It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steelers Bears 1995- last time Steelers won at Soldier Field
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:48 pm 

For your early viewing pleasure to get ready for next week- classic game...37-34 OT thriller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfdwf6XtMJk

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

Post subject: Re: Steelers Bears 1995- last time Steelers won at Soldier F
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:03 pm 

A few things.

Forgot Dave Wannstedt- the guy that could out-Cowher Cowher for dumbfuckery- was coach of the Bears.

Ernie Mills made so many clutch catches that season...including in the AFCCG. He blew out his ACL in the Super Bowl...that was why Corey Holliday was on the field and ran the wrong hot route on O'Donnell's second and most crucial INT. Was a huge loss.

Steelers only had a chance to tie the game late because Keith Butler missed his first kick...FG or XP...of the season late in the game, when the Bears could have gone up by 10.

Bill Cowher was actually a clock management god this game. He pretended to go for two when the Steelers scored the TD to make it 34-33 so the Bears would burn one of their two timeouts. Turned out it didn't matter because Kramer was picked on his first pass thrown after the kickoff, but I bet all the money in my pockets that Mike Tomlin would never have thought to do that.

All in all just such a great game. The route combos on the five wide, especially with Slash in there, were things of beauty.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:08 pm 

...was an awesome game, Jeems....remember it well. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:12 pm 

I remember it too, such a fun game to watch. Didn't Lloyd have a pick 6?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:35 am 

I was there. I was a married, brokeass student who ponied up $240 for a good seat (Bears were doing well under Wanny...nothing was cheap). Couldn't afford a fucking beer so just sat there sober watching us lose.

But we hit the shit out of them. The comeback wasn't about skill or coaching. It's like the players went berserk in the 4th. They hit and hit and the Bears plain fucking QUIT....they TAPPED OUT. It was Cowher Power at its finest. Lake, Seals, and Kirk had some tackles that just rung through the stadium. The Bears fans sitting around me were like WTF...this is some old school shit.

My last game was 2009. That shitbird sucked.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:28 am 

I should rename this thread "The ONLY time the Steelers won at Soldier Field".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:02 pm 

One memory that stood out for me this game was when Greg Lloyd went to watch the winning FG with O'Donnell at the end of the field. It was the only time I saw Lloyd actually bond with a QB at any point in his career. This was a special win for me, being my dad was a huge Bears fan and we watched this one together.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:06 pm 

Our current offense is basically a combo what each of these teams was doing... in 1995. I recognized every play, motion, route combo. Both teams threw more skinny post and dig routes, though-- despite there being far less protection for receivers. Our defense is eerily similar now to what we were doing then.

Anyway, also of note: that was one of the Steelers' defenses remembered in lore, despite losing Woodson. Truth is, they were not a whole lot different than the current D. The same holes and issues in coverage, the same missed tackles, the same level of effectiveness rushing the passer against a QB who gets it out quickly.

Truthfully, other than the fact that it was odd to see a Bears team that wasn't awful and shoulder pads that are bulkier, this game could have been any Steelers game of the past 20 years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:29 pm 

That game was COLD AS FUCK. The wind in old Soldier Field was no joke.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:33 pm 

ChicagoSteel wrote:
I was there. I was a married, brokeass student who ponied up $240 for a good seat (Bears were doing well under Wanny...nothing was cheap). Couldn't afford a fucking beer so just sat there sober watching us lose.

But we hit the shit out of them. The comeback wasn't about skill or coaching. It's like the players went berserk in the 4th. They hit and hit and the Bears plain fucking QUIT....they TAPPED OUT. It was Cowher Power at its finest. Lake, Seals, and Kirk had some tackles that just rung through the stadium. The Bears fans sitting around me were like WTF...this is some old school shit.

My last game was 2009. That shitbird sucked.

That '09 game...man, fuck Jeff Reed.