It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Letter from Art Rooney, II to Steelers Nation
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:32 pm 

fortythree wrote:

I'm sure that you'll say he is because he's a soldier and you think that in and of itself is admirable, yet you also think he would can be COHERED into lying about his true intentions like a common douchebag athlete.

This is the stance I see many people taking. It's baffling to me that so many think that AV, a man they admire so much, is out there blatantly lying to the world about his intentions. Especially since he has stated in the past that he supports freedom of speech, even when he doesn't agree.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:45 pm 

fortythree wrote:
1.) You are butchering it. When you use quotation marks and then don't quote it exactly you got it wrong. I understand what it means. He's right.

2.) Never said I could "handle" anyone. I just wouldn't be intimidated by some dude looking at me. I dont go around kowtowing to people just because of what they do for a living. I treat every person with the amount of respect that they deserve based on my interaction with them.

1.) I find it interesting that someone so concerned with someone else using quotation marks -- that they have to then hang their argument on it -- correctly, that they have yet to admit they didn't' watch all of the pressers they seem to want to argue about. Others here (outside of myself) have already proved you don't know what you're talking about, yet you keep on digging your hole deeper.

2.) Just so we're clear, you have said that you agree with, and completely understand Carlin's quoted statement (symbol-minded = simple-minded). If that's the case, then you are saying that the 17 widows, children and parents I spoke about earlier are 'simple-minded'! Because, rest assured, as someone who lives in that community with a gold star family three doors away and knows more folks than you can image that have been handed that FLAG after they have lost a loved one at war, they are as far from simple minded as you could get. And you, by your simple-minded statements, are doing just the opposite of showing them respect. But, hey, it's easy to when you're a big internet tough guy, hiding behind your cloak and magic wand. Man, your parents must be proud.

3.) I love all of the 'respect' you're showing Big Al. Of course, based on your words, he deserves none from you. Once again, proving your idiocy.

I'm done making you look like one, you're doing a fine job all by your big, tough guy, self.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:48 pm 

Vertical Steel wrote:
fortythree wrote:

I'm sure that you'll say he is because he's a soldier and you think that in and of itself is admirable, yet you also think he would can be COHERED into lying about his true intentions like a common douchebag athlete.

This is the stance I see many people taking. It's baffling to me that so many think that AV, a man they admire so much, is out there blatantly lying to the world about his intentions. Especially since he has stated in the past that he supports freedom of speech, even when he doesn't agree.

Imaging if AV disobeyed a direct order as a Ranger? Or a West Point cadet? Imagine if he selfishly did his own thing instead of looking out what the platoon?

The NFL is not the Army. But he get's paid handsomely to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. The Steelers are giving his wife and kid the kind of life you never could have on an Army pension. You want that salary? Then obey the rules.

But wait..what if AV's convictions tell him otherwise?

Then he should follow his heart. It is inherently selfish but it is our right and maybe, just maybe his actions matter to many.

Just like Colin Kaepernick's actions matter to many.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:55 pm 

ChicagoSteel wrote:
Vertical Steel wrote:
fortythree wrote:

Imaging if AV disobeyed a direct order as a Ranger? Or a West Point cadet? Imagine if he selfishly did his own thing instead of looking out what the platoon?

The NFL is not the Army. But he get's paid handsomely to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. The Steelers are giving his wife and kid the kind of life you never could have on an Army pension. You want that salary? Then obey the rules.

But wait..what if AV's convictions tell him otherwise?

Then he should follow his heart. It is inherently selfish but it is our right and maybe, just maybe his actions matter to many.

Just like Colin Kaepernick's actions matter to many.

