It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Run defense, WTF?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:36 am 

Matakevich dropped his coverage yesterday and cost them a wide open TE TD. Matakevich is not ready for ILB duties.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:48 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Matakevich dropped his coverage yesterday and cost them a wide open TE TD. Matakevich is not ready for ILB duties.

Yep. To the TE who was wide the fuck open.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 am 

Zebras were permitting blatant holding. See for example the big run in overtime. Haden was in poisition to tackle for no gain. Gets taken down from behind right before the tackle. Amazingly no call.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:56 am 

Lynch wrote:
Watt>Chickillio>Dupree. Matakevich>Williams. I know how this post looks, but it's the truth.

Chickillo was getting his ass kicked in the run game from what I saw, regularly. He has gotten a lot of DONG sacks, but his game is not up to snuff. If James Harrison is healthy, I have NO fucking idea why he wasn't inserted in this game to help stop the run. Did he get a helmet?

Shazier, despite getting blown regularly misses as many or more tackles than he makes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:59 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
Zebras were permitting blatant holding. See for example the big run in overtime. Haden was in poisition to tackle for no gain. Gets taken down from behind right before the tackle. Amazingly no call.

No offense, but this is loser talk. On the most crucial play before regulation on 3rd and whatever, Shazier flies in with his shoulder and bounces off the running back instead of wrapping up, allowing him to get an extra yard or two and ALMOST collect a first down that probably would have won the game.

This was the M.O for the defense all day. Bounce off and give up an extra 5 yards. (except for overtime where they hardly touched the runner at all)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:03 am 

R S wrote:
Lynch wrote:
Watt>Chickillio>Dupree. Matakevich>Williams. I know how this post looks, but it's the truth.

Chickillo was getting his ass kicked in the run game from what I saw, regularly. He has gotten a lot of DONG sacks, but his game is not up to snuff. If James Harrison is healthy, I have NO fucking idea why he wasn't inserted in this game to help stop the run. Did he get a helmet?

Shazier, despite getting blown regularly misses as many or more tackles than he makes.

Agree on Chick.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:05 am 

R S wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:

No offense, but this is loser talk. On the most crucial play before regulation on 3rd and whatever, Shazier flies in with his shoulder and bounces off the running back instead of wrapping up, allowing him to get an extra yard or two and ALMOST collect a first down that probably would have won the game.

This was the M.O for the defense all day. Bounce off and give up an extra 5 yards. (except for overtime where they hardly touched the runner at all)

You can have a problem magnified-- Steelers had a problem magnified by bad refs. Tell me that wasn't a massive hold on Haden. If that's called, it's 1st and 20 and Steelers likely get the ball back with a good shot at winning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:06 am 

We missed Watt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
R S wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:

You can have a problem magnified-- Steelers had a problem magnified by bad refs. Tell me that wasn't a massive hold on Haden. If that's called, it's 1st and 20 and Steelers likely get the ball back with a good shot at winning.

Calls go both ways, and I saw the steelers benefit from just as many big calls as the Bears, so I'm not going down the road that the refs screwed us in any way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:35 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
The efforts to stop the run was there guys just didn't wrap up. I've never seen a more pathetic undisciplined defense on the field for the Steelers till yesterday. Infuriating to watch. Missed tackles wasn't just the cause though. Running themselves out of tackling position reared it's ugly head as well. Then they had guys dropping assignments like they were just lost. This team's focus was not on the Bears yesterday. Their heads were not in the game and it showed. I'm not even sure putting Deebo in the game would have helped. Bears running game made fools out of that defense yesterday at an embarrassing level. Guys were just off it seemed. Not going to sit here and direct blame cause that solves nothing. Learn from your errors and Fix it.

Hey- Tomlin said they're "owning the negativity that comes" with efforts such as yesterday.

I'm comforted already knowing the Big Guy is on it...he's got a track record of learning from these things.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"