It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:23 am 

StillerDownSouth wrote:
Every coach preaches taking care of the ball, and Ben only had 13 picks last year in 14 games. I just don’t buy the idea that Ben is hamstrung by Haley, all Haley does is call the play, which Ben can change at anytime at the line, Ben goes through his progression and decides where the ball goes. IMO his accuarcy has been a little off this year, hope it improves, but I don’t think he has been gunshy throwing into coverage, he has had several balls this year thrown into double coverage that could have been picked.

No he can't.

There's a few reasons why Ben is limited in what he can change. For one, a lot of their plays only have the ability to change to a run or to a pass. Second Haley gets the calls in so late that Ben often doesn't have enough time to do a full blown audible. Third, Ben is limited by the personnel package on the field to a limited number of options on each play.

He can maybe change a route if he sees something or flip a pass to a run and vice versa but let's not act like Ben has free reign in this offense to do as he pleases.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:28 am 

Stallworth16 wrote:
My take is Ben is still elite. Ben has always been somewhat up and down. Ben's best football this season is ahead of him. That's what I'm looking for.

I still think he’s a top QB, probably not quite elite though but for sure top 5 still. But his play as of late doesn’t back that up, I am hoping its just a road thing. Believe me, Ben is my all-time favorite Steeler and I hope he gets his mojo back, just seems to me he’s been a little off lately.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:33 am 

fortythree wrote:
StillerDownSouth wrote:
Every coach preaches taking care of the ball, and Ben only had 13 picks last year in 14 games. I just don’t buy the idea that Ben is hamstrung by Haley, all Haley does is call the play, which Ben can change at anytime at the line, Ben goes through his progression and decides where the ball goes. IMO his accuarcy has been a little off this year, hope it improves, but I don’t think he has been gunshy throwing into coverage, he has had several balls this year thrown into double coverage that could have been picked.

No he can't.

There's a few reasons why Ben is limited in what he can change. For one, a lot of their plays only have the ability to change to a run or to a pass. Second Haley gets the calls in so late that Ben often doesn't have enough time to do a full blown audible. Third, Ben is limited by the personnel package on the field to a limited number of options on each play.

He can maybe change a route if he sees something or flip a pass to a run and vice versa but let's not act like Ben has free reign in this offense to do as he pleases.

I don’t buy into the idea he doesn’t have much say in the offense or game plans, pretty sure he has a lot of imput on what plays get installed each week and what checks are available, and we all hear him checking a the line a lot during games, and like most teams a lot of their plays have RPO’s built in. I just know I find myself saying WTF Ben after more plays than I used to. Like today when he missed MB when he had a walk in TD, or when he missed AB when he would have had a walk in TD, but I guess that was Haleys fault too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:36 am 

StillerDownSouth wrote:
fortythree wrote:
StillerDownSouth wrote:

No he can't.

I don’t buy into the idea he doesn’t have much say in the offense or game plans, pretty sure he has a lot of imput on what plays get installed each week and what checks are available, and we all hear him checking a the line a lot during games, and like most teams a lot of their plays have RPO’s built in. I just know I find myself saying WTF Ben after more plays than I used to.

He has some say insofar as he's allowed to give his opinion on what plays he likes and what is working in practice but I don't know that he's ever had any real say so in how they attack teams other than making suggestions.

Ben checks into and out of runs and passes but he almost never changes the play completely. The only time he has any real autonomy in the offense is during the no huddle. Which is probably why Haley is so reluctant to let him do it.

Quote:
Like today when he missed MB when he had a walk in TD, or when he missed AB when he would have had a walk in TD, but I guess that was Haleys fault too.

The pass to Bryant was bad but you can't expect him to make that play to AB.

For one that was an improvisation by AB. Ben was expecting him to continue to come across the field so when he cut up, Ben never saw him where he was expecting him. Secondly, Ben would've had to turn his body all the way around to throw that to AB and he didn't have time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:47 am 

Actually AB said in his presser that was a designed play that they practice thats why he was so upset, he said its like a kid on christmas day cause you know its coming, referring to that play.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:53 am 

No he can't.

