It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Week 2 bitches and gripes
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:13 pm 

The biggest question I have after two weeks is this.... Has LeVeon Bell lost what made him special? Nearly 40 touches and not once have we seen that explosive jump cut, the quick change of direction, the pause behind the line with the quick acceleration and burst through it. Let's not forget he is coming off of surgery. In previous years we've seen multiple plays per game that elicited a WOW. So far, not once has he displayed what makes him so special. Let's hope it's just rust, but color me concerned.

And for all of the hype about this being "the most talented offense in the NFL" how the hell do you not got for it on 4th and 2 from the 30? They felt it was too far for a FG, and chose to twice to try to draw an offsides call, then punted. That Vikings offense wasn't going anywhere, you're up 11. Why not go for it and put the step on their throats score on the board? Worst case is you fail and they are backed to their own 30 down by 11. Was the punt and extra 20 yards necessary?

Todd Haley called a run to the right side of the line on about 60% of the first down snaps in this game. I don't want to bitch about the OC, but he just begs for it with his play calling. How about the play action pass on 3rd and goal from the 8. No play action on first down when they expect run, but in a passing situation, let's go play action. It's maddening.

Ben moved to 7th on the All Time QB wins list today. That's part of the good. He avoided the turnover and any major injury scare, finished up with a pretty efficient day. The bad is he has to stop forcing the ball to Antonio Brown. I understand the connection and the lure to throw to somebody that talented, but some weeks you just need to tip the cap to the other guy and move on to secondary targets. Xavier Rhodes is a Top 5 CB in the NFL. Waynes and Newman are shaky. Attacking those guys with Rogers and Bryant was the smarter play, but Ben had to force Brown his touches. He still too often passes up a wide open underneath receiver for the chance at a deep ball as well. Ben is gonna Ben I suppose.

Enough with the penalties already. The Steelers broke a team record for most penalties in their first two games this season. the crew today called everything both ways. Slows the game down and makes it hard to watch. Steelers are a veteran team, penalti s need to slow way down.

The Steelers travel to Chicago this week where they are 1-11 all time. This team has laid week 3 or 4 stinkers in recent years to Philly, Tampa, and others. The Bears are averaging 12 points per game and are devoid of talent. If the game plan isn't to go in there and blow that team out by 20 the coaches deserve the upset loss they get. Be aggressive, even on the road. Scheme to score a lot and attack aggressively on both sides of the ball. Don't let a shitty team hang around and have hope.

Post subject: Re: Week 2 bitches and gripes
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:19 pm 

SP wrote:
The biggest question I have after two weeks is this.... Has LeVeon Bell lost what made him special? Nearly 40 touches and not once have we seen that explosive jump cut, the quick change of direction, the pause behind the line with the quick acceleration and burst through it. Let's not forget he is coming off of surgery.

I saw a couple of flashes of the old Bell, and some decent runs on the rare occasions the OL opened a hole.

Have people already forgotten what he did the first two playoff games last year? I don't believe he had surgery for his groin this past offseason. And how has he "lost it" from an injury he already came back from to have a record setting year last year?

It's not a done deal or certainty that he won't have a long, productive career. But even in the former case it usually takes about 6 years for a RB to start sliding.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:22 pm 

The mental/pre-snap penalties needs to stop yesterday.

And a delay of game because your group celebration took too long? That's as unacceptable as it is comical.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:32 pm 

The record against Chicago means shit. But the steelers recent road record means more.

Agree with most of your post. Bell is still a top back, but not as good as he or some think. I also think his off season shenanigans spoke to his team mates, and not in a good way. That's reflected in both his stats and the offensive play/game planning.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:36 pm 

Kodiak wrote:

And a delay of game because your group celebration took too long? That's as unacceptable as it is comical.

As unacceptable and comical as it was, it saved us from the Tomlin dumbfuckery of going for two.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:42 pm 

I believe the Bears are going to go with Trubisky this week, after the horrific performance Glennon put up today.

Trubisky could very well give them one helluva spark. That kid looked FANTASTIC during the preseason.

We better go to Chicago expecting a war.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:44 pm 

KC wrote:
shouldn't that be the approach every week?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:46 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
KC wrote:
shouldn't that be the approach every week?

Sure, but the Glennon-led version of the Bears is a joke.

I don't believe the Trubisky-led Bears will be anywhere near as terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:54 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

As unacceptable and comical as it was, it saved us from the Tomlin dumbfuckery of going for two.

:lol: Exactly what I thought when it happened.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 pm 

KC wrote:
I believe the Bears are going to go with Trubisky this week, after the horrific performance Glennon put up today.

Trubisky could very well give them one helluva spark. That kid looked FANTASTIC during the preseason.

I'm worrying about that as well and hoping the Bears make the move later in the season, like week four please.
Chicago blows and we are on the road=recipe for a close one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next