It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: injury report week 3
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:31 pm 

Ehh, this goes against my nature, but to be fair to the Roon's, they gave the dude a small SB, and in the grand scheme of things, made a pretty calculated gamble on the guy, with small repercussions if it didn't work out. The Woodendong deal hurt way worse for twice as long.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:57 pm 

The failed physical came after an in season injury....8 months after the contract was signed. It's entirely possible that he cleared a physical in March then failed after the season.

And for context, Green would have been the #22 highest paid TE in the NFL had he stayed healthy....it's not like we broke the bank for him. And this dead money you're complaining about is less than Shaun Suisham. It terms of the cap, its a drop in the bucket. Dennis Pitta is costing the Ravens $2.5m this year and $2.2m next year.

If this is the Steelers' "worst signing ever" then the FO is doing a damn good job.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:18 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Easy to surmise when you think about it. The proof was in the releasing of Green for failing a physical. My point is you don't sign a guy with health issues for multiple years and $20Mil if you know he's in poor health. Dude only played 6 fucking games. Catching 18 passes for 304 yards and ready... wait for it.... 1 fucking TD. So, the athletic, injured, pass-catching tight end made perfect sense from a schematic sense? Seriously? You'd sign a guy for multiple years and $20Mil knowing he's had multiple concussions and will play just 6 games? Worst signing ever IMHO. Apparently, you all are ok with that since there's no hard evidence proving this dude a POS. I call it intuition. Further, if you're the Steelers FO would you want people knowing how gullible you are?

Gullible? lol. This is a dumb post full of reactionary, results based arguments. I agree with nothing other than Green's stats.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:06 pm 

Notice Green on another roster? Reactionary? Sure. Dumb? Perhaps by your perception. In the end dude knew it was likely his last chance at a payday. Green will have made $7.515Mil of the $20Mil he signed for..., for 18 catches and 1 TD is highway robbery. Not a good job IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 pm 

Falcons struggled to win in Chicago in week 1

I know everyone thinks this game is a gimme, but Bears looked good at home -- the RB #29 looks good

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:34 am 

People are still talking about Green? His signing was not that bad, it was a very good, nicely structured contract that allowed them to get out from under it if the gamble did not pay off. And yes, it was a gamble, but so what? When you have a Super Bowl caliber team missing a couple pieces, you want your team to take on a few gambles.

Just like how they have taken a chance on Joe Haden, and Vance McDonald and JJ Wilcox.

I also think people are dismissing too easily what Green did in that 6 game stretch, the added dimension that he brought to the offense. Many of us on this board have been talking about how the Steelers needed a real vertical threat at TE while others shit all over the idea saying all we needed was another Miller type, Jesse James is all we need supposedly.

In the Colts game Green had 2 catches for 67 yards, one was for 35 yards, the other for 32 yards. I believe that set a Steeler record for TEs, to have 2 catches over 30+ yards in the same game.

So, the very next game what does Green do? Well, he does it again. He has a 37 yard catch and a 33 yard catch against the Giants and ends the night with 6 catches for 110 yards and 1 TD. The TD was a 20 yard catch. Green has 2 games back to back where he had 4 catches over 30+ yards, 37,35,33, and 32 AND had a 20 yard TD catch for good measure. The next two games he added an 18 yard catch against Buffalo and a 23 yard and a 28 yard catch against Cincy. Are you kidding me? In a 5 game span he had 7 catches over 20+ yards, with 4 of them being over 30+ yards.

This guy could get deep and threaten the middle of the field. It opened things up and it showed the Miller/James crowd what a threat at TE is supposed to look like. You can say Green was the worst signing ever, but that is just flat out wrong. Those 5 games showed exactly why the Steelers were willing to take the gamble on Green. Ben in combination with a vertical threat at TE makes this offense truly deadly, those 5 games illustrated what was possible, gave us a taste, and it is also the reason why they went after Vance McDonald.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 am 

I'm over the green thing. Steelers got played. Two things irked me. One was they seemed to be hanging into the belief green would do something. This was partly or mainly about not admitting their mistake. Second thing was not attempting to fill that TE role.

But Vance McDonald is here now and I'm a happy fucking camper. Looking big forward to seeing him in action.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 am 

it's still yggy wrote:
I'm over the green thing. Steelers got played. Two things irked me. One was they seemed to be hanging into the belief green would do something. This was partly or mainly about not admitting their mistake. Second thing was not attempting to fill that TE role.

But Vance McDonald is here now and I'm a happy fucking camper. Looking big forward to seeing him in action.
Yeah, me too. But I'm still with steelafan77. I think it was a reach. Whether it was financially imprudent is another matter, but the risk was on high - and it played out that way. Not sure it was worth the short playing time, regardless of the length of his pass catches. J James was far more impactful, and played in the playoffs at a high level at a fraction of the cost.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 pm 

I'm sorry folks. I thought that was what discussion forums were created to provide. A place to post comments. Whether they're reactionary or factual does it really matter? There I go thinking again. I see I've ruffled some feathers by doing so. My bad. Anyway, back to the present. I'm hopeful these Steelers will break the Chicago drought. Love it if Watt and Gilbert were playing. Two of the better players the Steelers have on the roster. Tuitt being questionable I think it prudent holding him out one more week. We'll see what the final verdict is Sunday.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:20 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I'm sorry folks. I thought that was what discussion forums were created to provide. A place to post comments. Whether they're reactionary or factual does it really matter? There I go thinking again. I see I've ruffled some feathers by doing so. My bad. Anyway, back to the present. I'm hopeful these Steelers will break the Chicago drought. Love it if Watt and Gilbert were playing. Two of the better players the Steelers have on the roster. Tuitt being questionable I think it prudent holding him out one more week. We'll see what the final verdict is Sunday.

You post something that was largely disagreed with and dispelled, you defend it, then you apologize for it and defend the posting by confirming that message boards are for discussions, then apologize again for doing exactly what you defended the sentence before. Weird.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next