It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Martavis Sweed
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:29 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
Is it just me or is this guy not using his body and catch radius to his benefit?

It's not you.

That was a beast of a throw. Should have been a TD. Should have been a game changer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:50 am 

You know how bad it was yesterday?

The receiver that got the most separation was...Jesse James.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 am 

Jeemie wrote:

Outlaw is deceptively sneaky with his tippy toe gait

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 pm 

USS Steelerworks wrote:
I think Eli Coclough would be more appropriate. Yes

That's where I was headed though my brain went to Ricardo Rogers (heavy sigh)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:32 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Best thing I've read today

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:17 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

The defense knows they can cover him with the worst coverage guy they have on the field and the worst-case isn't too bad.

Receivers haven't been getting open-- story of the season so far, and very likely stale plays a big factor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:05 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
FC wrote:
Eli Sweed?

Speaking of Eli...I'm going to start looking for Eli Rogers on a milk carton.

He's completely invisible (except when he's not, and then it is, of course, for the wrong reasons).

Did you miss my other comment that there are milk cartons with a picture of Eli on a milk carton? :lol:

Seriously, I had some optimism for this guy. I'm going to say JJ has been about what we expected, and AB. Bell, Bryant and Rogers have been major letdowns thus far...I think those 3 not performing nearly to expectations is a major factor in the offense stalling.

On a more positive note, I feel like JuJu is making some plays and progressing...hopefully he gets more involved.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:08 pm 

Havoc wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Is it just me or is this guy not using his body and catch radius to his benefit?

It's not you.

That was a beast of a throw. Should have been a TD. Should have been a game changer.

The opening bomb was absolutely on-the-money. Like Jeemie said, Bryant dogged the middle of the route.

But Ben also threw 2-3 other pretty good balls that gave Bryant a chance to make a contested catch....he came up very small on each of them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:47 pm 

Tomlin needs to go to Danny Smith and tell him he is going to have to deal with having one less of his special teams players because Justin Hunter is going to be active.

No, maybe Hunter is not going to suddenly fix this offense, but Bryant and Rogers need a shot fired across their bows. You get Hunter on the field, give him some deep shots and see what happens. You continue to get JuJu on the field and see what happens. There is a little bit of complacency with Bryant and Rogers, they seem to think that their roles as the #2 and #3 WRs are set in stone, they appear to almost take it for granted. And then to boot they play like shit and are so underwhelming. What is keeping them on the field as starters? Superior play? Production? Nope.

Brown leads the way with 36 targets and has 26 catches. Bryant is second on the team with targets (18) but has just 7 catches to show for it. That 39% catch rate is actually worse than what Sammie Coates did last season.

Eli Rogers? 11 targets, 6 catches for 54 yards? 9.0 yards a catch? I still can't believe that people were against the Steelers drafting JuJu in the 2nd round.

The cupboard is not bare, the Steelers have options. Justin Hunter is an athletic freak, 6'4", vertical leap of 39", runs a 4.44. Why not have him active on Sunday and give him some snaps? Maybe Bryant needs a little push, a little competition for playing time.

Rogers? I think we are starting to see him being phased out with JuJu already. Can't happen soon enough. JuJu has been targeted 10 times and has 5 catches for 55 yards and 1 TD, averaging 11 yards a catch. JuJu through 3 games has 114 snaps on offense to Eli Rogers 97. As the season progresses I think JuJu seems more and more of the snaps and Rogers less.

The offense is bad now, but the players that can make an impact, or a bigger impact, have yet to really be involved. JuJu, Hunter, Vance McDonald can all get this offense going, but you have to commit to getting them on the field, having them active for games, and actually use them.

Rogers and Bryant need to be pushed, but you know what? The very fact that the team has to resort to motivating them, or threaten their playing time with other players proves to me that maybe they shouldn't be the starters in the first place. Where is their drive? Their ambition to be great?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:11 pm 

I'm not going to demand personnel changes for BAL, but if things don't improve dramatically Rogers, Bryant and Bell all need to see less snaps.

Fully agree with throwing Hunter into the mix.

Eli fumbling that punt sent a couple of disgusted thoughts thru my head. One, you couldn't find a spot for Ayers in a role that has rare, but HUGE consequences. Two, you did that, in part, because you would rather try to make Eli into a punt returner than find someone else to make into a gunner to replace DHB.