I'm not sure if this post is in agreement with my post, or disagreement? I'm not sure you understood what I was trying to say.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:23 pm 

Thanks Art. Too little, too late. I'll be back posting and showing interest again after you fire Tomlin, get your shit together, and will have nothing to do with your entertainment product until then. See, in America, there are lots of alternative things to do. Even Penn State football has the moral highground right now and is more fund to watch. For those offended by the sig, don't worry, it's the last time you will see it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:26 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Thanks Art. Too little, too late. I'll be back posting and showing interest again after you fire Tomlin, get your shit together, and will have nothing to do with your entertainment product until then. See, in America, there are lots of alternative things to do. Even Penn State football has the moral highground right now and is more fund to watch. For those offended by the sig, don't worry, it's the last time you will see it.

If that 95 jersey is a Jarvis Jones, it's not that big a loss.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Guys, the team met and said they would stay in the tunnel. Later, Al went to Team Leadership (like any good soldier would) and asked (because of his conflict on the issue - which he has more than earned) if he could stand at the front of the tunnel to see the flag. Ben et al, said sure and thought it was the right thing to do (as I'm sure not a single player would've disagreed with if asked). Al went out just far enough to see the flag and stopped as he said he would. Some other folks passing by got in the way while the anthem was starting so Ben and the rest of the guys up front decided to not move (up to Al) while the Anthem was playing (out of respect). The rest of the team would have followed them the extra 20 feet if Ben and the front line would've moved put they didn't get the chance. Ben even said in his presser he wished he would've just moved up to Al during the starting of the anthem, but he didn't. Al didn't even know they weren't standing directly behind them until after seeing the pics. Then the shit storm commenced. AL, being the consummate soldier, took one for the team, coaches and organization before even making any excuses what so ever. "It's all on me, no one else." He is deflecting all bullets...he's throwing himself on this grenade. How can people not see that.

Maybe it's me and my experiences. I have very good friends who have died, fought on the front lines, DEVGRU buddies, Top Gun & Blue Angle pilots, Admirals and much more. Truly not bragging, I just have a lot of experience with the code these type of men (and women) live by. Al is just that....a true elite soldier, doing what they do and living his life that way, even as a Steeler.

Very excellent post --

Puts the "game" in perspective -- there is definitely a higher code at play here. Al kinda fucked up, and he knew it, but it's all forgiven that's for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:35 pm 

Ice wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

If that 95 jersey is a Jarvis Jones, it's not that big a loss.

You must live in Central PA, because in the rest of the USA, Penn St. will NEVER have any moral ground to stand on. It will take 100+ years to forget the Sandusky/Paterno mess/coverup - well after all of us are dead. And probably not even then.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:57 pm 

DP39 wrote:
2.) Just so we're clear, you have said that you agree with, and completely understand Carlin's quoted statement (symbol-minded = simple-minded). If that's the case, then you are saying that the 17 widows, children and parents I spoke about earlier are 'simple-minded'! Because, rest assured, as someone who lives in that community with a gold star family three doors away and knows more folks than you can image that have been handed that FLAG after they have lost a loved one at war, they are as far from simple minded as you could get. And you, by your simple-minded statements, are doing just the opposite of showing them respect. But, hey, it's easy to when you're a big internet tough guy, hiding behind your cloak and magic wand. Man, your parents must be proud.

Symbols take different meanings for different people. I am fortunate enough to not know what it's like to lose a loved one in war. I can imagine that if I was in their shoes I'd feel different.

That doesn't mean in any way however, that I am disrespecting them or their loved one if I fail to stand up for the anthem. Nor is anyone on a football field who kneels.

Quote:
3.) I love all of the 'respect' you're showing Big Al. Of course, based on your words, he deserves none from you. Once again, proving your idiocy.

I respect that he sacrificed to serve the US in the army. I do not know him personally so I do not owe him any respect otherwise. I do not automatically revere and respect people because of a title they hold.

Quote:
I'm done making you look like one, you're doing a fine job all by your big, tough guy, self.

Not once have I even attempted to come off as "tough guy." You're waging a one-man argument here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:59 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

You keep saying you're leaving and yet here you are.

Also LOL at Penn State having moral high ground on anyone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next