It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How I draft our next franchise QB...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:59 pm 

Yes, this may be crazy but here me out. If I am the GM of the Steelers I use Leveon Bell to get the draft capital to move up to get one of the top QBs in the 2018 NFL draft.

This time around the Steelers place the Non Exclusive Franchise Tag on Bell. This is placed on him the first week in March, 2018 and Bell and his agent can field offers from teams and shop for a contract. If a team gets him to agree to an offer, he signs the offer and the Steelers have 5 days to match. We would choose to decline the offer and in turn would receive two first round draft picks.

So, think about that for a second if that actually happened. We would have two first round picks in 2018, our own and the the first round pick from that the team. And then in 2019 we would have again, our own 1st round pick and that other team's first round pick.

We would have four first round picks for 2018-2019. That is how I would get the draft capital, the ammunition to move up to get that next franchise QB, be it Sam Darnold or Josh Allen.

That is how I would do it. This GM stuff is child's play, not hard at all!! 8-)

Post subject: Re: How I draft our next franchise QB...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:09 am 

Not crazy at all. Our hope for a franchise QB rides with Bell. I expect that to happen. I was actually scared they had a deal in place with a team and when he signed today he could get moved. I also think there is a chance they sign him after the season before free agency then move him. Or franchise him again next year and move him once he signs. What I don't expect is them to pay him 14.8 mill for one let alone more than one season. I'm thinking we really need to enjoy him this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:19 am 
I would gladly take 2 1st for Bell.

Finding a team to give them up for a RB they are free to negotiate with in a yr is the hard part.

Essentially they are giving up 2 1st for getting Bell one yr earlier than they would have otherwise and keeping their picks.

Since Bell is going to be the highest paid RB at 15M+ or close ....it really narrows down the field....

However.....hopefully the FO is smart enough to realize a 3C is all but guaranteed and they can work out a better " you can have Bell 1 yr early " scenario. If a team offered a 1 and 3 Id ship Bell out on the 1st thing smoking. A 2 and a 3 would be a helluva lot better than a 3C at that

Furthermore......no fucking way do I draft a rd 1 one QB while Ben is here....we should be making it easier for him to stick around as long as possible not harder.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:25 am 

With my scenario we could actually have Ben go ahead and retire if that is what he wants. Throw the rookie QB in there and let him play, and spend a 2nd round pick on a RB.

The money saved by Ben retiring would allow them to maybe sign Martavis Bryant if he really turns his life around and achieves his potential as a WR.

I know people keep telling me to prepare for this depressing 20 year stretch of life after Ben, that it will take that long to find our next franchise QB but I refuse to believe that!

The Steelers are in a unique position and have been dealt a nice hand of cards (Bell). They have to use the draft picks that they could get for Bell to set this team up at QB for the next 15 years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:28 am 

But Chef, how many chances do you get to move up high in the draft? Using Bell to get there is really the only option I see to get it done. And it does not matter if Ben retires, or plays out his current contract, if you see the opportunity to add that next 15 year franchise QB you go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:31 am 
No No and No.

You dont just draft a great QB. You get lucky. Or unlucky which happens much more often.

Exactly 7 QBs in the league have won Lombardis. Ben is nowhere near done physically. You hang to a winner until past the very end and then deal with whatever cards you got.

Drafting a 1st rd QB is a dumb move while Ben is here

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:39 am 
Ryan Shazier
Jarvis Jones
Lawrence Timmons
Ziggy Hood
Rashard Mendenhall
Kendall Simmons
Troy Edwards
Jemain Stevens
Chad Scott....

Have a few thoughts on 1st rd picks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:45 am 

Who is to say he will even play out his contract? From the trade activity that we have seen just in the past week, maybe Colbert and Tomlin know more than you, eh? Maybe they know Ben is totally serious about retiring soon and that is why we have seen what we have seen this past week in terms of the trades and going for broke?

If this is Ben's last year or his next to last year, the time for drafting his replacement starts with this upcoming 2018 draft. And my argument is that with Bell you have the chips to move up, or the ability to acquire the chips to move up to get that QB.

