It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: FSBI (Fuck Steelers Best Interest!!)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:00 pm 

I find myself unusually sanguine over the latest loss of the Black & Gold to one of the dregs of the league. If not for the Penguins opening their quest for a Threepeat in 10 short days, I would be tempted to resume my Van Winkleian hibernation from sports. My lack of passion around this latest edition of the Pittsburgh Steelers is related to their season-ending loss in Foxboro last January. That game reinforced my long-held belief, on which I permitted myself to waiver for the AFCCG, that Mike Tomlin will never, ever ever beat Bill Belichick in a game of meaning. It didn't happen then; it sure as hell won't happen last year.

Today did evoke some emotion from me; it drew my ire with Mike Tomlin's decision to hide his face, and those of this charges, in the locker room during the national anthem. I'll give Coach T a bit of a benefit of the doubt on this one. Perhaps he really did believe this to be preferable than having some of his team kneel, some stand. I still believe that a strong admonition from management would have cured that bullshit. However, by keeping his team under wraps, the Steelers became more the story than any other team. Why?? Because, it is now irrefutable that only ONE Pittsburgh Steelers chose to stand for the national anthem today. If Villaneuva did so, so could any of his teammates. But they chose not to. So...maybe this misguided decision by Coach Tomlin was well-intended. If so, then Tomlin remains what we know he is...and that is one SHITTY football coach.

I found myself rooting for the Bears at the outset of today's game, and said so, on this esteemed website's Gameday thread. After all, by my observation, there was nary a Bear sitting of kneeling for the national anthem. They all stood. That said, 50+ years of fandom can't be nullified forever. By the 3rd quarter, I was rooting for the Steelers again.

Big play that not many may be talking about was Leveon Bell's dropped pass on 1st down after the Steelers interception on the Bears 20. Instead of facing a 2nd & short, it was 2nd & 10, the Steelers failed to convert on 3rd down and had to settle for a tying field goal rather than the go-ahead touchdown after being handed outstanding field position. I then had a VERY bad feeling when the Steelers were not able to cover a fumble nor hold onto an interception on consecutive plays late. Turnover there and Steelers are in very good position to gain a few yards, kick the game-winner.

My final reason for FSBI? Penguins open their quest for a threepeat in 10 days. As opposed to the dolt Mike Tomlin, who never makes the right moves, Mike Sullivan of the Penguins makes ALL the right moves. That guy is golden; everything move he makes, everything he tries....works!!!

So no, not real upset about the Steelers. I'm not one for usually playing the Deserve card, as in Steelers did not Deserve to win. But, the pre-game hideaway in the locker room had me playing the D-card, in opposition to SBI. Add in, zero confidence in facing New England and Penguins season the cusp...and I'm okay tonight.

Oh...Happy Birthday, Barney Rubble!! Too bad there's no celebration in order.

Post subject: Re: FSBI (Fuck Steelers Best Interest!!)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:02 pm 

Tomlin didn't hide his face. He was on the sidelines for the anthem.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:05 pm 

SP wrote:

True Perch....stand corrected. Tomlin distributed masks to his players, with the exception of #78.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:06 pm 

SP wrote:

This bears re-quoting. Tomlin, Haley and two other coaches stood on the sidelines for the anthem as usual. His boys, aside from the Ranger, were in the tunnel and that their decision.

That's the point. They are not slaves. They have a say.

Otherwise, only agree with some of Swiss's rant but fully understand and relate from whence the pain and disgust springs.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:10 pm 

i get it.. He's a decorated soldier and not being seen respecting the flag was undesirable/impossible for him...but in the end it threw his teammates under the bus as they were supposed to show solidarity as a team by not kneeling OR standing and sitting the whole thing out. by going on his own he made it look like all the other steelers were protesting anthem which was not the case at all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:15 pm 

sinceiwas4 wrote:
i get it.. He's a decorated soldier and not being seen respecting the flag was undesirable/impossible for him...but in the end it threw his teammates under the bus as they were supposed to show solidarity as a team by not kneeling OR standing and sitting the whole thing out. by going on his own he made it look like all the other steelers were protesting anthem which was not the case at all.

Of course, his teammates could have done as they've done previously, and make the support of #78 a priority and stand WITH him....everyone!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:17 pm 

The whole thing was dumb and a confused mess like a typical Tomlin game plan. If you want to be unified and stay in the locker room like you said then do it. Don't send coaches and one player out.
If you decide to be unified, then keep everyone in the damn tunnel or locker room.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:19 pm 

SP wrote:
The whole thing was dumb and a confused mess like a typical Tomlin game plan. If you want to be unified and stay in the locker room like you said then do it. Don't send coaches and one player out.
If you decide to be unified, then keep everyone in the damn tunnel or locker room.

As much as I hated the concept of not standing for the anthem....you're right about the bad look of just a few miscreants absconding from the locker room.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:25 pm 

...and thats what i would have preferred to see them do, myself.
the decision was made however, reportedly by whole team, that the only thing they could all agree on was to stay out of the whole drama by remaining, as a team, in private out of the cameras reach. but because of Villy going against that plan despite as much as i appreciate him doing so, it made it look like Steelers were protesting and he couldn't let himself be a part of it. and i think we all know that was not the case.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:26 pm 

SP wrote:

Yep. This just isn't material to me, however I agree that it looks like exceptionally poor planning. EVERYONE knows V was an army ranger, and everyone knows he's going to honor that flag and tell you so if you ask him. So let them come out and stand/sit as they choose, like every other team. You made the absolute worst decision you could - a microcosm of Tomlin making really bad gut decisions that buck the trend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next