It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intertesting Article on the Decline of Quality NFL Play
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:00 pm 

https://www.si.com/2017/09/20/demaurice ... 17092111AM

While I don't agree with all of it, the article certainly raises some interesting points. This statement in particular jumped out at me

At the beginning of last season there were more undrafted free agents on NFL rosters (481) than first- and second-round picks combined (480), according to Elias.

I definitely agree that the way the current CBA limits practices has a huge impact on players knowing what they are supposed to do in any given situation. Also, injuries seem more prevalent now though it could simply feel that way because it's easier to remember the ones that just happened.

Post subject: Re: Intertesting Article on the Decline of Quality NFL Play
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:06 pm 

I disagree with this premise.

Elite offensive players have mostly sat out the preseason and need reps.

Defenses have adjusted to the offenses we've been seeing.

Elite athletes are being moved to defense in college and so we're seeing more freakish athletes on defense than offense.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:12 pm 

Thanks for posting Stillerz Bar. I think we've all observed the NFL sell out their product in the spirit of health and safety. We all know it's bullshit. The bottom line is money. We see them manipulate the game through their "rules" while continually changing those very rules enhancing their watered down product claiming it's in the spirit of health and safety. Bullshit! Their watered down product caters to the fantasy football leagues across the world first and foremost. Thursday nighter for example. I saw the refs steal a potential victory from the 9'ers last night in just as obvious way they can. To keep it entertaining by keeping it close. Will the 9'ers be able to overcome a phantom flag for OPI? Of course they didn't. Did it create a thrilling environment holding viewers interest? Absofukinglutely. All that said, I can't even stand the whiners. But I hate scripted contests even more than I hate the 9'ers. The way the officiating influences the outcome of games is egregious to say the least. JMO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:52 pm 

agree that the sport has become sloppier but disagree with the reasons
the NFL is emphasizing safety in conjunction with a push to create false offense and TV drama
the result is a game that stresses the big things and not the small things

I agree also with the above comment that the NFL has used the officiating as a tool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:15 pm 

If you like to wager and gamble and enjoy the drama productions each week..................That's Entertainment, and that is the current NFL, albeit declining in quality.