It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Calm Down Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:39 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Quote:
If it's a failed pass on first down, the next play is almost always a running play.

This is just maddening, but it pre-dates Haley and Tomlin. This was a staple of the Cowher offense, and maybe all the way back to Noll. It's obviously an organizational philosophy, and I'm sure they have a "rational" explanation for it. I can't for the life of me figure out what that explanation could be...

Speaking of it being "madden"-ing, I was watching a game one time that John Madden was doing, and I remember him saying "it seems like when you have an incompletion on first down, you feel you have to run it on second down", so apparently it's common.

I'm sure the rationale is to run the ball, pick up a few yards, and have a more manageable third down.

It's a holdover from the era of the NFL where converting 3rd and 10 was a longshot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:39 pm 

Lawrence Timmons is reinstated and playing for the Dolphins Sunday. Aside from having a kid in PA, he misses the Steelers probably.

http://www.espn.com/blog/afceast/post/_ ... each-other

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:21 am 

The way this team loses to bad team and people wonder why they never get home field come playoffs time

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:43 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
The way this team loses to bad team and people wonder why they never get home field come playoffs time

How do we know Chicago is a bad team? Especially playing at home?

We're the #2 seed if the playoffs started now, and we play #1, #3, & #4 along the way, plus 2x vs #5.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:01 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

We're the #2 seed if the playoffs started now, and we play #1, #3, & #4 along the way, plus 2x vs #5.

Yeah true! I know I thought that this Bears team was the 2nd coming of the '85 team. Solid all the way around. At least that's how Tomlin & Co made them look. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:02 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

Dude, take off your rose colored glasses

#2 seed 3 weeks in means jack squat

We just got embarassed by a one dimensional offense

Losses like this past one usually come back to bite you in the ass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

This bears team had the super bowl falcons on the ropes in week 1 and should have won that game

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:16 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

B2B...we lost to a team who were going to do everything possible to NOT throw a pass.

It was a bad loss to a mediocre team AT THE TIME IT HAPPENED.

For the same reasons we've lost to mediocre teams in the past.

Sloppy play. No discipline. No creativity. No focus.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:18 pm 

steel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

This bears team had the super bowl falcons on the ropes in week 1 and should have won that game

The Falcons aren't exactly looking like world-beaters themselves right now, you know.

They should have lost to Detroit on Sunday as well.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:35 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

Dude, take off your rose colored glasses

#2 seed 3 weeks in means jack squat

We just got embarassed by a one dimensional offense

Losses like this past one usually come back to bite you in the ass

Take off your overreaction glasses-- I never said the Steelers shouldn't have beaten them or that 3 weeks of the NFL season means squat. We got embarrassed in run D, but we also have played far better than expected so far on D. We were also missing Watt & Tuitt and relying on guys to do stuff they're not very good at.

My point is: this overreaction on an early season loss, when the margin between teams is historically small... is predictable but out of proportion. That's especially true for historically good teams in the nfl, who generally get better as the saeson goes on and they establish how they're going to win with that particular team.

Have you seen the Patriots so far this year? Oakland? The Packers? Atlanta? None of the best teams played very well in week 3. Even KC had its struggles on Sunday, and they came out of the gates hot.

Talk to me in a month and let's re-visit this loss.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next