It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exploited Defense?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:10 pm 

Quote:
What Keith Butler witnessed Sunday afternoon in Chicago left him ticked off. http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/127 ... nst-ravens

Butler addresses the issues on defense and why he was pissed off the defense was allowing themselves to be taken advantaged of. Out of position. Terrible angles. Missed tackles.

I'd say start with the missed tackles. Then go from there. I can't recall in recent memory so many missed tackles. Players getting lost in the shuffle at the LOS. No run defense. When was the last time we saw a team run like that on the Steelers? Dropping assignments was something I saw a lot of as well. Not having all your starting players may have contributed but that's no excuse IMHO. I don't expect this to be fixed overnight but some progress in that area will be much appreciated. They're expecting the rats to run at them testing them as the Bears did.

Post subject: Re: Exploited Defense?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:15 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Not having all your starting players may have contributed but that's no excuse IMHO. I don't expect this to be fixed overnight but some progress in that area will be much appreciated. They're expecting the rats to run at them testing them as the Bears did.

I've said this repeatedly....Tomlin and the coaching staff clearly value some games much more than others. And I think it's indisputable that attitude/philosophy infects the players leading, repeatedly, to a lack of preparation and focus resulting in the types of performances we saw last Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:19 pm 

I forget where I saw it and I certainly don't want to turn this thread into the political thread that there are already like 10 on. Anyway, I saw an article that the players themselves admitted to having more focus on Saturday and Sunday planning what to do for the protest stuff than the actual game prep itself. Go figure.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:22 pm 

Agreed 77. One of the elephants in the room is that under Butler the tackling on this team has been abysmal. Our defense used to exemplify tackling and form; now we are a weekly blooper reel on what not to do.

It’s embarrasing and shows more incompetence by the coaching staff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:11 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Agreed 77. One of the elephants in the room is that under Butler the tackling on this team has been abysmal. Our defense used to exemplify tackling and form; now we are a weekly blooper reel on what not to do.

It’s embarrasing and shows more incompetence by the coaching staff.

Tackling has been terrible for a number of years. Butler's tenure hasn't improved it but it was an issue under Lebeau as well.

It feels like some of our players are more interested in big hits and knocking someone down than they are in wrapping them up - Mitchell definitely falls into this category and when a team leader like that does it, others are sure to follow.

That said, we are not the only team with bad technique - not excusing it for our boys but it has become a trend in the league. Labriola addressed it earlier this week (it felt like the person submitting the question could have easily been from this forum ;) )

http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and- ... 421a5292c9

Quote:
DUB TRAE FROM MERCER, PA:
I lost count after over 20 missed tackles against the Bears, and this has been happening every game so far. How can players who make millions upon millions fail to do the most basic thing you’re supposed to do on defense, which is wrapping up and taking someone down?

ANSWER: Missed tackles and sloppy tackling technique happen all over the NFL, and especially so in the early stages of a season. My theory on one of the contributing factors is that teams rarely are able to practice actually taking runners/receivers to the ground. Because of the limitations on padded practices during training camp and even into the regular season, there isn’t a lot of practice time devoted to it. That’s not making an excuse; I’m just offering a theory.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:21 pm 

Thanks for sharing that stillerz bar. A lot of folks (especially from the burgh) believe Labriola to be a company man and blowhard. I agree with a lot of his reasoning and as smug as he seems Labriola is genuine in his answers. I agree with Labs on his theory because I've developed the same theory as seasons have gone by under the Tomlin regime. JMO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:49 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I forget where I saw it and I certainly don't want to turn this thread into the political thread that there are already like 10 on. Anyway, I saw an article that the players themselves admitted to having more focus on Saturday and Sunday planning what to do for the protest stuff than the actual game prep itself. Go figure.

And I would call that article pure and utter horseshit and an excuse. These are supposed to be professionals for christ sake. Unless they wanna claim that thinking about the national anthem during the week affected their practice and prep. If that's the case, then turn in your jockstrap and get a different job.

I played in a college football game on 9-15-2001, after something that was a little more serious than deciding if you wanna stand or kneel. Once the whistle blows it's football.

But, this is the world where colleges offer counseling and safe spaces for students traumatized by speakers....

rant over

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:44 am 

I think Perch had it right on the Podcast. You have a contingency that are making "business decisions" to avoid contact. And then you have the Mitchells and such who are always going for the kill shot, and not wrapping up and form tackling.

Maddening.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:46 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
When was the last time we saw a team run like that on the Steelers?
How about this :

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:50 am 

Yeah that was a good one. One of my co-workers is a Dolphins fan and has reminded me of that particular game many times. Love to have a RB like Ajayi.