It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Calm Down Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 pm 

Flacco and the Ravens offense has been pathetic. Were held to 3 first downs until garbage time and blown out by Jags.
Rivers, Eli, Dalton, and Russell Wilson can't lead their teams to scores or wins.
Denver just got beat by the Bills.
Pats were one play away from being 0-2 at home.
The league is in a weird spot. Offense seems down and parity seems way up.
Raiders high power offense is getting dominated by the Redskins.
The best damn team in the league has Alex Smith for a QB. We know how that works out in the end.

No excuses for the Steelers shitty start, but there is a long way to go and everyone else has issues too.

Post subject: Re: Calm Down Thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:41 pm 
SP wrote:
Flacco and the Ravens offense has been pathetic. Were held to 3 first downs until garbage time and blown out by Jags.
Rivers, Eli, Dalton, and Russell Wilson can't lead their teams to scores or wins.
The best damn team in the league has Alex Smith for a QB. We know how that works out in the end.

No excuses for the Steelers shitty start, but there is a long way to go and everyone else has issues too.

Pretty much

And as far as the Steelers go its likely a 20-10 road win were it not for a blocked fg and fumbled punt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 pm 

I saw KC today...I'm not convinced.

Pats and Falcons rule until proven otherwise.

Going 9-7 and winning a shitty division then crapping out in the playoffs is about the worst thing that can happen to the PS short term.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:10 pm 

Well, prior to the season I said

Poltargyst wrote:
The Steelers will start 3-2, and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. They will then proceed to 6-3, then 12-4 and make a super bowl run. Less dependent on supposed strength of schedule and moreso on the team coming together and playing better as the season goes on.

We shall see if I was right.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:13 pm 

Better hope someone takes down the Patriots...'cuz ain't no fuckin' way Mike Tomlin EVER beat Bill Belichick in a game of any consequence.

Penguins drop the puck in 10 days!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:14 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Better hope someone takes down the Patriots...'cuz ain't no fuckin' way Mike Tomlin EVER beat Bill Belichick in a game of any consequence.

And yet, it has happened.

And if someone else beats the Pats for us, I'm okay with that.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:24 pm 

Raiders have 5 first downs, 2 via penalty and 95 yds of total offense and they have one of the best offenses in the league...shit happens in the NFL.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:26 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Oh? When? Must've missed that?

Are you talking about '08, without Brady? Or '11, in October? I mean playoffs. Not going to happen. Wish it were not true...but sady....it is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:31 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Are you talking about '08, without Brady? Or '11, in October? I mean playoffs. Not going to happen. Wish it were not true...but sady....it is.

Your statement was "in a game of any consequence." Regular season games have consequence.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:34 pm 

Okay....I'll restate.....game of Significant Consequence (with #12 under center for the Patriots).

Bottom line.....Tomlin's not beating Belichick in January to get to the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:07 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Amazing that we have a psychic posting here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:21 am 

Winning a ring without beating Brady would be a 1/4 Lombardi for me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:59 am 

The real ramifications from today:

There aren't any. Yeah, we didn't play well. Happens from time to time. The Bears are in the NFC and right now we're still tied for second place in the AFC. It's not about how you start, it's about how you finish.

Did everyone forget we were playing with two reserves today? Hubbard at RT, Finney at LG, Alualu at LDE and Chickillo at ROLB? Getting GIlbert, Foster, Tuitt and Watt back will go a long way to helping the Steelers improve their run game and run defense. Those guys play today we probably win by 20 or more.

What's more concerning is how atrocious the game plan and play calling was on offense. It is ridiculous how this offense is averaging only 21 points a game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:42 am 

We plug in 2 guys at OL and our offense goes to shit (or bad to worse)?

3 games in and Bryant and Bell are looking like JAGs....color me concerned. AB has over 1/3 the targets and nearly half our receiving yards....and Jesse James - the guy some people wanted to cut - has arguably been our second leading receiver thru 3 games.

Those numbers might not be that out of whack for AB but, yeah, maybe Ben and the other guys needed more reps in the preseason.

We're forcing the ball deep downfield. Those are passes most QB's only complete about 20% of the time. To say the playcalling has been an unimaginative grab bag would be a gross understatement. It's as if they decided the only way to open things up underneath and for the running game is to force the ball deep to Bryant and AB. Remember when people use to complain that Haley didn't go downfield enough, unless it was 3rd and 2?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:44 am 

smithessmokin wrote:
What's more concerning is how atrocious the game plan and play calling was on offense. It is ridiculous how this offense is averaging only 21 points a game.