This team is not going to tank anytime soon to pick in the top 10 again, and hell, most of the franchise QB are usually taken in the first 3 picks of late. You can't squander the opportunity of Bell and the extra picks that he may provide to get that next Ben.

I get that people want Ben to play forever and I myself want him to play out the next 3 seasons but I am skeptical, and there is no harm doing what Green Bay did with Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:47 am 

"Furthermore......no fucking way do I draft a rd 1 one QB while Ben is here....we should be making it easier for him to stick around as long as possible not harder."

Why not? Do you think the Packers made a mistake drafting Rodgers? That the Steelers were wise in passing on 1st round choice QBs because Bradshaw was going to around a while?

Maybe in a few years, if Bryant keeps clean, he can be catching passes from his cousin.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:10 am 
:lol:

Look...Ben is still the best QB in the nfl and you morons wanna put him out to pasture because you cant stand even the thought of being in QB hell for bit and with zero guarantee that your dumb and unfeasible nonsense will even work much less be available ????? Grow the hell up.....lol

Your the same Steeler fans who burned Bradshaw in effigy ....in HIS motherfucking home stadium....

Your the same Steeler fans who couldnt WAIT to run Santonio outta town(Ravens and their Lombardi say thanks)
Etc etc etc
The list is long...

The plan should be convince Ben to sign on for 5 more.....NOT get rid of him early

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:36 am 

Sorry Chef but you are delusional.

Why did the Steelers draft JuJu? Why did they not just sign DeAngelo Williams to be Bell's backup and instead draft Connor? Why bother to sign Antonio Brown to a new contract? Why did they make the trade for Vance McDonald?

Why bother to sign Stephon Tuitt? The answers to all of these questions is that this is a team and it just does not end or cease to exist when Ben decides to call it a career. Ben will retire, maybe after this season, maybe after 2018, but it is soon. A GM like Colbert and a head coach like Tomlin just don't cease to exist either, there lives will go on without Ben and they know they have to prepare for the next franchise QB.

Dobbs was drafted I feel to be the backup, and soon, maybe in the 2018 draft they will draft the next Ben. There is no reason why those two QBs can't be the 2nd and 3rd QBs behind Ben and move up to the #1 and #2 spots when he retires. The Brett Farve/Aaron Rodgers scenario is perfect and is what the Steelers should try and do. Chargers did the same thing with Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers. KC did the same by taking Pat Mahommes and having him learn behind Alex Smith.

It is a pretty proven way to develop your franchise QB, don't just throw him to the wolves, let him marinate for a couple years.

But, you have to get that QB to begin with, and it isn't going to happen picking 30th. That is why you use Bell and package picks and move up to get that franchise QB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:53 am 

Sign me up for this multiple 1st round picks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:15 am 

Trick will be finding the team that will surrender two first round picks for Bell.

And then finding a team with which to trade up.

Then identifying which of the top QBs is the right one to go after.

Those are the "non-child's play" parts of the job.

But a very good plan anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:39 am 

Scunge you are one of the better posters here. I enjoy reading your comments. This premise is a long shot. Why? This premise is dependant upon a RB needy team wanting to part ways with two...,1st RND picks. For a twice suspended, multiple injured and expensive 26-27 year old RB. I guess it's possible. I wouldn't hold my breath if I'm any of you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:52 am 

Scunge wrote:
[u]Who is to say he will even play out his contract? From the trade activity that we have seen just in the past week, maybe Colbert and Tomlin know more than you, eh? Maybe they know Ben is totally serious about retiring soon and that is why we have seen what we have seen this past week in terms of the trades and going for broke?[/u]

If this is Ben's last year or his next to last year, the time for drafting his replacement starts with this upcoming 2018 draft. And my argument is that with Bell you have the chips to move up, or the ability to acquire the chips to move up to get that QB.

This team is not going to tank anytime soon to pick in the top 10 again, and hell, most of the franchise QB are usually taken in the first 3 picks of late. You can't squander the opportunity of Bell and the extra picks that he may provide to get that next Ben.

