It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ben: Tomlin wanted to defer in OT
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 10836
That whole game with all the hoopla leading up to it was doomed. Just my take.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben: Tomlin wanted to defer in OT
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1024
Steel Drummer wrote:
Stosh-67 wrote:
Defense was gassed, over-heated and full of holes.


The Bears had six drives in the 2nd half: 4 punts, 1 fumble, and 1 interception (damn near 2 fumbles and 2 interceptions). What a gassed defense!

Even in the first half, our D gave up just one real drive.

Deferral was a perfectly reasonable decision. Teams that kick off in OT are at 45-46% (I think, it's hard to find numbers), even without taking into account the relative strength of your defense and offense.


This statement is completely ridiculous. Almost sounds like it came from someone who didn't watch the game.

The Bears ONLY ran for 222 yards with a QB who everyone knew wasn't throwing much. We knew they were running and there were still monster holes. Everyone talking about how "good" the defense played in the 2nd half. Do we not include that OT drive when the game was on the line? The defense and offense were both disasters and we had no business being tied late in that game. The Steelers were outplayed on the road......again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben: Tomlin wanted to defer in OT
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:12 pm
Posts: 422
Hinestuff wrote:
This statement is completely ridiculous. Almost sounds like it came from someone who didn't watch the game.

The Bears ONLY ran for 222 yards with a QB who everyone knew wasn't throwing much. We knew they were running and there were still monster holes. Everyone talking about how "good" the defense played in the 2nd half. Do we not include that OT drive when the game was on the line? The defense and offense were both disasters and we had no business being tied late in that game. The Steelers were outplayed on the road......again.


Apologies. Didn't realize that rushing yards count for more than actual results. Also didn't know that coaches, when making decisions about overtime, should take into account drives that haven't happened yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben: Tomlin wanted to defer in OT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 3423
Orangesteel wrote:
I think this shit for brains coaching staff is driving Ben towards retirement as much as anything else in his life.

Ben didn’t play particularly well Sunday, but give him the damn ball and let him win the game like he’s done before.

Starts with Where Art2 Though. Mr. Patient Persistent who has Robert Krafts load permanently lopped on his face.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben: Tomlin wanted to defer in OT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:36 pm
Posts: 1336
The only way I could see deferring is if wind/weather/sun is an issue moving in one direction and not the other in regards to WRs or FG attempts

Tomlin is a great HC. He has his issues.

Most of you wash Belicheats balls unrelentingly with gleeful pleasure. He is a cheat and a fraud.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben: Tomlin wanted to defer in OT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 20012
Steel Drummer wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
This statement is completely ridiculous. Almost sounds like it came from someone who didn't watch the game.

The Bears ONLY ran for 222 yards with a QB who everyone knew wasn't throwing much. We knew they were running and there were still monster holes. Everyone talking about how "good" the defense played in the 2nd half. Do we not include that OT drive when the game was on the line? The defense and offense were both disasters and we had no business being tied late in that game. The Steelers were outplayed on the road......again.


Apologies. Didn't realize that rushing yards count for more than actual results. Also didn't know that coaches, when making decisions about overtime, should take into account drives that haven't happened yet.


They could take into account that the defense had been tackling poorly, maintaining poor gap discipline, and had been on the field a long time on a warm day, and that in OT, one breakdown on defense and you could lose into account.

They could take the fact that only Chicago's stupidity and ineptness allowed for this game to be tied in the first place into account, instead of doing the bullshit "results-based analysis".

The defense wasn't great on Sunday. The Steelers were dodging bullets the entire game on Sunday.

THAT is what an objective analysis would have revealed.

_________________
Bill Walsh: “Your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben: Tomlin wanted to defer in OT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 am
Posts: 1370
It's really quite simple. As long as Ben and Brown are standing, always take the ball. It doesnt matter how either of them are playing, they will always give you the best chance to win in the end. And if they fail to, nobody will question your decision anyway - because it was the right one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben: Tomlin wanted to defer in OT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 1632
Hinestuff wrote:
Steel Drummer wrote:
Stosh-67 wrote:
Defense was gassed, over-heated and full of holes.


The Bears had six drives in the 2nd half: 4 punts, 1 fumble, and 1 interception (damn near 2 fumbles and 2 interceptions). What a gassed defense!

Even in the first half, our D gave up just one real drive.

Deferral was a perfectly reasonable decision. Teams that kick off in OT are at 45-46% (I think, it's hard to find numbers), even without taking into account the relative strength of your defense and offense.


This statement is completely ridiculous. Almost sounds like it came from someone who didn't watch the game.

The Bears ONLY ran for 222 yards with a QB who everyone knew wasn't throwing much. We knew they were running and there were still monster holes. Everyone talking about how "good" the defense played in the 2nd half. Do we not include that OT drive when the game was on the line? The defense and offense were both disasters and we had no business being tied late in that game. The Steelers were outplayed on the road......again.


If ever there was a game that called for trusting your corners, it was against the Bears. I'd dare them to make Glennon beat you. Put 8 in the box until they could show the ability to pass.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben: Tomlin wanted to defer in OT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 4737
They wouldn't even let their best run stopper step on the field.....that tells you something right there.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben: Tomlin wanted to defer in OT
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 6435
Chicago talking heads are calling for Trubisky. It will happen soon.

Glad Mike Glennon could butt fuck Tomlin one last time before he is relegated to the bench.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], fractalsteel, Google [Bot], nycsteel, Poltargyst and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group