ave ... ning-back/
2) Devonta Freeman, $8,250,000. 3) Jonathan Stewart, $8,000,000 4) LeSean McCoy, $8,000,000. 5) Doug Martin, $7,150,000. 6) Leonard Fournette, $6,787,711. 7) Lamar Miller, $6,500,000. 8) Chris Ivory, $6,400,000. 9) DeMarco Murray, $6,312,500. 10) Ezekiel Elliott, $6,239,085. 11) Giovani Bernard, $5,166,667.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:09 am 

Lynch wrote:
I'd trade his ass to a shitty team now and hook up this Johnson dude.

Yep x1000. I don't think Bell would take us to the promise land more than a shut down corner. Defense still wins championships and having a guy that can lock up on the opposing teams best WR allows your defense to play differently. They can be much more aggressive up front knowing that at least 1 WR is basically out of the picture. With Burns on the other side practicing against AB, he will get better fast and we will have two nearly shut-down CB's. Bell will be gimpy going into our game and not contribute much anyway!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:32 am 

Yeah, fuck our best player! Trade his worthless ass! How dare he try to make as much money as possible in probably the one big payday of his and his family's entire lives! Rot in hell you "thug" (the new white code for the n word). Rap sucks, Allman Brothers for life! Root tootin' boot scootin' suck my wenis Le'Veon!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:15 pm 

TB wrote:
Yeah, fuck our best player! Trade his worthless ass! How dare he try to make as much money as possible in probably the one big payday of his and his family's entire lives! Rot in hell you "thug" (the new white code for the n word). Rap sucks, Allman Brothers for life! Root tootin' boot scootin' suck my wenis Le'Veon!

TB, how much is the team supposed to invest in the RB position?

I'm a total Bell homer, but if the best player (and I don't know that I put Bell over AB) is going to take up more cap space than the position warrants, you have to cut bait. Bell is elite, that's obvious. I do not know whether his talent is so transcendent that he is worth keeping at his asking price. We have one hell of an offensive line. I wonder really how much his patient style will work with a less talented line whereas a less talented but still really good back might do the job behind our great line.

I would be pained at trading him, but I am resigned he is determined to break the bank. If so, it would be good to get something via a trade if even possible.

The problem as I see it is that our best player is trying to fuck the team by doing what is best for himself in looking for so much money. Now, this is his right and players are treated as commodities so Bell owes no one nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:34 pm 

TB wrote:

You've embarrassed yourself implying something that hasn't even been stated because the true colors of the bigot surfaces eventually. Good job! BTW, Race baiting is illegal here.

Last edited by Steelafan77 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next