It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Martavis Sweed
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:45 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
It wasn't that he short-armed it...it was that he dogged it in the middle of his route instead of running full bore the whole way.

Maybe he was trying to fake the defender so he could get behind him, but it was a poorly run route that didn't let him get to the ball.

I think he was just surprised it was actually coming and he tried to turn on the jets and kinda got an awkward clumsy stride..definitely wasn't smooth running..catchable ball..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:51 pm 

bam morris wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
It wasn't that he short-armed it...it was that he dogged it in the middle of his route instead of running full bore the whole way.

Maybe he was trying to fake the defender so he could get behind him, but it was a poorly run route that didn't let him get to the ball.

I think he was just surprised it was actually coming and he tried to turn on the jets and kinda got an awkward clumsy stride..definitely wasn't smooth running..catchable ball..

I think Bryant expected 4 screen passes and a couple of inside runs to start the game... can't blame him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:27 pm 

Again Scunge good post. What has stopped them from doing this already? Are they trying to save Hunter for later in the year? Why not start a veteran WR (Hunter) over JAG (Rogers) from the get go? I don't get it. Inept? Incompetent? I think maybe a bit of both. I've given up trying to figure out this staff and their decision making process. Maddening.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:36 am 

Yeah, we had special teams miscues and people point to that as a reason for Bey to still be on this team, but if your offense is scoring 30 points a game, special teams becomes a moot point to me.

Hunter being active over Bey and producing even just two catches per game, and them using his presence as a deep threat to open up things underneath is MUCH, MUCH more important than anything Bey can provide on special teams. If Hunter helps to contribute to this offense scoring 30 points a game, that is more important. The rest of the WRs outside of Brown are underachieving (although JuJu is coming on strong even as the NFL's youngest player), and Bey contributes nothing on offense. JuJu can do the blocking that Bey has in the past and we do not telegraph it as we did with Bey. Hunter is a better WR than Bey.

I saw Brian Allen active against Minnesota, and he played special teams and he did great. There is your replacement for DHB. Also, we need to cut somebody when we call back Cam Sutton off of IR.

This is not like trying to cure cancer. The most obvious way to improve things is to have players like Brian Allen and Justin Hunter active and cut Bey. Go with 5 WRs and keep all 5 of them active each week. Allen can replace Bey as the gunner. And besides it was said that Allen needs to improve his tackling. What better way to accelerate the growth of this young CB then to have him active each week and getting 18+ snaps a week on special teams? There is no substitute for experience, for real playing time. This guy could be a tremendous player on special teams, 6'3" 215 runs a 4.45 with long 34 inch arms and jumped 38 inches at his pro day.

But we would rather keep Bey active, limited to special teams and have Allen and Hunter inactive. What is even more idiotic is that a player like Art Moats plays very little on defense (9 snaps) and very little on special teams (15 snaps) and the Steelers think it is more important to have him active over both Allen and Hunter. So for those people to say that Hunter can't get a hat because he has no special teams value, look at Art Moats, or even better look at James Harrison, 0 special teams snaps, or Willie Gay, 0 special teams snaps. Dan McCullers was active against Chicago and he had 0 special teams snaps.

That right there shows just how much of a mental midget that Danny Smith is as our special teams coach. McCullers is active and you can't find a way to get him on the field on special teams on the FG/extra point units? This is a guy who had blocked 3 kicks at Tennessee in college and has one in the NFL, who stands 6'7", who has super long 36 5/8 inch arms, who has 11 inch hands, that is a ridiculous reach advantage right there!

Chicago had two extra point attempts and two FG attempts. The kicker had one that went wide right on the FG attempt. But the point is, McCullers should have been on the field for those 4 plays, he should have had 4 special teams snaps. Who knows what might have happened? Maybe he blocks a kick and we get a long return like Chicago did. But Danny Smith does not even try to use the talent at his disposal. It is maddening.

Sorry to get sidetracked and rant about Bey and the special teams but it frustrates me that Hunter can't get a hat on game day because of this baloney. And in turn Bryant gets to loaf and take his sweet old time rounding into shape, or at least that is what we all hope. Tomlin needs to force the issue. Tell Smith that Hunter IS active from now on and that he is going to have to make do with the rest of his special teams squad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 am 

I mean, the timing of what your suggesting is poor, considering STs were a huge part of losing this game.

I'm far more concerned about the notion, expressed by Joey Porter, that the team is going to do less platooning/waving in players. I think there's been a cost to doing that at OLB and potentially DL.