It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steeler bar in Prague?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:31 am 

That's great. Sometime after traveling europe for a week you just need some American fare. I found a random bar in Lithuania and they had wings. Weren't half bad!

I agree on Belgium. Brussels isn't much to write home about. The other cities are excellent. Man now i'm getting the itch.

Speaking of headaches. I drank a ton of beer and wine over here and never really got headaches. I drink 4 craft beers here and I seem to start to get one. I"ve been told they lack the conservatives that the US brewed beers and wines have. I don't know if that's true or not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:42 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
If you find one please post. I plan on taking a trip there in the near future...would be cool to catch a Steelers game.

I'm jealous man. #1 place on my travel list.

We started in Belgium and did brewery tours at Delirium in Melle and then Het Anker in Mechelem (my favorite brewery in the world, and I've tried beers from many). Both tours were fantastic. Delirium basically gave us unrestricted access to the point where I was jumping out of the way of forklifts in the distribution section. I could have reached out and grabbed bottles as they were being labeled in the bottling section.

The Het Anker tour didn't give us quite as much access, mostly because the bottling and post-brewing process is done elsewhere. But they got much more in depth on the science and brewing techniques.

If you love beer, Belgium is another must-see. Every bar has some of the best beers in the world on top for the same price you'd pay for a Miller Lite at a downtown bar. It's insane, and my heaven.

Only other comment is that although we flew into Brussels, we didn't really spend any time there. What we did pass through looked kind of sketchy, although I'm sure they have nicer tourists areas. But I'd recommend the smaller towns like Gent and Antwerp, where we stayed.

Now we're in Prague for 4 days, which is also awesome. Easily walkable to just about anything, lots to see, friendly people, good food, and everything is dirt cheap.

Last leg of the trip will 4 days in Munich for Oktoberfest :)

Sounds like you're having a great time! I appreciate that info.

A little background is that I have dual citizenship (Here and the Netherlands because of my mom). So most of the time when I visit Europe it's more to visit my family in Holland. I did have a chance last time to go to Antwerp via Train 3 years ago(I love the Euro transportation system. So efficient.) After reading your post I think I'd like to venture out more in Belgium to see some of these breweries.

If you get a chance after your trip, I'd be curious to hear about what you thought of Prague and some ideas of things to do. It's hard to get extended time off of work these days, so I've kind of pussy footed around with my desire to visit there. But I'm targeting this upcoming summer.

Enjoy your trip brother! Recruit us some new fans while you're at that place.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:45 am 

R S wrote:
That's great. Sometime after traveling europe for a week you just need some American fare. I found a random bar in Lithuania and they had wings. Weren't half bad!

I agree on Belgium. Brussels isn't much to write home about. The other cities are excellent. Man now i'm getting the itch.

Speaking of headaches. I drank a ton of beer and wine over here and never really got headaches. I drink 4 craft beers here and I seem to start to get one. I"ve been told they lack the conservatives that the US brewed beers and wines have. I don't know if that's true or not.

I hear the same thing...it's the preservatives. I've also noticed that everywhere I went in Holland the beer tasted as if it was brewed 30 minutes before I arrived. I did a study abroad in German wine country and drank so much wine....no headache. And it just tasted really, really good and smooth.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:47 am 

Great city... I'll second others good luck and please post if you find mecca.... And throw a Staropramen back for me!