It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1465
Kodiak wrote:
DP39 wrote:
I agree it should be used and is one of a QB's best friends, if used properly. I'm just telling you what I see.


I get what you're saying, but his first 4-5 years in the league he was historically great on PA.....I mean, off the charts. And they ran it, A LOT, more than Peyton some years.

And if this is true and the reason they don't run more PA, what does that say about Tomlin/Haley? I think it would say they're stupid...or pussies...and probably both.


Stockholm syndrome.....Ben's come up with a way to rationalize for himself Haley not running PA :lol: :lol:


But, seriously, there are many criticisms I've seen of Ben over the years that never made much sense. One was the inability to throw the screen. Then Haley came, it became more of a focus, and Ben got a lot better at it (and maybe a back or two with some actual receiving ability). Ben is a HOFer - what you see on Sunday reflects what they practice and prioritize.

With regards to Ben not wanting/liking to do it, I guess there could many reasons. His body being older/beat up and not liking to got through that motion and not being able to see a hit coming while turned to name one. Whatever happens with what Ben does when running this offense, I feel fairly confident he has a very large say in it. And, personally, to be the best leader he can, I think he should be practicing on Wednesdays. My guess is that most of his peers do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11332
DP39 wrote:
Whatever happens with what Ben does when running this offense, I feel fairly confident he has a very large say in it. And, personally, to be the best leader he can, I think he should be practicing on Wednesdays. My guess is that most of his peers do.


Here's the point I'm trying to make. He is an uber-competitor. Personally, I think the comments on the footwork and play fakes of a 14-yr vet heading to the HOF are an effort to be way too cute. But even if true Ben is not the type of guy to tell Haley/Tomlin to fuck off if they were to point out he needs to work on those things.

And, I mean, who is giving Ben all these days off? I don't think our franchise QB is a delicate flower that needs to be catered to and pandered to by the coaches.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6330
Kodiak wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Whatever happens with what Ben does when running this offense, I feel fairly confident he has a very large say in it. And, personally, to be the best leader he can, I think he should be practicing on Wednesdays. My guess is that most of his peers do.


Here's the point I'm trying to make. He is an uber-competitor. Personally, I think the comments on the footwork and play fakes of a 14-yr vet heading to the HOF are an effort to be way too cute. But even if true Ben is not the type of guy to tell Haley/Tomlin to fuck off if they were to point out he needs to work on those things.

And, I mean, who is giving Ben all these days off? I don't think our franchise QB is a delicate flower that needs to be catered to and pandered to by the coaches.
It's like anything else. You produce, have a good work ethic, the right attitude, are well liked, follow direction, and you get rewarded with some degree of influence. People who fulfill their obligations to a high degree have control over their schedule. I think he requests days off, and the steelers organization give him the leeway to decide when he needs practice and when he doesn't. For good or bad.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11332
COR-TEN wrote:
I think he requests days off, and the steelers organization give him the leeway to decide when he needs practice and when he doesn't. For good or bad.


Surely he could practice if he wanted. But it IS a vet's day off. I think as long as Ben and Tomlin feel the extra reps aren't the issue (and I'm not saying they are) he'll get the day off. Ben practicing on Wednesdays isn't going to do a damn thing to make Haley pull the head out of his ass.

And, hey, given how often Ben gets hurt....Laundry getting a day of reps during the week is probably not a bad thing :D

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1465
Kodiak wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
I think he requests days off, and the steelers organization give him the leeway to decide when he needs practice and when he doesn't. For good or bad.


Surely he could practice if he wanted. But it IS a vet's day off. I think as long as Ben and Tomlin feel the extra reps aren't the issue (and I'm not saying they are) he'll get the day off. Ben practicing on Wednesdays isn't going to do a damn thing to make Haley pull the head out of his ass.

And, hey, given how often Ben gets hurt....Laundry getting a day of reps during the week is probably not a bad thing :D

I'm no Haley apologists, to be sure. There are a handful of OCs that I would love to see what they could do with our offensive talent and with Ben buying in. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11332
DP39 wrote:
There are a handful of OCs that I would love to see what they could do with our offensive talent and with Ben buying in. ;)


Shoot, I think they could do more without an OC just by removing Haley from the equation. But I think it's safe to assume that everyone would be better served by Ben being less involved in the OC job. Peyton may have had a similar amount of influence, but I don't think any other QB is close.

