It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Re-watch Offense
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:35 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ben had about 28 throws less than 10 yards downfield on Sunday. He had 7 incompletions, of which at least 3 were drops (Bryant, Eli, McDonald) and one was a horrible route by Bell where Ben's throw was good.

That leaves 3/28 throws that were not accurate short throws. Here's the chart (doesn't count at least three throws negated by penalties- two screens and the throw to AB negated by Bell chop block):
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/all/pittsburgh-steelers/season/week/ben-roethlisberger/ROE750381/2017/1/pass

Again, how many inaccurate throws do you think Tom Brady had on Thursday night? 3/28 doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

KC's defense vs. Cleveland's defense. C'mon, man!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:40 pm 

Obviously wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ben had about 28 throws less than 10 yards downfield on Sunday. He had 7 incompletions, of which at least 3 were drops (Bryant, Eli, McDonald) and one was a horrible route by Bell where Ben's throw was good.

That leaves 3/28 throws that were not accurate short throws. Here's the chart (doesn't count at least three throws negated by penalties- two screens and the throw to AB negated by Bell chop block):
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/all/pittsburgh-steelers/season/week/ben-roethlisberger/ROE750381/2017/1/pass

Again, how many inaccurate throws do you think Tom Brady had on Thursday night? 3/28 doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

open short throws are open short throws, man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:42 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Obviously wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

open short throws are open short throws, man

KC will be missing arguably their best defensive player. Toss up between Berry and Houston.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:44 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Cool graphic. Even more damning is the one of bells runs. Now that's some boring play calling.

Any rate I'm over it and ready to take on Sam fucking Bradford!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:44 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

I don't how I can explain it in any more detail. The pass you mention to Fleener is another example of what I'm talking about. You keep going to drops and incompletions, but I'm not only talking about those. Did Fleener not make the catch he "dropped"? Yes, but was the pass towards his back shoulder instead of "in-stride"? Yes, it sure was. The best placement of that pass would have been at his front shoulder where he could grab it with his hands and continue his path without losing any momentum. Ben does this a lot, you either don't want to see it or you want to make excuses for why it happens and they are almost always not his fault, in your mind.

Trust me, I wish I didn't have to mention his below the line play in this area, but I want near perfection from my elite, $100M, HOF QB on the simpler duties of being just that.

We obviously see this area of Ben's game completely different. I totally agree with you on Ben's over 20 yd long passing ability....he pretty damn good/great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:46 pm 

I just want to reiterate something from earlier on Alien. Yes he didn't have game we all wanted him to have, however, go back and look play AB drew DPI to put Steelers in position for eventual TD. Focus on Bryant on other side of the field and attention he draws. It highlights that even when he isn't lighting up the stat sheet his presence alone results in favorable match ups elsewhere. Steelers did not have that last season at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 pm 

DP39-- it's arguable, I guess, but I'm not sure the right play on that throw to McDonald is to put the ball out in front of him, towards the defender. It seems a little risky for the situation. Regardless, in slow motion view, the throw missed hitting him between the 8 and the 9 by about three inches.

I fully understand the point you are making, but I think you are seeing the outliers and using it (unintentionally) to manufacture a position that ignores the vast majority of the throws and the context of them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm 

There has been a couple articles today discussing the intention to run more 4 wife sets moving forward. Thing is, it was also suggested those formations would be coupled with an empty backfield.

My initial response is I like the idea of running some more 4 wide but why take away the threat of run by using a TE?

Seems you have infinitely more option out of 4 wide with a running back than you do 4 wife and a TE.

Hopefully they aren't rigid in this approach and realize the huge benefit of running out of spread sets as well as using play action.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:36 pm 

955876 wrote:
There has been a couple articles today discussing the intention to run more 4 wife sets moving forward.

The polygamist steeler fans approve, but caution that wife 1 is most likely the size of a lineman at this point in time,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:38 pm 

955876 wrote:
There has been a couple articles today discussing the intention to run more 4 wife sets moving forward. Thing is, it was also suggested those formations would be coupled with an empty backfield.

My initial response is I like the idea of running some more 4 wide but why take away the threat of run by using a TE?

Seems you have infinitely more option out of 4 wide with a running back than you do 4 wife and a TE.

Hopefully they aren't rigid in this approach and realize the huge benefit of running out of spread sets as well as using play action.

Thoughts?

Because the short passes to WRs and TE ARE run plays disguised as passes. They are just run plays not run into a box of large people.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next