It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: How I draft our next franchise QB...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:59 pm 

Yes, this may be crazy but here me out. If I am the GM of the Steelers I use Leveon Bell to get the draft capital to move up to get one of the top QBs in the 2018 NFL draft.

This time around the Steelers place the Non Exclusive Franchise Tag on Bell. This is placed on him the first week in March, 2018 and Bell and his agent can field offers from teams and shop for a contract. If a team gets him to agree to an offer, he signs the offer and the Steelers have 5 days to match. We would choose to decline the offer and in turn would receive two first round draft picks.

So, think about that for a second if that actually happened. We would have two first round picks in 2018, our own and the the first round pick from that the team. And then in 2019 we would have again, our own 1st round pick and that other team's first round pick.

We would have four first round picks for 2018-2019. That is how I would get the draft capital, the ammunition to move up to get that next franchise QB, be it Sam Darnold or Josh Allen.

That is how I would do it. This GM stuff is child's play, not hard at all!! 8-)

Post subject: Re: How I draft our next franchise QB...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:09 am 

Not crazy at all. Our hope for a franchise QB rides with Bell. I expect that to happen. I was actually scared they had a deal in place with a team and when he signed today he could get moved. I also think there is a chance they sign him after the season before free agency then move him. Or franchise him again next year and move him once he signs. What I don't expect is them to pay him 14.8 mill for one let alone more than one season. I'm thinking we really need to enjoy him this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:19 am 
I would gladly take 2 1st for Bell.

Finding a team to give them up for a RB they are free to negotiate with in a yr is the hard part.

Essentially they are giving up 2 1st for getting Bell one yr earlier than they would have otherwise and keeping their picks.

Since Bell is going to be the highest paid RB at 15M+ or close ....it really narrows down the field....

However.....hopefully the FO is smart enough to realize a 3C is all but guaranteed and they can work out a better " you can have Bell 1 yr early " scenario. If a team offered a 1 and 3 Id ship Bell out on the 1st thing smoking. A 2 and a 3 would be a helluva lot better than a 3C at that

Furthermore......no fucking way do I draft a rd 1 one QB while Ben is here....we should be making it easier for him to stick around as long as possible not harder.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:25 am 

With my scenario we could actually have Ben go ahead and retire if that is what he wants. Throw the rookie QB in there and let him play, and spend a 2nd round pick on a RB.

The money saved by Ben retiring would allow them to maybe sign Martavis Bryant if he really turns his life around and achieves his potential as a WR.

I know people keep telling me to prepare for this depressing 20 year stretch of life after Ben, that it will take that long to find our next franchise QB but I refuse to believe that!

The Steelers are in a unique position and have been dealt a nice hand of cards (Bell). They have to use the draft picks that they could get for Bell to set this team up at QB for the next 15 years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:28 am 

But Chef, how many chances do you get to move up high in the draft? Using Bell to get there is really the only option I see to get it done. And it does not matter if Ben retires, or plays out his current contract, if you see the opportunity to add that next 15 year franchise QB you go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:31 am 
No No and No.

You dont just draft a great QB. You get lucky. Or unlucky which happens much more often.

Exactly 7 QBs in the league have won Lombardis. Ben is nowhere near done physically. You hang to a winner until past the very end and then deal with whatever cards you got.

Drafting a 1st rd QB is a dumb move while Ben is here

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:39 am 
Ryan Shazier
Jarvis Jones
Lawrence Timmons
Ziggy Hood
Rashard Mendenhall
Kendall Simmons
Troy Edwards
Jemain Stevens
Chad Scott....

Have a few thoughts on 1st rd picks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:45 am 

Who is to say he will even play out his contract? From the trade activity that we have seen just in the past week, maybe Colbert and Tomlin know more than you, eh? Maybe they know Ben is totally serious about retiring soon and that is why we have seen what we have seen this past week in terms of the trades and going for broke?

If this is Ben's last year or his next to last year, the time for drafting his replacement starts with this upcoming 2018 draft. And my argument is that with Bell you have the chips to move up, or the ability to acquire the chips to move up to get that QB.

This team is not going to tank anytime soon to pick in the top 10 again, and hell, most of the franchise QB are usually taken in the first 3 picks of late. You can't squander the opportunity of Bell and the extra picks that he may provide to get that next Ben.

I get that people want Ben to play forever and I myself want him to play out the next 3 seasons but I am skeptical, and there is no harm doing what Green Bay did with Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:47 am 

"Furthermore......no fucking way do I draft a rd 1 one QB while Ben is here....we should be making it easier for him to stick around as long as possible not harder."

Why not? Do you think the Packers made a mistake drafting Rodgers? That the Steelers were wise in passing on 1st round choice QBs because Bradshaw was going to around a while?

Maybe in a few years, if Bryant keeps clean, he can be catching passes from his cousin.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:10 am 
:lol:

Look...Ben is still the best QB in the nfl and you morons wanna put him out to pasture because you cant stand even the thought of being in QB hell for bit and with zero guarantee that your dumb and unfeasible nonsense will even work much less be available ????? Grow the hell up.....lol

Your the same Steeler fans who burned Bradshaw in effigy ....in HIS motherfucking home stadium....

Your the same Steeler fans who couldnt WAIT to run Santonio outta town(Ravens and their Lombardi say thanks)
Etc etc etc
The list is long...

The plan should be convince Ben to sign on for 5 more.....NOT get rid of him early

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next