It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The happy bitchfest
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:22 pm 

If the offensive line stops committing five penalties per game, this offense may just get off the ground. Defense statistically is top 5 in the league. The offense has been a huge disappointment, but it's still early.

The biggest thing that gives me hope is watching the rest of the NFL. Every good team is struggling. Pats lost twice, Packers have holes, Falcons lost to Buffalo, AFC North teams all suck. Chiefs look good, but Alex Smith is going to Alex before long. Nobody is perfect. It's an attrition football season where style points don't matter. Nobody but nobody wins ugly like the Pittsburgh Steelers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:27 pm 

SP wrote:
If the offensive line stops committing five penalties per game, this offense may just get off the ground.

they did play like a top-5 OL today....may not be a coincidence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 pm 

Haley's offense always takes a half of the season to figure out what the fuck it's doing. That's not new. I don't know why people get surprised by this every year.

Will the offense ever fully realize it's potential with Haley running it? I highly doubt it. But I do think by season's end our offense will be formidable enough that we'll be legit title contenders.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:35 pm 

Has Ben lost something on the deep ball? Or is it just the rust from Bryant still shaking off?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:37 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
Has Ben lost something on the deep ball? Or is it just the rust from Bryant still shaking off?

He used to underthrow it, now he throws line drives too far. Needs to add some loft to those passes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:39 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:

No. He threw a dime last week. This week he horribly missed.

Ben has not been what he's capable of. He still threads more needles in 1 game than most guys do in half a season. If you think Ben is just twiddling his thumbs until games start to matter you may be on to something....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:43 pm 

The biggest problem, by far, is that our coaching staff is insanely risk averse. We play it safe to the point of madness. When I, a rank amateur sitting on a couch, can predict Haley's play calling around 60-70% of the time (and I know I am not alone in this) then you know an NFL professional has to relax and take it easy the week they play the Steelers. Players still have to execute, and our only saving grace is that we have a far more talented roster than 90% of the NFL. It's why we beat mediocre to horrible teams by middling margins. It's also why we are embarrassed by well coached teams in the playoffs.

We have the talent on both sides of the ball that we should be calling balls out plays over half the time. Keep our opponents on their heels, never let them catch their breath on either side of the ball. The "play not to lose" that Ben railed against his sophomore season didn't leave with Cowher, it hibernated and came back ten times stronger. The bottom line is our coaching staff does just enough to keep their job and not risk being second guessed on Monday morning. They are not concerned with winning football games as much as they are concerned with being immune from criticism (from the casual fan) and protecting their jobs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:43 pm 

Pats lost
Ravens lost
Cowboys lost
Steelers won.

I call that a perfect day.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:46 pm 

This team is not winning the Lombardi unless Haley changes his philosophy and/or Tomlin changes his philosophy on how to win football games.

If one or both don't happen... this win vs the Ravens is fools gold.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:49 pm 

When this team - IF this team - has an average QB that struggles to make half the throws Ben routinely does.....y'all are going to wonder who gave these coaches a job.

Truth. Book it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next