It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dobbs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 am 

What I saw from Dobbs last night was flashes of brilliance, and a glaring weakness. I believe that the weakness will be corrected. First game action in the NFL - looking forward to seeing more of him in the preseason.

Last edited by 44LetzRide on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:00 pm 

Laundry Jones first preseason was in 2013. For the entire preseason he was 30 of 66, 45.5% completion rate, and threw 2 TDs with 3 INTs for a passer rating of 53.1. Ouch!

Dobbs in his first preseason game was 8 of 15 for 100 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs. He completed 53% of his passes and had a passer rating of 56.9. That Xavier Grimble TD pass, that was nullified by penalty, where he was running to his left and throwing across his body is something that Laundry Jones can't do.

And don't tell me that the Giants didn't have anybody out there early on, that was Pro Bowler Landon Collins at safety, that was Damon Harrison at NT, that was Olivier Vernon at DE. That O-line we had out there was really bad minus Decastro and Gilbert. Jerald Hawkins, WTF? How many were saying here not to give Big Al a contract because we had Hawkins in the pipeline? Are you serious? So many were talking this offseason that if he had come out this season instead of last season he would have been a 2nd round pick. Really? He looked like an UDFA last night.

Anyway, people see what they want to see, I think Dobbs will easily be better than Laundry Jones this year, all he needs is reps. Every day that Jones spend out with a tummy ache gives Dobbs more reps and practice to take his job.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 pm 

The biggest concern for me was the first drive. He had DHB on a quick in on 3rd and seven. DHB was NFL open and Dobbs (a) had a passing lane and (b) was looking at DHB. But he didn't make the quick snap decision to make the pass. Making those quick, snap decisions is what NFL QBing is all about. Hopefully, Dobbs grows into this -- I see the tools. Worth a gamble IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:45 pm 

Lynch wrote:
Dobbs will never be an NFL QB worth having. His ceiling is so far below Landry Jones floor that you can't even compare the two as rookies.

To be honest, I think he looks as good as Landry already, started out shaky, but he showed good arm strength and accuracy on the 44 yarder and TD to Hamilton and the TD to Grimble called back. Did you see Joe Flacco's 1st preseason game as a rookie? Way worse than Dobbs 1st quarter last night.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:55 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Laundry Jones first preseason was in 2013. For the entire preseason he was 30 of 66, 45.5% completion rate, and threw 2 TDs with 3 INTs for a passer rating of 53.1. Ouch!

Dobbs in his first preseason game was 8 of 15 for 100 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs. He completed 53% of his passes and had a passer rating of 56.9. That Xavier Grimble TD pass, that was nullified by penalty, where he was running to his left and throwing across his body is something that Laundry Jones can't do.

And don't tell me that the Giants didn't have anybody out there early on, that was Pro Bowler Landon Collins at safety, that was Damon Harrison at NT, that was Olivier Vernon at DE. That O-line we had out there was really bad minus Decastro and Gilbert. Jerald Hawkins, WTF? How many were saying here not to give Big Al a contract because we had Hawkins in the pipeline? Are you serious? So many were talking this offseason that if he had come out this season instead of last season he would have been a 2nd round pick. Really? He looked like an UDFA last night.

Anyway, people see what they want to see, I think Dobbs will easily be better than Laundry Jones this year, all he needs is reps. Every day that Jones spend out with a tummy ache gives Dobbs more reps and practice to take his job.

Steelers are fortunate that they signed Big Al to a deal before the start of the season. Otherwise, when Big Al's agent saw Hawkins play last night, he would be demanding 15 mill per year and the Steelers would have to give him more than he got. The move to sign him before camp literally saved the Steelers millions!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:08 pm 

Didn't Landry Jones fumble or almost fumble his first ever preseason snap?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:11 pm 

I said it last night in the game thread. Dobbs is going to make mistakes. Hell, Ben still makes mistakes and we live with them. Dobbs is in the infancy of his career he deserves a chance to learn, develop and play.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:34 pm 

I get why everyone is so canted to both extremes on his evaluation...

Look, Dobbs was never drafted to be the starter of this team. If we were going after someone like that, I think we would've had to trade up to #2 and get Trubisky or Watson. Last year, Dak Prescott was recently the one I had my eye on to have any potential being drafted in the later rounds; And we passed on him. Even then, he got drafted to a great offensive team with many weapons surrounding him while drafting Zeke in the same draft. Dobbs was drafted as a 'chance' and to most likely compete with Landry for the #2 spot. If Dobbs comes around in the next 2 years, then good for him and great for us. Like I've always said for the last decade now, if Big Ben goes down with a substantial injury, the Steelers are done anyway.

Let's not forget, it's the guys' first ever NFL action. Yes, he's probably played football his whole life, but now he is playing with the best prospects in the world. With that being said, a lot of those top prospects weren't even playing on his side; AB, Bell, Bryant, Pouncey. Would this make a different? Time will tell...

However, if his NFL career is going to be based off this one and only game, he flat out sucked. Didn't look like he's ever read a defense in his career to this point. He looked scared that whole first quarter. Showed no progressions what so ever. As some already mentioned, his short range throw accuracy was absolutely horrid. He did throw 2 decent rockets, both to Cobi. That TD throw was money and the other was a long shot vertically where I think Cobi made a spectacular catch.

That's the only positive I see out of these preseason games. It gives the younger guys meaningful reps in meaningless games. Throw an INT, forget about it, go out there and try it again. I'm ready for Week 2 to get here!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:34 pm 

One thing I liked about Dobbs last night (disclaimer... I didn't get to see all his snaps due to the NFL Network switching back and forth with another game... fuck you NFL)

But what I did see, was a guy who, when using his legs kept his eyes downfield looking to get the football to a receiver.

On the play he took off and ran for a 1st down, he first went thru his progressions.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:58 pm 

I hope I'm wrong. But, I don't think so. It's not just the shitty interceptions. It's things like the terribly high throw on a 5 yard out to the TE, or bouncing the ball 2 feet in front of his receiver on an out because his mechanics continually break down. How about the short crosser in the second half that Eli Rogers had to make a crazy catch just to haul it in (with two defenders behind him ready to pick it off)?

That's disappointing even for a rookie. Most of us want to improve on Landry and this seems like an odd way to do it. Again, I'm pulling for the kid. I'm not one of these posters that prays someone fails just to support my argument.