It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Steelers Roster Nearly Set
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 5772
Steelafan77 wrote:
Hope you are incorrect Kodiak. Toussaint is piece of shit barely mediocre and now injured. No thanks. Hunter may have a shot. The camp phenom is about to get released IMO. Hasn't done anything where it matters in game. Practicing good is one thing. Translating that practice to the real game is another. Hunter better show something in game #4.

I'd be willing to bet that the Steelers, most teams likely, put more stock in what they see in practice than exhibition games.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers Roster Nearly Set
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 8900
Jobus Rum wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that the Steelers, most teams likely, put more stock in what they see in practice than exhibition games.



But should you for bubble players?!?

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers Roster Nearly Set
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 11224
If Hunter is a lock who don't you keep?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers Roster Nearly Set
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 5772
Kodiak wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that the Steelers, most teams likely, put more stock in what they see in practice than exhibition games.



But should you for bubble players?!?

Good question...and I don't know the answer. But consider that usually your bubble players are going against the opponents bubble players, are you getting a fair gauge on what they're capable of?
I'm just saying that it's possible that you can evaluate more from seeing a guy perform at practice every day than for 15 minutes in a practice game.
Put it this way...if we knew nothing of Artie Burns other than what we witnessed against the Colts Saturday night, would he be on the bubble?

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers Roster Nearly Set
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 2982
Steelafan77 wrote:
If Hunter is a lock who don't you keep?


Hunter got two whole snaps last weekend. He's getting cut.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers Roster Nearly Set
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1262
I have honestly come to hate Danny Smith. Every year we get into these debates about how important special teams are, how Smith needs this player (Bey) or that player (Steven Johnson), or even this player (Sammie Coates). Yet, year after year the special teams are underwhelming and always seem to fail us when we need them the most. We witness bizarre stunts like Boz trying to do a fancy onside kick, or Landry Jones trying to do a pass off a fake field goal which gets intercepted. Never mind that he never really holds for the the snap, talk about telegraphing that play a mile a way. If Smith did not have Antonio Brown what would our returns be like? The kickoff returns have been bad for years and Brown has become less and less effective on punts with time. What is Smith doing really? How does he make things better? I just don't see it.

I have the same feeling for Danny Smith that I used to have for Sean Kugler. Kugler was the offensive line coach who left for college football. I was never impressed with him or his coaching or the results we had on the offensive line. The guy we replaced him with was Jack Bicknell Jr and he was even worse. Danny Smith for me is Kugler, is Bicknell Jr, he just does not impress me. I want the Steelers to send him packing and hire a real special teams coach, a Mike Munchak level/great special teams coach if you will.

Danny Smith could have Devin Hester in his prime as a punt/kick returner and not know what to do with him.

Why can't Brian Allen be the one who is active on game days to be the gunner and special teamer? If Bryant, Brown, Rogers and JuJu are all active Bey is not going to see the field on offense. Wouldn't it be better to have Allen get a hat on game day and play special teams and develop confidence and work on his tackling and getting familiar with the speed of the game? What can Bey do that Allen could not as a gunner? Bey missed time last season and in this past preseason game he came up gimpy on a catch. Will he even be able to play without missing time?

Smith wants his vets so that he does not have to coach as much it seems to me. Too damn bad, that is your job. I see other teams start and play rookies on special teams and they do pretty well, we have to do the same. Enough with these vets, with these charity cases that really aren't all that impressive on special teams to begin with.

_________________
The Steelers have a greater chance of finding a Unicorn, or a Sasquatch, or the Loch Ness Monster than they do in finding another great 3-4 OLB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers Roster Nearly Set
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 5772
Scunge wrote:
I have honestly come to hate Danny Smith. Every year we get into these debates about how important special teams are, how Smith needs this player (Bey) or that player (Steven Johnson), or even this player (Sammie Coates). Yet, year after year the special teams are underwhelming and always seem to fail us when we need them the most. We witness bizarre stunts like Boz trying to do a fancy onside kick, or Landry Jones trying to do a pass off a fake field goal which gets intercepted. Never mind that he never really holds for the the snap, talk about telegraphing that play a mile a way. If Smith did not have Antonio Brown what would our returns be like? The kickoff returns have been bad for years and Brown has become less and less effective on punts with time. What is Smith doing really? How does he make things better? I just don't see it.

I have the same feeling for Danny Smith that I used to have for Sean Kugler. Kugler was the offensive line coach who left for college football. I was never impressed with him or his coaching or the results we had on the offensive line. The guy we replaced him with was Jack Bicknell Jr and he was even worse. Danny Smith for me is Kugler, is Bicknell Jr, he just does not impress me. I want the Steelers to send him packing and hire a real special teams coach, a Mike Munchak level/great special teams coach if you will.

Danny Smith could have Devin Hester in his prime as a punt/kick returner and not know what to do with him.

Why can't Brian Allen be the one who is active on game days to be the gunner and special teamer? If Bryant, Brown, Rogers and JuJu are all active Bey is not going to see the field on offense. Wouldn't it be better to have Allen get a hat on game day and play special teams and develop confidence and work on his tackling and getting familiar with the speed of the game? What can Bey do that Allen could not as a gunner? Bey missed time last season and in this past preseason game he came up gimpy on a catch. Will he even be able to play without missing time?

Smith wants his vets so that he does not have to coach as much it seems to me. Too damn bad, that is your job. I see other teams start and play rookies on special teams and they do pretty well, we have to do the same. Enough with these vets, with these charity cases that really aren't all that impressive on special teams to begin with.

Good points.
I think it's time to admit the same regarding the secondary and Carnel Lake. Let's all remove our heads from the "he's a great Steeler" asscheeks and admit that this guy is a poor coach. The facts are staring us right in the mug...wide open receivers, poor tackling, miscommunication, players out of position...etc. How long do we let this go on?

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers Roster Nearly Set
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 3346
Don't be shocked when DHB and Touissant both make roster with STs given as reason.

I think DHB has been a decent vet depth while here but think it's time to move on. Would prefer Hamilton or Hunter as a 6th WR if they keep that many.

Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Coats, Juju are my 5

Touissant has zero upside IMO and should be cut. Extremely mediocre RB. Keeping him for his "return abilities" is a joke...

Maybe you don't go backyards from 1st & goal at the 1 if you have a guys like Watson running full steam ahead...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers Roster Nearly Set
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 13895
I think DHB is good enough as a gunner to earn him a spot-- I'd rank our gunners as: DHB-Coates-Allen-Dixon. Dixon is probably not going to make it because of just too many ahead of him in the pecking order. So maybe three on the 53 for two jobs.

Thing is: I think you'd like to have some flexibility for who gets a hat on the 53, thus having three great gunners is kind of crucial.

_________________
Whatever it takes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers Roster Nearly Set
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:46 pm 
The Steelers STs are always horrible. That attitude comes from the top.

I wouldnt ditch Lake until all the returns come in on Davis and Burns. He hasnt had much to work with.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Sir Lambert and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group