Ben and AB certainly aren't sniping at Haley because they buy-in...

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 597
Like it or not, Haley is the last OC Ben will ever have, and likely the only one Landry will have after Ben hangs em up. When another one does come along, we can only hope Tomlin is no longer around to fuck up his mojo as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 pm
Posts: 424
This wasn't Todd Haley's fault most likely. Position coaches responsible for getting appropriate personnel on the field - would suspect TE coach responsible here but I don't know what coaches handle jumbo package personnel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16332
FromPittWithLove wrote:
This wasn't Todd Haley's fault most likely. Position coaches responsible for getting appropriate personnel on the field - would suspect TE coach responsible here but I don't know what coaches handle jumbo package personnel.

It's Haley's fault if he changed his mind late about the playcall.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 597
Or got overuled by Tomlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 pm
Posts: 424
bradshaw2ben wrote:
FromPittWithLove wrote:
This wasn't Todd Haley's fault most likely. Position coaches responsible for getting appropriate personnel on the field - would suspect TE coach responsible here but I don't know what coaches handle jumbo package personnel.

It's Haley's fault if he changed his mind late about the playcall.


Is that the case or are you making up a possible explanation?

My recollection of other's reports is that Ben's explanation to Finney occurred in the huddle, which makes it seem like the play got in just fine.


Last edited by FromPittWithLove on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6330
FromPittWithLove wrote:
This wasn't Todd Haley's fault most likely. Position coaches responsible for getting appropriate personnel on the field - would suspect TE coach responsible here but I don't know what coaches handle jumbo package personnel.
That's a reasonable explanation.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16332
FromPittWithLove wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
FromPittWithLove wrote:
This wasn't Todd Haley's fault most likely. Position coaches responsible for getting appropriate personnel on the field - would suspect TE coach responsible here but I don't know what coaches handle jumbo package personnel.

It's Haley's fault if he changed his mind late about the playcall.


Is that the case or are you making up a possible explanation?

My recollection of other's reports is that Ben's explanation to Finney occurred in the huddle, which makes it seem like the play got in just fine.

Finney said that the play clock was running when Ben told him about the play and what to do. I interpreted this to mean the personnel was already on the field when the play was called, meaning it was the OC who called a play for the wrong personnel on the field. Ben was quoted as saying "We called pass a pass play (sic)"... when he says we, that has generally meant the OC.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 pm
Posts: 424
Quote:
Finney said that the play clock was running when Ben told him about the play and what to do. I interpreted this to mean the personnel was already on the field when the play was called, meaning it was the OC who called a play for the wrong personnel on the field. Ben was quoted as saying "We called pass a pass play (sic)"... when he says we, that has generally meant the OC.


You and I have both been around a lot of football - position coaches/players screw this up all the time (I know I did) especially when the guy in question (Finney) is not a normal contributor to that formation.

It is certainly possible that Haley didn't realize Finney was in the game, but I can't blame Todd for expecting his players/position coaches to do their jobs.

Perhaps my gripe is that I can't see how anyone can just throw their hands up and blame Haley for this anymore than they can blame Finney and/or Daniels. I get that Haley is not a favorite son here (and probably rightfully so) but I think data is being massaged to fit a narrative.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 597
Do ya think? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16332
FromPittWithLove wrote:
Quote:
Finney said that the play clock was running when Ben told him about the play and what to do. I interpreted this to mean the personnel was already on the field when the play was called, meaning it was the OC who called a play for the wrong personnel on the field. Ben was quoted as saying "We called pass a pass play (sic)"... when he says we, that has generally meant the OC.


You and I have both been around a lot of football - position coaches/players screw this up all the time (I know I did) especially when the guy in question (Finney) is not a normal contributor to that formation.

It is certainly possible that Haley didn't realize Finney was in the game, but I can't blame Todd for expecting his players/position coaches to do their jobs.

Perhaps my gripe is that I can't see how anyone can just throw their hands up and blame Haley for this anymore than they can blame Finney and/or Daniels. I get that Haley is not a favorite son here (and probably rightfully so) but I think data is being massaged to fit a narrative.

I don't know either way, just sounded like the play was called while they were in the huddle. Of all the sins committed on a weekly basis, this is just about the least of them, anyway.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BarryFoster, Google [Bot], H0bb3s, VASteel and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group