I get that people want Ben to play forever and I myself want him to play out the next 3 seasons but I am skeptical, and there is no harm doing what Green Bay did with Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers.

Great stuff Scunge yet again. The bolded is exactly what stands out to me. I'm going to take the time to enjoy having Big Ben while we still do because I think he's already discussed with the brass when his exit will be. Could be off here but either way the point still stands, I don't look forward to Steeler football without Big Ben. Hopeful we don't go the 26yr route again. Your idea is solid. Chef is delusional as always.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:34 am 
Many of you are just....beyond hope....lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:37 am 

SteelerChef wrote:

If Ben is so brittle he can't deal with the Steelers planning for the post-Ben future, then there's something wrong with him.

BEN is the one who floated his retirement out there...and you believe the correct response to that by the Steelers is to NOT plan for the future for fear of offending him?

That is utterly stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:40 am 

If Ben indeed retires after this year, the best thing would be to sign Bell to a contract (with both parties agreeing to trade him) where the Steelers can keep most of the cap hit in the trade. Then someone might pony up some draft capital. But I might want a partial tear down if Ben does retire. See what aging players can be traded (maybe Brown, maybe Pouncey, Heyward, etc. Accumulate a lot of draft capital over the next few seasons, and then quickly reload. Build around guys like Tuitt, Watt, Bryant, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:43 am 

Getting to a point in draft to take a potential franchise QB is just one part the next is harder: drafting one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:44 am 

SteelerChef wrote:
:lol:

Look...Ben is still the best QB in the nfl and you morons wanna put him out to pasture because you cant stand even the thought of being in QB hell for bit and with zero guarantee that your dumb and unfeasible nonsense will even work much less be available ????? Grow the hell up.....lol

Your the same Steeler fans who burned Bradshaw in effigy ....in HIS motherfucking home stadium....

Your the same Steeler fans who couldnt WAIT to run Santonio outta town(Ravens and their Lombardi say thanks)
Etc etc etc
The list is long...

The plan should be convince Ben to sign on for 5 more.....NOT get rid of him early

Do you ever tire of being a douchebag extraodinaire?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:03 am 
Heres a MUCH MUCH BETTER idea.....

1. Ben is under contract for '17 '18 and '19. Instead of pushing a HOFer who is still the best QB in the nfl out the door you DO WHATEVER YOU CAN to keep him happy and playing. And you try to extend his time beyond that.

2. The '18 draft looks most likely like this 1 2 3 5 5 5C 7. You trade up in the 1st to get a truly great ILB. Perhaps Malik Jefferson. You give up 1 2 5 if you have to. Problem solved at ILB hopefully. With 3 5 5 7 you have plenty of ammo to grab a great prospect at FS or SS like Cole Reyes. You go out and win Lombardi 8

3. The '19 draft looks like this in that scenario. 1 2 3 3 3 4 5 6 7. You do whatever you have to do with those massive picks to make a serious run at Lombardi 9 and convince Ben to stick around another year or 2.

That doesnt happen spending a blue chip pick on college kid QBs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:07 am 
Jeemie wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:

If Ben is so brittle he can't deal with the Steelers planning for the post-Ben future, then there's something wrong with him.

BEN is the one who floated his retirement out there...and you believe the correct response to that by the Steelers is to NOT plan for the future for fear of offending him?

That is utterly stupid.

1st of all Jeemie ...i cede to your expertise in utterly stupid...

2ndly.....uhmm ???....err ???...thats all i got :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:10 am 

Scunge wrote:
Who is to say he will even play out his contract? From the trade activity that we have seen just in the past week, maybe Colbert and Tomlin know more than you, eh? Maybe they know Ben is totally serious about retiring soon and that is why we have seen what we have seen this past week in terms of the trades and going for broke?

I thought the same thing. We have to admit the moves of the FO this past month have been a 180 change from their history. It makes sense that they know the stuff with Ben is real and the time is now. It would have been nice they took this approach yearly....but better late than never.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:15 am 
steelclan wrote:
Getting to a point in draft to take a potential franchise QB is just one part the next is harder: drafting one.

