It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steelers defense could be best in AFC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:30 pm 

TB wrote:
Ravens and Broncos are clearly the best. Coupled with their schedule, I expect the Ravens to finish with the #1 D in football and at least 10 wins.

As long as we keep playing against rookie/shitty quarterbacks we'll be fine though. I mean, we've got a pretty good defense, but it's still a few players away from elite.

I will say Artie Burns has been great this year, and Watt is the real deal. Kid is evolving on the fly. Stud.

U might be right but sure be interesting to see what Ravens can do when turnovers dry up. Browns didn't exactly struggle to move the ball v Ravens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:36 pm 

No way Steelers are the best D or can be anytime soon in NFL. Watt and Dupree have to stay healthy and play for long period with production. Haden has to prove he is over a groin injury. Davis has to get a ton better. Front 3 have to stay injury free. Shazier needs to start making some splash plays. Vince Williams needs to keep doing what he has. Burns same. Hilton same. Need Wilcox, Allen and Sutton to contribute as well. Chick, Deebo, Walton & TA need to be back ups who contribute when needed.

To many hurdles for best D moniker anytime in short term. Maybe a long shot for end of season. Much better chance next season with upgrade a safety and ILB going into season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 pm 

The talent is there. Couldn't say that in the recent past, granted. It's now on the coaches to put them in a position to win.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:51 am 

Havoc wrote:
jebrick wrote:
KC played a cover 1 rushed 4 and had discipline to handle the crossing routes. Take away the crosser is what flusters Brady.

I remember them dropping 8 into coverage some. With effectiveness.

I agree, must disrupt the timing of their short passing game.

They had a good breakdown of what KC did on NFL live. They played a robber but were able to change who was the robber on the fly. The switch allowed the pick-6.

Part of it was Brady not recognizing it and throwing to the outside, which he did vs the Steelers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:31 am 

TB wrote:
Ravens and Broncos are clearly the best. Coupled with their schedule, I expect the Ravens to finish with the #1 D in football and at least 10 wins.

As long as we keep playing against rookie/shitty quarterbacks we'll be fine though. I mean, we've got a pretty good defense, but it's still a few players away from elite.

I will say Artie Burns has been great this year, and Watt is the real deal. Kid is evolving on the fly. Stud.

I can give you the Broncos, but the Ravens are living off turnovers that were not because of anything they've been doing so much as really horrendous QB play.

So, like the Steelers' D, the jury is out on them.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
This article brings plenty of optimism, and lulz:
https://www.si.com/nfl

"In 2015, Keith Butler, one of the NFL’s most aggressive and creative defensive coordinators, was hearing from his Steelers colleagues that he should push even harder. Install more of our designer blitzes and hybrid coverages, the assistant coaches said. We could have the most textured and complex defense in football."

Yes, long before the debacle against NE in the AFCC. That NE comment was very interesting - they showed a few looks pre-snap, but then dropped into vanilla zone schemes. WTF?!?

Because he didn't have the players that could do it, that's why.

bullshit, Who did NE have playin receiver? It wasn't Randy fucking Moss. I hate that excuse. They had the players to at least go out swinging. Instead of getting knocked out with counter punches, they just cowered in the corner and got their teeth knocked down their throats.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 am 

jebrick wrote:
Havoc wrote:
jebrick wrote:
KC played a cover 1 rushed 4 and had discipline to handle the crossing routes. Take away the crosser is what flusters Brady.

I remember them dropping 8 into coverage some. With effectiveness.

I agree, must disrupt the timing of their short passing game.

They had a good breakdown of what KC did on NFL live. They played a robber but were able to change who was the robber on the fly. The switch allowed the pick-6.

Part of it was Brady not recognizing it and throwing to the outside, which he did vs the Steelers.

Nice. Would like to have seen the breakdown.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:48 am 

One thing you have to grant no matter your feeling in tomlin or butler is steelers tend to get better as season goes on. So the argument that they haven't faced real qb, I would counter with the D never plays their best ball in September.

The only concern to me is really health and not much you can do there. Front 7 look to be on the verge of their best season since the mid 00s. And now we have a secondary that at least is no worse than average and might prove a whole lot better.

Why I think they'll crack the top 10 easily.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:48 am 

I believe that the problem with people in America today is by and large day to day adversity has been largely taken out of the human existence. We all want things easy and simple and effective and the world just doesn't work like that. When you have a "villain" who is creating adversity- we could always report him for bullying us- or fix those parts that allow us to be a target and stand up to him. Go back and look at every loss in which Brady was frustrated and they all have the same formula. I believe that the Steelers now have the ingredients to make that formula.

And we can debate the timing of this, but at the end of the day, Steelers have made investments into correcting our weaknesses. In less than a half a year. After that first preseason game- the front office and coaching staff started making moves that we rarely see around here and they look promising. Now I want all the parts to play together. Tuitt in that front 7 makes it an above average, having Watt and Dupree playing correctly makes it elite. As far as the secondary the windows seem to be smaller for opposing QBs- here's hoping they get even tinier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:57 pm 

R S wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
This article brings plenty of optimism, and lulz:
https://www.si.com/nfl

"In 2015, Keith Butler, one of the NFL’s most aggressive and creative defensive coordinators, was hearing from his Steelers colleagues that he should push even harder. Install more of our designer blitzes and hybrid coverages, the assistant coaches said. We could have the most textured and complex defense in football."

Yes, long before the debacle against NE in the AFCC. That NE comment was very interesting - they showed a few looks pre-snap, but then dropped into vanilla zone schemes. WTF?!?

Because he didn't have the players that could do it, that's why.

bullshit, Who did NE have playin receiver? It wasn't Randy fucking Moss. I hate that excuse. They had the players to at least go out swinging. Instead of getting knocked out with counter punches, they just cowered in the corner and got their teeth knocked down their throats.

When I have seen teams beat NE in the playoffs it's been because they have had nasty pass rushers that kicked Brady's ass every time he went back to pass. Who were our nasty pass rushers in the AFCCG that could have done that? Tuitt is one. Heyward was injured. I trust Harrison in spots, but at 38, he wasn't the guy you want leading your pass rush. Dupree? Hargrave? I have hopes for them, but they weren't there last year.

So no, it's not bullshit. If you can't put Brady on his ass without blitzing, rushing only four, you ain't stopping him, and we didn't have the guys to do it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next