It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Starting this early...Situational Football
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:45 pm 

bam morris wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
bam morris wrote:
gotta love it...3rd and 3 late 2nd half..a first would allow killing another 3-4 min or more.. we throw the idiotic low percentage bomb prayer to Bryant..after all; why not give Baltimore hope? dumbest shit week after week

Ehhh, I might argue Ben throwing to Bryant in single coverage there isn't low percentage....actually I think the expected value there is probably better than the chain of picking up the first and driving for points. People like to bitch at Ben for this, but it's really an effect of your Haley run offense.

But, again, look at all the penalties and other stupid mental mistakes inside the 30.....they take those chances/risks simply because we know this offense can't simply move the chains and score TD's. Without splash plays, they usually shoot themselves in the foot.

The horribly sloppy play, consistently - over years, inside the 30 should be enough to fire Haley...but who am I to criticize?

disagree..moving chains was winning football..giving ball back was not.. why not complete a 75 percent short pass for first instead of a 5 percent bomb..giving Baltimore HOPE.. a first down and impending clock kill and fg just as damaging to baltimores chances as the bomb and far easier to complete.
I think fans are arguing that it's not a 5 percent bomb. They see it as a 50-75% chance. I agree with you. Any bomb over 4 yards on a third and three is a high risk endeavor in a close game when the ref's seem to want to keep it close. Move the chains. Period.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:45 pm 

I'm thrilled we are 3-1 and beat the Rats on the road. I remember years when they beat us with Walmart greeters at QB. The D was tremendous today. Watt and Tuitt make a massive difference to that unit. They could be pretty special this year.

I also can't argue with the rushing totals and the effectiveness of the run in the second half. But the playcalling and stupid penalties kept it from being an all-time blowout in Baltimore.

I'm not sure how to fix Tomlin and Haley clenching their butt cheeks with a lead on the road. I lost count of how many times Baltimore walked up their safeties on 1st down. Alien and AB could have torched them but we played conservative and tried the slow developing runs.

Ben actually was very good today (minus the bomb to Alien). The INT wasn't really an INT. The problem is we took the ball out of Ben's hands too much. It's almost sometimes like the coaches are "protecting" Ben the way they would a rookie QB..not a HOF QB.

On a really positive note, I loved how they got Juju, Jesse, and Alien involved in the offense today. Makes it so much harder to stop.

NE lost for the 2nd time at home (should have been 3). Falcons lost at home to Bills. This league is wide open. If the O could elevate itself just a little bit more, sky is the limit for this team.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:25 pm 

franco32 wrote:
I'm thrilled we are 3-1

I am just...pissed off. We should be 2 up on them with a game to play - if we lose that, they actually have a tie-breaker.

Belicheat always figures this out - they'll still win 12 or 13 games. Assuming they're going to beat us we can lose what, 1-2 more games and maybe still get home field?