steelerfury.com
http://www.steelerfury.com/forum/

Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?
http://www.steelerfury.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8949
Page 1 of 2

Author:  SteelThrillsseeker [ Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

NFL Insider Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports is now reporting that the Steelers have shown interest in Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson who is believed to be on the trading block.

Author:  SteelKnife [ Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

Unless they're not asking much, I can't see it with his current franchise contract.

Author:  smithessmokin [ Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

Do it and do it now.

Oh, I mean we should definitely explore the option :lol:

They'd have to already have a deal in place before that would happen.

Author:  BarryFoster [ Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
NFL Insider Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports is now reporting that the Steelers have shown interest in Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson who is believed to be on the trading block.


Can he cover a former lacrosse player?

Author:  tazfootball2 [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
NFL Insider Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports is now reporting that the Steelers have shown interest in Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson who is believed to be on the trading block.


Sounds like another 4th or 5th round pick wasted...

Author:  Steelafan77 [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

Quote:
"The Rams have been open to other trade options as well, though this deal of Gaines makes it even less likely they move top corner Trumaine Johnson, who is making $17 million this season after being franchised a second straight year," La Canfora wrote Friday. "Sources said the Steelers have been among the teams sniffing around on a possible Johnson trade." https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/stee ... e-johnson/
No thanks. He is too expensive. They still haven't signed Tuitt or Bell and there are a slew of players in line for new contracts next year.

Author:  Scunge [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

I don't know there are all kind of ways to make a trade Steelafan77. Maybe we could give them Senquez Golson and Sammie Coates in trade for Johnson?

Here me out. They are under contract for the next two seasons, this year and next, and the Steelers would have to pay a collective $3.2 million to those players. Yeah, you still have to worry about signing Johnson to a new contract but it doesn't have to be about giving up first round picks to trade for him. Maybe a combination of players and a 3rd round pick could get it done.

You know, when we had the Bell discussion thread on him turning down the Steelers proposal I wondered if the Steelers would go in a different direction.

I still contend that it is not a foregone conclusion that Bell will be franchised next season. I said in that thread that the Steelers would probably be better off pursuing a free agent CB, S or TE and let Bell go and draft his replacement in round 1 in the 2018 draft. Might there be a little smoke to that fire?

Author:  franco32 [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

Johnson is good but not worth 17 million. That said...I'm in the camp that says Bell is not worth his money. I'd rather see Bell walk and get defensive help with that money. If we want to be the Atlantas and NEs of the league, we have to be better on D. Watt is a nice start along with Burns development. But we still could use elevated safety play and another really good corner. Also you can never have too many pass rushers.

Author:  steelclan [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

tazfootball2 wrote:
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
NFL Insider Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports is now reporting that the Steelers have shown interest in Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson who is believed to be on the trading block.


Sounds like another 4th or 5th round pick wasted...


Are you kidding me? If they got Johnson for a 4th rounder it would be a huge coup. He is one of the better young boundary CBs in the NFL. The biggest block to this happening is his cap #. So for me this is purely click bait.

Author:  Lynch [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

Wish they could trade Bell for this guy.

Author:  Steelcody36 [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
"The Rams have been open to other trade options as well, though this deal of Gaines makes it even less likely they move top corner Trumaine Johnson, who is making $17 million this season after being franchised a second straight year," La Canfora wrote Friday. "Sources said the Steelers have been among the teams sniffing around on a possible Johnson trade." https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/stee ... e-johnson/
No thanks. He is too expensive. They still haven't signed Tuitt or Bell and there are a slew of players in line for new contracts next year.


Who cares about Bell?

He's obviously done in Pittsburgh after this season. He turned down more money than he was worth, why should the Steelers offer more? Guy has missed nearly 20 games and wants a bank breaking deal.

Author:  Steelafan77 [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

I believe the Steelers will try once more to get a deal done with Bell. While I agree Bell is not worth the $12 to $15 Mil per he desires I think the Steelers will still attempt to accommodate him fairly. It'll be up to Bell. My hope is Tuitt gets his deal done before the regular season begins.

Scunge, I don't believe any GM in their right mind would trade anything for Golson other than a cheeseburger and coke. Dude is a huge disappointment. Coates on the other hand could bring interest, But even there Coates had what can be considered a disappointment of a season last year. So my question is where is the value with these two particular players and how do they add up to a fair deal regarding a Johnson trade? Seems like the lambs would be getting the shit end of the stick.

I think they would have to pay Johnson big money. Norman is the only other vet corner making more at $20mil. Johnson would want the same if not more. Why I stated No Thanks too expensive. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap ... k/veteran/

Author:  tazfootball2 [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

The Steelers need to stick to their guns with Bell. Either Bell signs the tender, let him holdout and waste a year or if possible, trade his ass now. Bell is a great player, no doubt. I think the Steelers have given him a fair offer based on the time that he's missed (injury/suspension). Maybe he needs to talk to Matt Forte, Barry Sanders or Marshawn Lynch (Buffalo) about playing on a shitty team.

Author:  Lynch [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

I'd trade his ass to a shitty team now and hook up this Johnson dude.

Author:  franco32 [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

I was a big pro-Bell guy coming into the draft. I loved the pick. But, here we are 2 knee surgeries and disciplinary problems later...as well as once again breaking down at a key playoff time.

He's simply not worth the money. Give me a great corner or a pass rusher any day over Bell. Our odds of winning the SB go way up.

