It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The insanely BS delayed 45 seconds personal foul
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:47 pm 

fortythree wrote:
In the one replay angle you can see the side judge reaching for his flag the moment the hit occurs.

It was only late because of wardrobe malfunction on that official's part.

...exactly right. Doesn't mean the game hasn't been pussified to the extreme though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:12 pm 

The amount of ticky tack calls in the NFL make it almost unwatchable. I watched about 7-8 college games this year and never once got as frustrated with officiating. It's like there is an agenda in the NFL for the refs to impact the game. The browns got hosed on a couple too. And it was just never-ending dumb flags.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:00 am 

If the WR catches the ball (his job) Gay crushes him in the chest and no problem. The WR bungles the catch and his head drops and the defender gets a penalty is just plain wrong.

Seems it is always with the Browns this shit gets called against us. The game when Harrison got his 2 KO's the WR moved his head to were it should not have been (bobble catch and start to duck down) and I am sorry but if James Harrison's head is going somewhere you should keep you head far away from that place.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:32 am 
For emphasis....

SteelerChef wrote:
Whether anyone agrees or not the nfl is a momentarily scripted league. Its run above all else by money and real genuine sport is at a low point and ever shrinking.
Everyone here deep down realized this years ago. We can do nothing about it and wont try because we are all helpless addicts and cant stop.

The nfl LIKES the fact EVERY single play is in the hands of the refs. It gives them more trumped up drama to promote and most importantly sell.

The fact is like I said above...the nfl has us and has had our demographic for decades. Notably 100 percent of our demographic or damn close. It literally got so big and so successful with its core audience there was no where to go but down.

All of this new nonsense appeals to "fans" who dont have a clue and previously dismissed solid football as boring.

Im not making this up. Teams including the Steelers have been and will be again penalized for A CLEAN LEGAL HIT WITHIN THE RULES BUT HITTING A PLAYER TOO HARD. Thats a fact. The nfl's desire to sell drama rather than sport has long ago taken hold.

All of us here remember GREAT games where each team was under 20 pts at the end. In fact MANY great games. SB 9 is a pretty decent example btw.

Most of these new fans have damn near zero understanding of the game other than....loooook at that greaaaat catch !!....or yaaaay a TD !!

All this manufactured bs replay referee decides the play crap appeals to them and thats how the nfl wants it. Because they have created a business model where its core consumers are addicts.....its employees are paid tremendously by normal standards but little in relation to the overall product....and its growth market will go along with whatever because they never really cared in the 1st place....

Its core cant stop....its employees traded what littlle they had for personal wealth....its growth market doesnt enjoy or understand real sport.....

But the money.....it keeps pouring in.....so everthing is fine.....and even if its not.....not fine will become the new fine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:36 am 
And to be clear....I fully support any and all legitimate player safety rules.....I realize the game has to change in that regard somewhat.....

Its the absence of genuine competition....the emphasis on drama over sport that generates the worst outcomes in all this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:55 am 

Good points chef. I give you..., in two words..., Fantasy Football.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:58 am 

Things are or should be easy for players - aim for the dick! But yes, the NFL needs to recognize that WR's dip their heads down and if that happens, no penalty should be called as they are bracing for the hit. Can't fault a CB or S for hitting a guys head if he drops his head by a foot. Gay's hit was too high. Yes the WR head dipped, but Gay could have gone lower on the hit with the same outcome. I know they like to hit the chest area to pop the ball out, but they risk a flag every time as undoubted the WR's head takes a small impact as well - which will be called nearly every time. It is what it is. I'm more frustrated with our guys who come in too high - like I said - aim for the dick!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:00 am 

I'm really starting to believe that the NFL has a mandate to do the most they can do to keep cames close and competitive as deep into the game as possible. If there is a big legit penalty on one team, you can bet your ass there will be a penalty coming against the other team to try to even out the game, legit or not. I'm not a big conspiracy theorist, but shit.

I mean, that one holding call on Pouncey to negate a big Bell run......that could be called EVERY play. So the ref just picks and choices what impactful play to call it on. And that call happened to extend the closeness of the game.

Last edited by R S on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:05 am 

The thing there 98 and this is pure speculation on my part is, perhaps Gay thought is prudent to hit the WR dislodging the ball? Perhaps Gay was already in motion to throw his shoulder at the chest of the WR knowing the ball is immediately secured in the chest area as a means to dislodge the football? Perhaps Gay just got out of control? I think it was a bang, bang action that is par for the course in a full contact sport and the refs had no business throwing flags at it. Especially after allowing time to lapse. That said, there were far more egregious flags thrown throughout the game so I chalk that one up to raise your head/helmet and see what you're hitting before lunging at your target. It is impossible to make adjustments once you've committed yourself into your tackle motion. I hope it was a learning experience for the whole team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 am 

alancac98 wrote:
Things are or should be easy for players - aim for the dick! But yes, the NFL needs to recognize that WR's dip their heads down and if that happens, no penalty should be called as they are bracing for the hit. Can't fault a CB or S for hitting a guys head if he drops his head by a foot. Gay's hit was too high. Yes the WR head dipped, but Gay could have gone lower on the hit with the same outcome. I know they like to hit the chest area to pop the ball out, but they risk a flag every time as undoubted the WR's head takes a small impact as well - which will be called nearly every time. It is what it is. I'm more frustrated with our guys who come in too high - like I said - aim for the dick!

There is no way that complicating things further for officials by saying it's not a penalty if the receiver ducks his head would work out for the best.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next