It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leveon Bell is a real problem for the offense
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:17 pm 

I can't figure out what is going on. How could he lose a step at this age when he didn't even have major surgery this off-season?

My eyes though are telling me the truth. We keep feeding him the ball and there is no acceleration after his hesitation. He used to dance at the line and then BOOM explode through it. Now he's dancing and not exploding. I get the run blocking hasn't been great, but he clearly is not playing full speed.

He used to be a mismatch out of the backfield on passing downs. Now, the other teams aren't scared of him and he's not able to threaten them anymore. LBs cover him with ease.

We need more speed coming out of the backfield right now. This plodding run game is killing drives. Want to know why 3rd down conversion sucks so badly? Because our run game is wasting so many downs.

The worst part is...I don't know how to fix this other than getting Connor more touches and hoping he can do better. I know I know...many of you think he sucks. But, Bell is leaving a lot of yards on the field and it is the difference between a lot of drives stalling and not.

Post subject: Re: Leveon Bell is a real problem for the offense
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:12 am 

franco32 wrote:
I can't figure out what is going on. How could he lose a step at this age when he didn't even have major surgery this off-season?

My eyes though are telling me the truth. We keep feeding him the ball and there is no acceleration after his hesitation. He used to dance at the line and then BOOM explode through it. Now he's dancing and not exploding.

Hate to say it, but the simple/most obvious explanation is he's going 80% trying to avoid injury. And it's costing him MILLIONS right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:40 am 

Rb moves up in the next draft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:55 am 

That down and in route he ran early 4th quarter. Ben hit him right in the hands with that pass and he dropped it. Time for a couple of new rbs next year. Look what it did for the Bears.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:42 am 

The fact that this offense is often stale and unimaginative combined with poor execution certainly doesn't help. Bell is a surprise but then again so is the struggling OLine. I give the OLine the benefit of the doubt yesterday being down 2 starters. That said, the OLine really hasn't been on the money even in the 1st and 2nd games either. The offense has a long ways to go. Ben throwing wildly inaccurate in addition to receivers dropping passes also plays into the offense's struggles. AB has been the only constant.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:57 am 

Kodiak wrote:
franco32 wrote:

My eyes though are telling me the truth. We keep feeding him the ball and there is no acceleration after his hesitation. He used to dance at the line and then BOOM explode through it. Now he's dancing and not exploding.

Hate to say it, but the simple/most obvious explanation is he's going 80% trying to avoid injury. And it's costing him MILLIONS right now.

This is where I'm at. It's the only explanation. It doesn't take a running back 1 month to get back into game speed. Tomlinson never played in preseason, and it didn't seem to affect his play.

On one hand I'm saying "phew, no $60M commitment". On the other, if there was a contract he's probably playing better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:18 am 

Kodiak wrote:
franco32 wrote:

I'm not sure I believe that but it's possible. I try to think the best of people.

I think it's his groin- those can be tricky things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 am 

Miter Saw wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
franco32 wrote:

This is where I'm at. It's the only explanation. It doesn't take a running back 1 month to get back into game speed. Tomlinson never played in preseason, and it didn't seem to affect his play.

On one hand I'm saying "phew, no $60M commitment". On the other, if there was a contract he's probably playing better.

But LT was in camp just not getting reps in preseason games you can work on timing and cuts and rhythm during practice also things like catching the ball from your QB where to make breaks in your pass routes etc. Bell showing up the first week of Sept. did nothing to help this team out. AB barely plays in preseason games and yet his is on pace for what he does he is running routes getting open and performing just like Tomlinson used to but those guys went through practices and meetings.

Any adjustments they wanted to make during the preseason or did make in the preseason from last year are now being learned by Bell and he is 5 or 6 weeks behind the other players in mental reps and preparation. That is on him. There is an old adage in football when you don't have to think about what you are doing that you will play faster.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:05 am 

I don't see how you can watch Bell play and not think he is avoiding injury. He is not finishing runs the way he did last year. He doesn't keep his legs moving, which of course reduces injury risk. I don't blame him for looking out for himself (he should have signed what we offered), but on the other hand, I don't think we lose much with Conner in there when Bell's only at this level.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 am 

He sure as hell doesn't look the same. No explosion in my opinion.