It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Run defense, WTF?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:32 pm 

Stillcajun wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
People aren't talking much about what is probably the most shocking part of the game for me, the (lack of) run defense. Neither Cleveland nor Minnesota ran the ball that well against us. How the hell do we allow such huge holes? And the RB runs through and there's no one to meet him? WT serious F? Can anyone account for this? If we could just muster mediocre run defense today we win.

This game was built for a James Harrison and you also the effect that no Tuitt has on this D. Although things tightened up in the second half some, the 1st half and then OT showed that some stupidity knows no bounds.

They ran the stretch zone run and because of no discipline, lack of setting the edge and overall coaching ineptitude the Steelers looked like they had never seen it before.

Cutback lanes were the norm and every 3rd down the Steelers played passed like they were defending the 'greatest show on turf" while Glennon checked them down to death.

This is stupid football and they all, especially the coaches, should be ashamed

Quote:
Chickllio’s heavy usage resulted in veteran outside linebacker James Harrison only playing three defensive snaps in total and that brings his year-to-date total to seven.

“I could do that [set the edge] when I’m 60,” Harrison said, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/james-harrison-setting-edge-im-60/

another example of this staffs failure to make in game adjustments.
not to mention a good rotation for keeping guys fresh and strong.
not to mention playing on a hot day.

I get they are trying to replicate what they did with James last year.
But he needed to share time and snaps with Chick, once it became evident that the only way Chicago would move the ball would be on the ground.
Once they realized Glennon was not throwing the ball more than 10-12 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:51 pm 

If I'm reading that quote to Bouchette quote properly, Deebo just fired a shot across his coach's bow...

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:54 pm 

If you want to get mad at the run defense go look at how defense was aligned pre-snap and amount of times Butler dropped 8th man in box. It will truly make you shake your damn head. For example on Cohen's big (my draft crush btw) Haden was the 7th man in the box. Mitchell & Wilcox where in different zip codes covering...grass.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:45 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Matakevich dropped his coverage yesterday and cost them a wide open TE TD. Matakevich is not ready for ILB duties.

Well...he didn't actually drop into coverage, or the TE wouldn't have had time to wind his watch before making the TD catch. He bit hard on the play fake, like "what the fuck are you thinking" hard!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Matakevich dropped his coverage yesterday and cost them a wide open TE TD. Matakevich is not ready for ILB duties.

Well...he didn't actually drop into coverage, or the TE wouldn't have had time to wind his watch before making the TD catch. He bit hard on the play fake, like "what the fuck are you thinking" hard!

He bit on the play fake like "quit cutting either Steve Johnson or LJ Fort weekly and just cut me, already" hard.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:22 pm 

I said last year after the Miami debacle that if Chickillo and/or Matakevich are on the field for an extended period of time then our defense will likely be getting gashed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:17 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Stillcajun wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
People aren't talking much about what is probably the most shocking part of the game for me, the (lack of) run defense. Neither Cleveland nor Minnesota ran the ball that well against us. How the hell do we allow such huge holes? And the RB runs through and there's no one to meet him? WT serious F? Can anyone account for this? If we could just muster mediocre run defense today we win.

This game was built for a James Harrison and you also the effect that no Tuitt has on this D. Although things tightened up in the second half some, the 1st half and then OT showed that some stupidity knows no bounds.

They ran the stretch zone run and because of no discipline, lack of setting the edge and overall coaching ineptitude the Steelers looked like they had never seen it before.

Cutback lanes were the norm and every 3rd down the Steelers played passed like they were defending the 'greatest show on turf" while Glennon checked them down to death.

This is stupid football and they all, especially the coaches, should be ashamed

Quote:
Chickllio’s heavy usage resulted in veteran outside linebacker James Harrison only playing three defensive snaps in total and that brings his year-to-date total to seven.

“I could do that [set the edge] when I’m 60,” Harrison said, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09/james-harrison-setting-edge-im-60/

another example of this staffs failure to make in game adjustments.
not to mention a good rotation for keeping guys fresh and strong.
not to mention playing on a hot day.

I get they are trying to replicate what they did with James last year.
But he needed to share time and snaps with Chick, once it became evident that the only way Chicago would move the ball would be on the ground.
Once they realized Glennon was not throwing the ball more than 10-12 yards.

Fresh Deebo v. tired LT. I like our chances.