Author:  SteelerChef [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

franco32 wrote:
I was a big pro-Bell guy coming into the draft. I loved the pick. But, here we are 2 knee surgeries and disciplinary problems later...as well as once again breaking down at a key playoff time.

He's simply not worth the money. Give me a great corner or a pass rusher any day over Bell. Our odds of winning the SB go way up.


The injuries...the suspensions....and not being available in the post season are huge issues....gonna be sad to see him go but i franchise him next year as well and then let him walk

Author:  DP39 [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

Would you guys consider Bell and Cockrell for Gurley and Johnson, straight up?

Author:  franco32 [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

DP39 wrote:
Would you guys consider Bell and Cockrell for Gurley and Johnson, straight up?


Absolutely. That's a no brainer. The Rams would have to be borderline retarded though to make that deal. Also, I don't know what you do with Johnson's contract. That's a big problem.

Author:  DP39 [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

franco32 wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Would you guys consider Bell and Cockrell for Gurley and Johnson, straight up?


Absolutely. That's a no brainer. The Rams would have to be borderline retarded though to make that deal. Also, I don't know what you do with Johnson's contract. That's a big problem.

That's why I suggested it. Johnson's contract is only $4.5 million more than Bell's. That's one of the few ways I could think of landing Johnson and his contract.

Author:  SteelerChef [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

My answer to that problem is this. Every game should 40 or more points on offense.

Author:  jewelsongs [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

franco32 wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Would you guys consider Bell and Cockrell for Gurley and Johnson, straight up?


Absolutely. That's a no brainer. The Rams would have to be borderline retarded though to make that deal. Also, I don't know what you do with Johnson's contract. That's a big problem.


Actually the Rams have somewhat soured on both players. I live in LA and have to read about the Rams and their new coaching staff in our news every day. Consider this: Johnson is much better than Cockrell, but the Rams know they are going to lose Johnson, who is not a perfect fit for Wade Phillips' new defense. They get a serviceable replacement in Cockrell. Bell is much better than Gurley, and a much better fit for the new head coaches offense. But we get a serviceable replacement for Bell. I am not sure the Steelers would want this deal. If you could get the Rams to pay the delta of Johnson's cap hit vs Bell's cap hit, I would do the deal. Both players are going to leave their teams soon anyway, and Ben is not getting younger.

Author:  Suwanee88 [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

Scunge wrote:
I don't know there are all kind of ways to make a trade Steelafan77. Maybe we could give them Senquez Golson and Sammie Coates in trade for Johnson?

Here me out. They are under contract for the next two seasons, this year and next, and the Steelers would have to pay a collective $3.2 million to those players. Yeah, you still have to worry about signing Johnson to a new contract but it doesn't have to be about giving up first round picks to trade for him. Maybe a combination of players and a 3rd round pick could get it done.

You know, when we had the Bell discussion thread on him turning down the Steelers proposal I wondered if the Steelers would go in a different direction.

I still contend that it is not a foregone conclusion that Bell will be franchised next season. I said in that thread that the Steelers would probably be better off pursuing a free agent CB, S or TE and let Bell go and draft his replacement in round 1 in the 2018 draft. Might there be a little smoke to that fire?


Scunge - can they franchise Bell and trade him for picks?

Author:  Jobus Rum [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

DP39 wrote:
Would you guys consider Bell and Cockrell for Gurley and Johnson, straight up?

In a fucking heartbeat!

Author:  jebrick [ Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

Johnson is guaranteed $16,742,400 then is a UFA. The Browns, SF or Jax might make that deal for a conditional 7th rounder. No other team could do it.

Author:  Scunge [ Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steelers interested in Trumaine Johnson or click bait?

Suwanee88 wrote:

Scunge - can they franchise Bell and trade him for picks?


Well, I do know that there are two designations for Franchise Tag, Non Exclusive, meaning the player can negotiate with other teams and if that team offered Bell a contract that we do not match then we would get two first round picks.

Then there is the Exclusive Franchise Tag that gives all of the negotiating power to the Steelers and Bell and his agent have no options.

Me? I would have given Bell the Transition tag this year. Hear me out.

The transition tag pays the average of the top 10 players at the position, not the top 5. Atlanta signed Freeman for $8.25 million, the Bills gave McCoy an average of $8 million. That is the upper amount that teams are willing to pay for a RB. The Steelers could have slapped the transition tag on him and I don't see how any team would have paid more than the $12 million average the Steeler originally offered.

The Steelers had three options and chose the worst one in my opinion.

They chose to give him the Exclusive Tag meaning that no team could have offered him a deal and we get no chance to get two first round draft picks as compensation.

They could have given him the Non Exclusive tag where that option would have been available. This could have helped immensely because some other teams may have made a deal that could have helped set the market which I believe would have been much lower than what the Steelers offered.

Also, the transition tag would have given the Steelers the ability to match any offer and the one year option would have been maybe not even $10 million, compared to the $12.1 million we are on the hook for when Bell signs the tender.

Just don't understand the need to have put the Exclusive tag on him. If Bell was trouble free from injuries and suspension, if he had also scored 20 TDs a season then maybe some team might have offered more than $12 million a season, but Bell is not that player. There are risks involved and I feel like the Steelers really boxed themselves in, they sort of painted themselves into a corner with no options.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/