It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cornerbacks
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:51 pm 

Unlike most, I was fairly impressed with the improvements to the D the second half of last year (excluding the AFCC, obviously).

I think with more talent (and health, hopefully) available this year, the defense will take that next step. But like last year the first half of the season is going to have more than a few bumps in the road.

Will also be a good test for Butler, because unlike last season the soft part of the schedule is in the first half of the year. My concern is the coaches tend to have an irrational fear of beating ourselves against weak teams....and as a result too often we see a tight, sloppy team flailing to be mistake free and make plays against teams they should dominate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:48 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
ChicagoSteel wrote:
Pray Burns stays healthy.

... and Haden. Your back ups are an Old Gay, Very Young Allen and a very mediocre Sensabaugh. Would be a nightmare.

Suwanee88 wrote:
I don't know the stats, but I thought Brady looked decent in the first half with all day to throw despite Eric Berry containing Gronk. Then KC got after him a lot more in the 2nd which fucked him up.

That's obviously the formula. We learned that the hard way.

This ^

Exactly SF77. It's not like we have a Carnell Lake to man up if Burns goes down. We lost a HOF'er in Woodson and went to the SuperBowl. Some teams can lose their #1 CB and adjust.

Fat chance with this crew. The talent delta between the starting CBs and their backups is just too great....and that's assuming Haden bounces back.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:08 pm 

Truth is steelers have an extremely shitty track record on DBs. Yeah from Woodson and lake to this season it's been mostly a crapfest. Polamalu. Do they get any credit for him? Ike was one of my favorite players of that era but Ike was rarely an island type corner. Bunch of guys were decent at best, most guys were forgettable.

Why this is is simple. They have a culture of downplaying the importance of the D secondary. What do they do to rebuild the defense? Get a shitload of front 7 guys then scramble when it's painfully aware they're behind the curve to catch up.

Mind you I applaud them for acknowledging reality and catching up.

That's another big reason I like Haden. Butler, tomlin and lake are probably not going within 20 feet of him. What do they have to teach him? What does Haden have to teach them is the better question.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:37 pm 

I'll be watching all the CBs against the Browns. But especially Haden. He should be very charged up for this game.