Exactly....much less developing one...

Why speed the day Ben is no more ?....you ALREADY HAVE A GREAT QB.....why not upgrade around him ?

Steeler fans are often some of the dumbest in terms of actually realizing valuing and holding on to greatness

Its like they worship the process more than the greatness itself.

EVERYBODY was ALL ABOUT unloading Rod Woodson because that uppity ATHLETE wanted paid.

Rod got a ring elsewhere

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:23 am 

Let us review 3 QBs taken this past draft and what teams did to maneuver to the spot to take them.

The Bears were picking 3rd and moved up to the #2 spot and gave this to the 49ers:
1st, 3rd, 4th round picks in 2017 draft, and a 3rd rounder for 2018. They then chose Mitch Trubisky.

KC was next and they were picking 27th, Reid loved Mahommes (I do too) and so they traded up with Buffalo.
They went from 27th to 10th, and gave up:
1st round, 3rd round picks in 2017, and a 1st rounder in 2018.

The Texans were picking 25th and they moved up to 12th to select Watson. They traded with the Cleveland Browns to do so.
The Browns got Houston's 1st rounder in 2017 and a 1st rounder in 2018.

I won't go into what the previous draft had, but most know that the Rams and Eagles gave up packages of picks to move up to get Goff and Wentz. That is what the Steelers are looking at just by examining the past two drafts.

If we are picking 30th again, or hopefully 32nd, there is no way to draft a top QB from that spot. If my scenario of letting Bell leave to another team and getting those 1st round picks as compensation were to happen, it would make it possible to move up in the draft easily.

In terms of identifying who is the best QB, well people right now are saying Darnold and Josh Allen, and maybe that changes between now and then, but it could very well be a case where both are selected in the top two picks of the 2018 draft. And again, the Steelers don't necessarily have to trade up to the #1 spot, they can make a deal of the #2 spot. That top spot, whoever that team may be will most likely always just take the top pass rusher available and if they take a QB, you still have one remaining for us to take at the #2 spot. Yes, this is all speculation and projection on my part but his is how things work out every year, the top QBs or who are perceived as the top QBs go quickly.

The Leveon Bell thing is interesting in regards to who would be willing to sign him and give up two first round picks as compensation. To me signing Bell to a contract and giving up first round picks to do so has one advantage for a team. Say a team was picking around the middle of the pack, somewhere around 15-16. The two first round picks that they give up to the Steelers, those picks would cost that team some $26 million normally. So, say they have to give Bell a 5 year, $75 million contract, it is mitigated and has less of a sting because they don't have to pay for two first round picks. That $75 million contract to Bell can be seen as actually $49 million when you subtract those two first rounders. I can see a team, some team finding that appealing. There has to be more than a few teams in that middle area of the NFL pecking order, that are not playoff teams, yet not bottom feeders, that have to feel like maybe they are one marquee player away from becoming a playoff contender, a division winner, etc.

All I am saying is that when you look at what teams do to find franchise QBs, and what they have to do to move up, giving Bell the Non-Exclusive Franchise tag for 2018 is the Steelers best course of action to make it happen.

And Chef, the Steelers getting a QB does not stop Ben from playing out his contract. It does not stop them from continuing to add players each and every year in the draft and through free agency. I think Colbert has put together a strong, young team, and as GM he has to plan for the future. Many are concerned about this year or next and hoping Ben wins another Super Bowl but Colbert and the Steelers are thinking years down the road too, you have to plan that way. Having a Brett Farve/Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees/Philip Rivers is a great situation to be in. You look at the Cowboys with Romo and Dak Prescott last year, anything can happen, did the Cowboys just think Romo would continue to play out his contract? He is retired now but still had two years left on his contract. You can't just stick your head in the sand and hope everything will work out. You can't just hope the Steelers go 1-15 and get the top pick in the draft, that is not going to happen.

Last edited by Scunge on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.