It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wondering about James Harrison
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:46 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Again, if they are "saving him". Then why did he fucking dress the first few games?

Makes zippo sense

Backup long snapper... :mrgreen:

That would be hilarious....if it wasn't most likely true.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:12 pm 

Harrison had 5 sacks in his last 8 games to close out the season, and then had 2.5 sacks in the 3 playoff games, so 7.5 sacks in his last 11 games, along with his strong play against the run. Now, I am supposed to believe that he is over the hill, washed up, can't play anymore this season?

Still don't understand what Art Moats is doing that he is playing over Harrison. The special teams nonsense is overstated, Moats is mostly a blocker on STs, not like he plays on all the units and is indispensable. And Moats isn't the best example of how to show the younger OLBs how to play the run. The best way for Chickillo to see how to better set the edge against the run is to watch the master. If they had taken Chickillo out against Chicago and inserted Harrison in for a few series, he would have seen how to better handle the run.

I will say this too, say what you want about Chickillo and Vince Williams, but I fear those two are poor replacements for Harrison and Timmons in terms of playing the run.

To me it seems like there were words between Harrison and Joey Porter, and Porter being the position coach won and now Harrison is in some sort of dog house. And Tomlin is deferring to Porter naturally.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 pm 

I agree chick can't play the run as good as James and it should be able to get him 10 snaps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:34 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
VeritasSteel wrote:
James has got maybe 8 games left in that body- want to waste it on what is basically the warm-up part of our season? Last year the Dude spent over 300k just so he could get his body right to play last year. If we need Silverback to come in and save the season- then we have bigger problems. James is fine, the decision is the right one, and by week 10 we will all be asking (foolishly) if James can play another year- er half a year

We know this how??

Fact is we don't need James right now. That gave him a hat for the first couple of games to make sure he's not needed. Let's be real, our division sucks this year. We could effectively clinch the playoffs if we get to 9 wins by week 12. This team can make the playoffs without James making a contribution to that push. We don't need him out there soaking up run plays against the bums of the league and dinging his shoulder and triceps. Those injuries limited his effectiveness at the close of last season. We need his plays to matter during games that matter because human physiology says that James' time in this league is nearing an end. Having an extremely fresh James Harrison during a PLAYOFF push could be a game changer on a defense that should be top 5.

In the meantime, deal with Chick in the run game. The irony is some of ya'll said we could get by with him and Watt and get rid of Dupree. Now yinz are crying about James not playing. I think the run game with the three horses up front will be just fine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:50 am 

VeritasSteel wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
VeritasSteel wrote:
James has got maybe 8 games left in that body- want to waste it on what is basically the warm-up part of our season? Last year the Dude spent over 300k just so he could get his body right to play last year. If we need Silverback to come in and save the season- then we have bigger problems. James is fine, the decision is the right one, and by week 10 we will all be asking (foolishly) if James can play another year- er half a year

We know this how??

Fact is we don't need James right now. That gave him a hat for the first couple of games to make sure he's not needed. Let's be real, our division sucks this year. We could effectively clinch the playoffs if we get to 9 wins by week 12. This team can make the playoffs without James making a contribution to that push. We don't need him out there soaking up run plays against the bums of the league and dinging his shoulder and triceps. Those injuries limited his effectiveness at the close of last season. We need his plays to matter during games that matter because human physiology says that James' time in this league is nearing an end. Having an extremely fresh James Harrison during a PLAYOFF push could be a game changer on a defense that should be top 5.

In the meantime, deal with Chick in the run game. The irony is some of ya'll said we could get by with him and Watt and get rid of Dupree. Now yinz are crying about James not playing. I think the run game with the three horses up front will be just fine

Outside of Lynch, nobody said anything about running with Chickillo long term. So that's a major reach. That Chicago game was a perfect example of needing JH. Instead they let Chick get his shit pushed in over and over again. Leveon Bell was very fresh week 1 and it only took him 3-4 games to get back up to speed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:12 pm 

R S wrote:
Outside of Lynch, nobody said anything about running with Chickillo long term. So that's a major reach. That Chicago game was a perfect example of needing JH. Instead they let Chick get his shit pushed in over and over again. Leveon Bell was very fresh week 1 and it only took him 3-4 games to get back up to speed.

There were a lot more problems in that game besides Chickillo. I'd say that we missed Tuitt more than we missed Harrison. On those long runs, RB pressed the hole at the A gap and cut back away from the strong side (Harrisons side). The next week the Ravens only got one of those.

RS you know the timing on the offensive side always takes longer than the defensive side. Bell is a unique player with a unique timing required between himself and the oline. Harrison just needs to play his assignment within his skill set (which is massive) and he taught all the people around him the timing on stunts and twists. I trust James to be where he's supposed to be and I don't need him getting in reps in October to prove it.

This team doesn't need James Harrison- right now. It needs a completely healthy James Harrison deeper in the season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:32 pm 

Felt like these couple depth chart comments fell into this thread instead of starting a new thread.

Depth Chart observations.....

While Hunter is expected to get another start this week it does not bode well for Rogers. Why Heyward-Bey is so important for ST's is anyone's guess. I haven't seen Bey do anything noteworthy to date. Not entirely sure what Bey's contract status is but I believe that is part of the equation. Allowing Bey to play out his contract while Rogers refines his craft in practices. Rogers may be in roster bubble jeopardy not being a capable return man. That said, Bey does not return either. So right now the consensus is Hunter offers more as a WR than Rogers. Speed, Height and experience. One has to figure the Hunter signing has to produce since good money is being spent.

Also, something I have noticed kickoff returns have been Watson. Why? Watson is a 3 yard cloud of dust old school type plodding RB. How does any of his skill set prove him capable of return duties? Desperation and Smith being an all in type coach has more to do with it than anything else IMO. Although I love the hard luck story behind Watson I don't agree with him being all that capable as a returner. Watson is currently listed as #3 behind Conner and Bell At RB. Can anyone justify Watson returning kicks? Beuller?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:37 pm 

Quote:
This team doesn't need James Harrison- right now. It needs a completely healthy James Harrison deeper in the season.

We need a healthy Le’Veon Bell deeper in the season too. That hasn’t stopped Tomlin from running his wheels off. Even in games that have played out in such a manner where it’s obvious to get the other backs some reps.

If there is a “master plan” to save Harrison for later, why isn’t or hasn’t this same logic been applied to the RB Tomlin & Haley run the entire offense through and has yet to be available for our last three season ending playoff losses?

I’m fine if the plan is to save him for later. But then why does he dress?

Tomlin seems to make headscratching personel decisions every year. Par for the course.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:55 pm 

There's a constant to this:

Joey Porter is the guy who coached Shaquil Barrett in college, yet didn't or couldn't convince the Steelers (desperately in need of edge players) to draft him or sign him as UDFA (rumor was Barrett wanted to come but Steelers refused to match Denver's cash offer of $10K).

Joey Porter is the guy who pronounced Jarvis Jones primed for a huge season and announced that Jones would start over Deebo.

Joey Porter is the guy who has consistently tried to push Deebo down and downplayed his success.

Joey Porter is the guy who announced the team wasn't going to rotate guys this year.

Joey Porter is the guy who didn't send Deebo into the game in Chicago.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:02 pm 

I didn’t realize in our organization the LB coach has full autonomy to make whatever decisions he pleases.

It must be nice to be ultimately responsible for everything yet in charge of nothing.

What decisions is Tomlin allowed to make?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next