It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tuitt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1211
I know people don't want to talk about this or think about it but maybe the Steeler don't franchise Bell next year? Or maybe they do by placing the one franchise tag that allows Bell to negotiate with other teams and we get compensated if we don't match the offer he signs.

_________________
The Steelers have a greater chance of finding a Unicorn, or a Sasquatch, or the Loch Ness Monster than they do in finding another great 3-4 OLB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuitt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:03 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Born and raised "Yinzer" living in OKC!
They can push some money to next year. I think we end up having tons of cap room next year too. Not even figuring a Ben retirement in the mix. I figure the minute this seasons over; Gay, Deebo, Moats, are off the books. Then possibly Mitchell, Golden, Sensabaugh, Foster, Hubbard, Big Dan, Bell are swapped for younger cheaper replacements. The cap space should be there. And if Ben's rides off, then the bottom really falls out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuitt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 3424
Steelafan77 wrote:
Fully agreed Chicago. Honestly, this has been the best offseason I've followed since the 1990's. The staff went above and beyond anything I could have sarcstically hoped for. This offseason came as such a surprise I'm still in a bit of shock wrapping my head around it all. Surreal!

Agree- I have been bitching about a lack of trades for 5+ years as a way to acquire players and supplement their drafts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuitt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:17 pm
Posts: 855
Scunge wrote:
I know people don't want to talk about this or think about it but maybe the Steeler don't franchise Bell next year? Or maybe they do by placing the one franchise tag that allows Bell to negotiate with other teams and we get compensated if we don't match the offer he signs.


17 mill for an RB is steep and it limits him to maybe three of four teams that can use him, afford him, and have a chance to have a winning record. The problem in letting a guy set his own market is he might be willing to go somewhere for less if the chances of winning are higher. But the feeling I am getting from Bell- I believe he'll take the pay day knowing that the tread on his tires is limited. Bomb out halfway through the deal and go to rapping full time.

He could have commanded 17 million if the Steelers were coming off an SB victory, in which he was a deciding factor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuitt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 2477
VeritasSteel wrote:
Scunge wrote:
I know people don't want to talk about this or think about it but maybe the Steeler don't franchise Bell next year? Or maybe they do by placing the one franchise tag that allows Bell to negotiate with other teams and we get compensated if we don't match the offer he signs.


17 mill for an RB is steep and it limits him to maybe three of four teams that can use him, afford him, and have a chance to have a winning record. The problem in letting a guy set his own market is he might be willing to go somewhere for less if the chances of winning are higher. But the feeling I am getting from Bell- I believe he'll take the pay day knowing that the tread on his tires is limited. Bomb out halfway through the deal and go to rapping full time.

He could have commanded 17 million if the Steelers were coming off an SB victory, in which he was a deciding factor.


I do not think any RB commands 17M per year. I do not think Barry Sanders would have gotten 17M per year. That being said, the Browns might throw $15 million at him if they think their offense is coming around. But I think 12M is the ceiling on RB ( and I am often wrong).

_________________
So here’s the thing about watching game tape: it’s only as useful as the asshole watching it. - Drew Magary


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuitt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1211
Considering that the top two paid RBs right now are McCoy and Freeman and they make 8 million and 8.25 million per season, I would say that $8 million is the ceiling for RBs right now, Bell is out of his mind turning down the Steelers $12 million offer and nobody is going to pay him $15-17 million.

But hey, slap the non exclusive franchise tag on him next season and let him find a team and sign an offer sheet. Would love to get two first round picks for him.

I feel like next season someone will offer him the exact years and amount that the Steelers offered and he will take it. If it is more guaranteed money up front he will use that as an excuse and say that was the issue with the Steelers offer all along, blah, blah, blah, that he really wasn't looking for $15 million a season, blah, blah, blah.

_________________
The Steelers have a greater chance of finding a Unicorn, or a Sasquatch, or the Loch Ness Monster than they do in finding another great 3-4 OLB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuitt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:17 pm
Posts: 855
jebrick wrote:
VeritasSteel wrote:
Scunge wrote:
I know people don't want to talk about this or think about it but maybe the Steeler don't franchise Bell next year? Or maybe they do by placing the one franchise tag that allows Bell to negotiate with other teams and we get compensated if we don't match the offer he signs.


17 mill for an RB is steep and it limits him to maybe three of four teams that can use him, afford him, and have a chance to have a winning record. The problem in letting a guy set his own market is he might be willing to go somewhere for less if the chances of winning are higher. But the feeling I am getting from Bell- I believe he'll take the pay day knowing that the tread on his tires is limited. Bomb out halfway through the deal and go to rapping full time.

He could have commanded 17 million if the Steelers were coming off an SB victory, in which he was a deciding factor.


I do not think any RB commands 17M per year. I do not think Barry Sanders would have gotten 17M per year. That being said, the Browns might throw $15 million at him if they think their offense is coming around. But I think 12M is the ceiling on RB ( and I am often wrong).


You have a guy in the top 5 RB and a top 30 WR on the team in 13 Regular season games. Something that has NEVER happened before. Bell has better-receiving numbers than 1/2 of the league's number ones playing in 3 fewer games. So to say a guy doesn't deserve 17 million based on the past stars is erroneous based on a static few of money, inflation, TV contracts and what he brings to the table.

I would say that in today's market a Herschel Walker or Barry Sanders could command 20 million if they could run routes like a WR. Now for the sake of argument, I will say that Bell cannot ask for that based on his playoff performances(or lack thereof) and his traditional 2 or 3 game layoffs at the beginning of seasons. But if Bell puts up 2500 yards from scrimmage this year and we win the SB- 17 million will be his.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuitt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:36 pm
Posts: 1338
AP got 14.5ish in '14 ?

Bell is well worth 15. He and his agent arent dumb.
They knew he was getting tagged at 12ish and the following year would be 14.5ish.

They are setting the market. He wil be 27 when he hits the market in '19. He will have low miles and 2 rings. Hes easily gonna get 15M+ . We will get pick 97 and 98 for Bell and Bryant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuitt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:50 am
Posts: 2689
SteelerChef wrote:
AP got 14.5ish in '14 ?

Bell is well worth 15. He and his agent arent dumb.
They knew he was getting tagged at 12ish and the following year would be 14.5ish.

They are setting the market. He wil be 27 when he hits the market in '19. He will have low miles and 2 rings. Hes easily gonna get 15M+ . We will get pick 97 and 98 for Bell and Bryant



All I can say to that is Demarco Murray.

Murray rushed for 1800 yards and caught 400 yards worth of passes. He went into free agency and saw the market for RBs was soft and took an $8 million per year contract. Bell is worth what somebody will pay him, I doubt that is much higher than what he was offered by the Steelers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuitt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:36 pm
Posts: 1338
SP wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:
AP got 14.5ish in '14 ?

Bell is well worth 15. He and his agent arent dumb.
They knew he was getting tagged at 12ish and the following year would be 14.5ish.

They are setting the market. He wil be 27 when he hits the market in '19. He will have low miles and 2 rings. Hes easily gonna get 15M+ . We will get pick 97 and 98 for Bell and Bryant



All I can say to that is Demarco Murray.

Murray rushed for 1800 yards and caught 400 yards worth of passes. He went into free agency and saw the market for RBs was soft and took an $8 million per year contract. Bell is worth what somebody will pay him, I doubt that is much higher than what he was offered by the Steelers.


I agree.

In '19 the cap is gonna be 190 or damn close. The Steelers will have room if they want to sign both Bell AND Bryant


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Poltargyst and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group