It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Run defense, WTF?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:07 pm 

People aren't talking much about what is probably the most shocking part of the game for me, the (lack of) run defense. Neither Cleveland nor Minnesota ran the ball that well against us. How the hell do we allow such huge holes? And the RB runs through and there's no one to meet him? WT serious F? Can anyone account for this? If we could just muster mediocre run defense today we win.

Post subject: Re: Run defense, WTF?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 pm 

Always.
Always the most demoralizing part of any loss is getting run on at will.
They rebounded. And tightened up in second half and fourth quarter.
But all fell apart in OT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:02 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
People aren't talking much about what is probably the most shocking part of the game for me, the (lack of) run defense. Neither Cleveland nor Minnesota ran the ball that well against us. How the hell do we allow such huge holes? And the RB runs through and there's no one to meet him? WT serious F? Can anyone account for this? If we could just muster mediocre run defense today we win.

This game was built for a James Harrison and you also the effect that no Tuitt has on this D. Although things tightened up in the second half some, the 1st half and then OT showed that some stupidity knows no bounds.

They ran the stretch zone run and because of no discipline, lack of setting the edge and overall coaching ineptitude the Steelers looked like they had never seen it before.

Cutback lanes were the norm and every 3rd down the Steelers played passed like they were defending the 'greatest show on turf" while Glennon checked them down to death.

This is stupid football and they all, especially the coaches, should be ashamed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:47 am 

Over pursuit on a consistent basis, despite being gashed by cutbacks, shows an undisciplined team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:50 am 

The way the announcers kept talking about Mitchell, it certainly seemed like PIT focused on and keyed on those RB's all week.

I'm not sure what we were doing on offense, at all, but we definitely WERE NOT calling plays to protect the defense or keep them fresh. And it would have been fine, for 4 quarters....or if you had put up the points you're supposed to.

Despite the fact the OT effort was beyond pathetic, I refuse to point a finger at the defense for this. Bottom line is they gave up 14 points in regulation and got 2 or 3 turnovers. That is 100% a winning defensive effort.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:06 am 

Kodiak wrote:
The way the announcers kept talking about Mitchell, it certainly seemed like PIT focused on and keyed on those RB's all week.

I'm not sure what we were doing on offense, at all, but we definitely WERE NOT calling plays to protect the defense or keep them fresh. And it would have been fine, for 4 quarters....or if you had put up the points you're supposed to.

Despite the fact the OT effort was beyond pathetic, I refuse to point a finger at the defense for this. Bottom line is they gave up 14 points in regulation and got 2 or 3 turnovers. That is 100% a winning defensive effort.

They got one turnover, and let two others slip right through their fingers...either one of which sets us up for the winning points in regulation.

Plus the Bears made a ton of boneheaded mistakes on their own end when they could have made the score worse.

Finally, the defense gave up over 200 yards on the ground on a day Glennon deliberately wouldn't pass the ball. They get no kudos from me for "keeping the score down" when they literally only had to do one thing...stop the run...and they couldn't do it.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 am 

We tip our hats to the run blocking of the Chicago Bears oline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:21 am 

Watt>Chickillio>Dupree. Matakevich>Williams. I know how this post looks, but it's the truth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:24 am 

The efforts to stop the run was there guys just didn't wrap up. I've never seen a more pathetic undisciplined defense on the field for the Steelers till yesterday. Infuriating to watch. Missed tackles wasn't just the cause though. Running themselves out of tackling position reared it's ugly head as well. Then they had guys dropping assignments like they were just lost. This team's focus was not on the Bears yesterday. Their heads were not in the game and it showed. I'm not even sure putting Deebo in the game would have helped. Bears running game made fools out of that defense yesterday at an embarrassing level. Guys were just off it seemed. Not going to sit here and direct blame cause that solves nothing. Learn from your errors and Fix it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:26 am 

Lynch wrote:
Watt>Chickillio>Dupree. Matakevich>Williams. I know how this post looks, but it's the truth.

It looks ok to me

At least the first part

No buying Big Red over VW

Not yet anyway