This is true. But Bell and Bryant don't have it going, at all. The OL has been average at best. This offense is about what I'd expect with a golfer having just Ben and AB and a bunch of JAGs to work with.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:54 am 

SP wrote:

The Steelers defense will promptly make them look like all world beaters.
Couldn't care less about Rivers, Wilson, Dalton or Manning.
Fuck Denver.
Fuck New England.
Due to the oversensationized drama that follows the league like a rotten egg fart.
Fuck Oakland.
Not for long. What's that old saying? 'Better to burn out than fade away'.... chefs future.
I fully agree. No reason for the Steelers shitty start. Self inflicted.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 am 

smithessmokin wrote:

There aren't any. Yeah, we didn't play well. Happens from time to time. The Bears are in the NFC and right now we're still tied for second place in the AFC. It's not about how you start, it's about how you finish.

Did everyone forget we were playing with two reserves today? Hubbard at RT, Finney at LG, Alualu at LDE and Chickillo at ROLB? Getting GIlbert, Foster, Tuitt and Watt back will go a long way to helping the Steelers improve their run game and run defense. Those guys play today we probably win by 20 or more.

The Bears also had a couple guys out on their Oline. Didn't stop their players from opening up holes you could drive a Cadillac through...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:

The Bears also had a couple guys out on their Oline. Didn't stop their players from opening up holes you could drive a Cadillac through...

Our guys' gap integrity was for shit at key points in that game...especially on the stretch.

Inconceivable that Butler didn't adjust by loading up the box and daring Glennon to throw.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:32 am 

Blowing winnable games like this is the primary reason the Steelers don't get bye weeks any more. This botch of a game is infuriating and costly. But count on a Tomlin team to lose one or two inexplicable games like this. They never learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 am 

smithessmokin wrote:

The ramifications of today are we lost the chance to go into Baltimore and go two up in the division, and now it turns next week into an early season mini must-win game...and we play like shit on the road.

And...I said it at the beginning of the season....byes are often determined by one game. Seeding...a chance at the playoffs...are often determined by one game.

Teams that earn byes don't routinely drop games like this...which is why, you may notice, we haven't gotten a first round bye in seven fucking years, and missed the playoffs in 2009, 2012, and 2013 by one game.

And we've never gone to a Super Bowl under Tomlin where we didn't have a bye (in fact, we've only been to ONE Super Bowl where we didn't have a bye).

So don't try to placate me with some bullshit that this game had no implications.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:55 am 

I don’t see a lot to be optimistic about.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Tomlin and Haley could fuck up a two car parade. The ineptitude exhibited by these guys on a weekly basis is beyond frustrating. Tomlin is all sizzle and no steak, a pure bullshit artist. Haley is simply a fucking idiot. We will not win another super bowl as long as these guys are at the controls. I have been a fan for over 40 years and I am steadily reaching the point of not giving a fuck. Tomlin and Haley are an embarrassment and they consistently make the wrong decisions.

This deal with the anthem is just another example of poor leadership. While you can make the case that the anthem doesn’t need to be played at sporting events, if it is being played, you stand, period. You are a fucking man playing a game for millions of dollars in this country. The fact that we have an Army veteran on this team and guys cannot put stupid bullshit aside to stand for him says a lot. I have always loved the Steelers and have been proud to wear gear because it seemed like they stood for something, integrity at a minimum. Yesterday was an embarrassment on many levels.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:01 am 

BTW, I'll take the racist knock for this (I think everyone should know I'm not racist), but I've noticed Tomlin's "Ebonics" are becoming more pronounced in press conferences now, so I do wonder if he's feeling some stress at continued mediocre play (that's the only reason I point it out).

I think even he, the ultimate "results-based" evaluator, is beginning to realize that "style points don't matter" is a line of bullshit that more and more people are beginning to see through.

A lack of "style points" (I.e continued poor execution, and unimaginative, uninspired play-calling) is an indicator of future failure, even if you are getting by right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:16 am 

Jeemie wrote:
BTW, I'll take the racist knock for this (I think everyone should know I'm not racist), but I've noticed Tomlin's "Ebonics" are becoming more pronounced in press conferences now, so I do wonder if he's feeling some stress at continued mediocre play (that's the only reason I point it out).

I think even he, the ultimate "results-based" evaluator, is beginning to realize that "style points don't matter" is a line of bullshit that more and more people are beginning to see through.

A lack of "style points" (I.e continued poor execution, and unimaginative, uninspired play-calling) is an indicator of future failure, even if you are getting by right now.

I said before the game yesterday, this is one game that I don't care about style points. Just win the game. We have seen so many of these games where the coaches make things WAY more difficult than they need to be. Just another loss to a shit team, doing what we do, obviously.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:19 am 

Nothing racist about Jeemie's post. Change in language is often a tell. When I get pissed or stressed, the yinzes and jagoffs buried in my unconscious start revealing themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am 

Jeemie wrote:

Hard to say whether the style points line is a well developed line of bullshit whose purpose is to avoid calling people out by name in pressers. For all we know, Tomlin goes ape shit in meetings, but may just not know what to do ultimately to fix shit.

As fans, do we really have anything more than game play and reporting on practices to go on?