It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Letter from Art Rooney, II to Steelers Nation
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:50 pm 

Obviously wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Guys, the team met and said they would stay in the tunnel. Later, Al went to Team Leadership (like any good soldier would) and asked (because of his conflict on the issue - which he has more than earned) if he could stand at the front of the tunnel to see the flag. Ben et al, said sure and thought it was the right thing to do (as I'm sure not a single player would've disagreed with if asked). Al went out just far enough to see the flag and stopped as he said he would. Some other folks passing by got in the way while the anthem was starting so Ben and the rest of the guys up front decided to not move (up to Al) while the Anthem was playing (out of respect). The rest of the team would have followed them the extra 20 feet if Ben and the front line would've moved put they didn't get the chance. Ben even said in his presser he wished he would've just moved up to Al during the starting of the anthem, but he didn't. Al didn't even know they weren't standing directly behind them until after seeing the pics. Then the shit storm commenced. AL, being the consummate soldier, took one for the team, coaches and organization before even making any excuses what so ever. "It's all on me, no one else." He is deflecting all bullets...he's throwing himself on this grenade. How can people not see that.

Maybe it's me and my experiences. I have very good friends who have died, fought on the front lines, DEVGRU buddies, Top Gun & Blue Angle pilots, Admirals and much more. Truly not bragging, I just have a lot of experience with the code these type of men (and women) live by. Al is just that....a true elite soldier, doing what they do and living his life that way, even as a Steeler.

Villa will be my favorite Steeler until he leaves, hopefully a long time from now.

Well said gents. He will be my favorite Steeler too. I will be proud to wear his salute to service jersey when it arrives in a few days. That is the ONLY one I will be wearing for quite a while.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:53 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Poor execution because Villanueva screwed up.

Or because it was slapped together at 10:30 the night before, and the stadium crew probably didn't know shit about it. Hence, a giant flag being carried through the tunnel as the anthem started...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:05 pm 

fortythree wrote:
If the entire idea is to stay inside the tunnel then he should stay in the fucking tunnel. It's not hard to understand. As a guy used to taking orders he should understand that. If he needs to see the flag then don't agree to stand in the tunnel.

If your theory is right he tried to have it both ways and fucked it all up.

You need to re-watch the presser. The plan was for Al to go up to where he could see the flag 2 minutes before the anthem starts, and the captains were going to go up and stand behind him. Then, the clusterfuck starts. They bring the giant flag from some pregame shit through the tunnel, the captains can't get through, the anthem starts, and everyone freezes as to not disrespect the song or flag...so, everyone was kind of stuck. Do you run up behind Al during the song? You get drilled for that as well. Poorly planned, poorly executed, with honest and respectful intent...very indicative of the Tomlin era.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:47 pm 

Quote:
Maybe one day when you get old enough you'll have the privilege of knowing true honorable soldiers and really understanding them.

I've known one my whole life. My father is a Vietnam vet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:48 pm 

86n96 wrote:
fortythree wrote:
If the entire idea is to stay inside the tunnel then he should stay in the fucking tunnel. It's not hard to understand. As a guy used to taking orders he should understand that. If he needs to see the flag then don't agree to stand in the tunnel.

You need to re-watch the presser. The plan was for Al to go up to where he could see the flag 2 minutes before the anthem starts, and the captains were going to go up and stand behind him. Then, the clusterfuck starts. They bring the giant flag from some pregame shit through the tunnel, the captains can't get through, the anthem starts, and everyone freezes as to not disrespect the song or flag...so, everyone was kind of stuck. Do you run up behind Al during the song? You get drilled for that as well. Poorly planned, poorly executed, with honest and respectful intent...very indicative of the Tomlin era.

They should've made him stand in the tunnel like he originally agreed to. Problem solved.

He better have the game of his life this week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:00 pm 

86n96 wrote:
fortythree wrote:

Thanks 86n96, at least somebody has watched the pressers. Mr. 43 - sorry, I mean, Mr. the FLAG is a symbol for simple-people - really knows what a screw up Big Al is. Man, I wish I could be standing there if 43 would have the nerve to say "the FLAG is a symbol for simple-people" to one of my friends. The same man (elite DEVGRU) that, among many things, handed 17 FLAGS to 17 different widows and parents at 17 different funerals, within 30 days, all over the America. He would shit his pants if this guy even looked at him the wrong way.
This is what's wrong with some of today's younger generation....now, get the hell of my lawn!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 pm 

I am 6'4" 310 lbs. I doubt I'd be intimidated.

The quote you keep butchering from the brilliant George Carlin says "I leave symbols to the symbol-minded."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 pm 

fortythree wrote:
I am 6'4" 310 lbs. I doubt I'd be intimidated.

The quote you keep butchering from the brilliant George Carlin says "I leave symbols to the symbol-minded."

Dude, oh sorry, big, scary 6'4" 310 lbs dude, you're a glutton for punishment.
Here's your exact quote....Some people, speaking for myself here not TB, just don't get that worked up over the flag. It's a symbol and to quote George Carlin, "I leave symbols to the symbol-minded".
So, now you're saying you're not even smart enough to understand what the quote (you brought up and said it's how you feel) means? And I'm the one butchering it? hahaha, that's rich. On top of that, you're insinuating you could handle a Seal Team 6 member. Okay Harry, might want to add a cloak to that wand you bought while shopping with the wife during the Steelers game. For someone who has little doubt, you sure are creating a lot about you here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:15 pm 

1.) You are butchering it. When you use quotation marks and then don't quote it exactly you got it wrong. I understand what it means. He's right.

2.) Never said I could "handle" anyone. I just wouldn't be intimidated by some dude looking at me. I dont go around kowtowing to people just because of what they do for a living. I treat every person with the amount of respect that they deserve based on my interaction with them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:27 pm 

We need a SF Triple Century Club....lol
:lol: 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next