It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steelers defense could be best in AFC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:21 pm 

tunch wrote:
Lol.

Two ways to beat Brady:

1. Jam, hold, trip, beat up, or otherwise interfere with his receivers

and/or

2. Hit him

Everyone knows this.

We did neither.

Unless Cam, Tuitt, and Watt turn into absolute monsters that shred double-teams, we're going to do neither again.

KC played a cover 1 rushed 4 and had discipline to handle the crossing routes. Take away the crosser is what flusters Brady.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:23 pm 

jebrick wrote:

KC played a cover 1 rushed 4 and had discipline to handle the crossing routes. Take away the crosser is what flusters Brady.

Exactly. That's brady's safety blanket when the rush is collapsing the pocket. God forbid brady's OLine allow pressure up the middle. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:33 pm 

jebrick wrote:

Funny - forcing Brady to throw outside is where he can struggle. And our offense LOVES to throw outside.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:34 pm 

Yeah, a 16 game season is a long, long season and many things can happen, but the best thing is that your players can develop very rapidly during that stretch.

Last season we watched Burns, Davis, Hargrave and even LT Walton all grow tremendously throughout the season.

This season you have a lot of new faces, some old faces in new starting roles. TJ Watt, Joe Haden, Tyson Alualu, Mike Hilton, JJ Wilcox. Vince Williams finally given a starting role at ILB.

We are two games into the season and Haden and Alualu look like fantastic free agent additions. Watt is the real deal. Hilton does look like a Chris Oldham clone.

What this defense may look like at the end of the season, heading into the playoffs, could be a terrifying thing for opposing defenses. Another 14 games for all of these new faces to work on their game? To gel as a defense? They could be the best defense in the NFL, not just the AFC.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:47 pm 

I'm a believer. And it has nothing to do with fucking smoke and mirrors. The more pressure you can consistently get with four OT even fewer players the better you'll be.

It's going to be good to have a healthy overall D. They've assembled the right players. But to me the key twist goes back to Haden. Glad king calls that out.

Roughly half the secondary has been a sieve. To some exten you can cover that but qbs and receivers are just too damn good these days. They're going to find the weaknesses.

Haden gives a legitimacy to that side of the field. King is right, everyone can do their jobs better. Allows the rush to not worry about covering shit, allows the LB to not worry, naturally big wins in the backfield. Reverberations through the whole D.

Spare me the fancy shit and just play smart and play tight. They can get into the top 5 I have no doubts whatsoever

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 pm 

So Tomlin didn't have the personnel to run the defense that's been shown to be effective vs the Pats.

Got it.

However, one could easily argue he also didn't have the personel to run the defense he decided to go with. Results prove that.

So why deploy a scheme that's never shown to be effective? Our D got lit up all day. Receivers where wide open everywhere and Brady didn't even need to bother putting pads on.

If you don't even try to get after the QB you won't. Simple as that.

Further, if you are goin to go down, go down swinging. Playing that lame as scheme they chose was pathetic and embarrassing. Obvious to everyone it has zero chance to succeeed.

I agree our personnel wasn't great. But it wasn't great to run the passive shit they decided to run.

Tomlin is also largely responsible for said personel. Former DC and DB coach yet year after year drafts DB that don't make the team or do and don't make an impact.

He's more part of the problem than he is a victim of circumstance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm 

Ravens and Broncos are clearly the best. Coupled with their schedule, I expect the Ravens to finish with the #1 D in football and at least 10 wins.

As long as we keep playing against rookie/shitty quarterbacks we'll be fine though. I mean, we've got a pretty good defense, but it's still a few players away from elite.

I will say Artie Burns has been great this year, and Watt is the real deal. Kid is evolving on the fly. Stud.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 pm 

At this moment, this defense is more intriguing than it has been in a long time, IMO

No way am I crowning it anything yet, but I sure am looking forward to seeing more.

Got me thinking of the possibility of having more of a complete team this season than I thought we could have before the addition of Haden, Wilcox, the emergence of Hilton, and the Watt rookie splash.

Enter Dupree. Fingers crossed on him. His ceiling might be at OLB what Timmons was at ILB... a good player for us, not great, but they can't all be stars. Both great athletes but don't have natural instincts. It has a chance to work with Dupree even with the warts if he continues to get pressure.

The DL with all that talent hasn't peaked as a group yet. Can't wait to see more.

Between the continued improvement of Burns and the addition of Haden, we could end up with some real CB swagger. Wow, wouldn't that be something. And add the physicality of Hilton to the mix.

I'm not crowning the Burns/Haden/Hilton trio either, but at least there is tangible reason for hope.

We just need the D to be able to put up a fight vs the high flying offenses.

OK, and to not turn no name qb's into a star for a day. So far so good on that one.

I need to see a lot more though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:53 pm 

Quote:
As long as we keep playing against rookie/shitty quarterbacks we'll be fine though.

Fine if the goal is to simply have a winning season and make the playoffs. Not fine if the goal is to win a Super Bowl. Which this team has said is the goal.

We will need to beat a Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Carr etc. to bring home another ring.

Baby shit soft defense paired with this thing we sometimes try to pass as offensive football won't cut it.

We do have the pieces now provided they grow over the course of the year and are deployed correctly when it matters.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:14 pm 

jebrick wrote:
tunch wrote:
Lol.

Two ways to beat Brady:

1. Jam, hold, trip, beat up, or otherwise interfere with his receivers

and/or

2. Hit him

Everyone knows this.

We did neither.

Unless Cam, Tuitt, and Watt turn into absolute monsters that shred double-teams, we're going to do neither again.

I remember them dropping 8 into coverage some. With effectiveness.

I agree, must disrupt the timing of their short passing game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next