Ben misses wide open receivers. Regularly. That's coaching? Really? How many excuses can you make for the guy? He's a 102 million dollar contract playing like a 30 million dollar man.

Noll tortured Bradshaw for his entire career. The fans cheered when TB was hurt. People called him stupid. And he suffers from serious clinical depression. No one made excuses for him.

I said last year this was Bell's team. No matter how great Bell is, that's a BAD thing in a passing league.

It's hard seeing a champion lose it. All those retirement conspiracies...coaching conspiracies...what if Ben simply didn't want to embarrass his legacy by hanging on too long? Maybe he was trying to avoid everyone seeing his decline.

But now every NFL show is talking about it. The league smells blood.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:00 am 

ChicagoSteel wrote:
No he can't.

Ben misses wide open receivers. Regularly. That's coaching? Really? How many excuses can you make for the guy? He's a 102 million dollar contract playing like a 30 million dollar man.

Noll tortured Bradshaw for his entire career. The fans cheered when TB was hurt. People called him stupid. And he suffers from serious clinical depression. No one made excuses for him.

I said last year this was Bell's team. No matter how great Bell is, that's a BAD thing in a passing league.

It's hard seeing a champion lose it. All those retirement conspiracies...coaching conspiracies...what if Ben simply didn't want to embarrass his legacy by hanging on too long? Maybe he was trying to avoid everyone seeing his decline.

But now every NFL show is talking about it. The league smells blood.

Yes there have been several national articles written since last season talking about his decline, the media has been patiently waiting for this day to come believe me. I hope he has one more special run in him as a lot of greats have had at the tail end of their careers, but we are all kidding ourselves if we think he has 3-4 more stellar years left, which is why they should spend a very high pick on a QB pretty damn soon cause his replacement is not on our roster currently.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:51 am 

if it's possible to believe that Haley is as bad as advertised and still think he's being scapegoated a bit for our offensive woes, i'm definitely in that camp

our inability to find an open receiver in critical situations has to reflect on the receivers and the QB as well as the playcalling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:02 am 

StillerDownSouth wrote:
Serious question, are the Steelers winning is spite of Big Ben. Look we all love Ben, myself included, but lets not kid ourselves, his play has been poor for most of this season and for a lot of last season, especially on the road. Just heard on NFL network that Ben has not had a single 300 yard passing game in his last 10 regular season starts, which seems astonishing considering shitty ass QB's routinely throw for over 300 yards. I did a little research, and the Steelers are 10-1 in their last 11 regular season games going back to last year, Ben started and played all of them except the season finale against the Browns last year and has zero 300 yard games and only 15 TD passes with 8 picks, thats some real pedestrian numbers, yet the PS are 9-1 in those games. I hear on this site all the time how we have the worst coaches ever, a shitty defense that's coming around, and if it weren't for Ben we would probably never win another game ever again, yet is Ben the reason we are 9-1 in our last 10 games? While I agree with most here that Haley is a complete moron as a play caller, I disagree that Haley is holding Ben back, Ben has had 2 of the best years of his career with Haley as the coordinator in 2014 and 2015, and we all thought Haley was shitty then as well. Ben's play has digressed since 2015 plain and simple, yet the PS continue to pile of wins. Bottom line, hopefully Ben's play gets better and the defense continues to improve, and our coaching improves and the PS find a way to get number 7 this year, but I think its time we invest a pretty high pick on a QB cause I think once a player mentions he is thinking about retiring he has pretty much already got one foot out the door.

Ben had one bad throw today, and a host of great ones. WTF are you talking about? Did you not catch the part of the plan where they fed Leveon Bell and we kicked the other team's ass?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:51 am 

Quote:
Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?

Posing this question after a game the coaches anointed Bell the guy to carry the offense is funny.

Haley and Tomlin both coach like their asses are puckered. The Tomlin/Haley combo is a terrible combo for a team that requires the offense to be dynamic.

Haley needs 2014 Bell and Alex Smith at qb.

Tomlin needs the 2008 defense.

Neither is capable of getting the most out of the current roster.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next