It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It will be the Offense.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:30 pm 

It's the offense, that will need to take us to #7.

We said this in OTA, We said it in Camp. And again, we said it in Pre-season. That the defense still had some weak links, still had some young players learning or not realizing their full potential. Still had some less talented players in key spots. And that all the pieces were there on offense to lead this team. To be the unit that excelled. To be the offense that would keep the defense off the field until it meshed. To be the offense that would score alot and let the defense play with a lead.

Killer B's:
The offense led by the killer B's, Ben, AB, Bell, Bryant, with one of the best OL's in football. Great kicker in Boz, would be the key to the Steelers success in 2017 and goal of bringing home #7. It is in full gear heading down the stretch.

The Defense:
We have seen this defense and know we have struggled in the secondary. We have seen Burns and Davis take a step back, we lost Haden for a bit, Mitchell just does not make plays and misses open field tackles. We know what we lost in Shazier. We know we were having secondary breakdowns even before Shaz was hurt. We know Bud just does not make enough plays over 60 minutes. Looks like Tuit has lost a little something with his bicep injury. We have seen at least three games in which we were just lost on trying to stop the run.

That combined with the staffs resistance to get James Harrison on the field over players like Moats, Chickillo and Dupree and now know James is healthy and not very happy about it.
We scratch our heads on not getting Wilcox a shot when Mitchell was out. On throwing Spence right off the couch and into the starting line up. On throwing Sensabough right back into the starting line-up after being pulled last week. Scratch our heads at having a great penetrater like Grave digger drop into coverage, rather than rush the passer.

That being said, I think better defensive game planning could take this group of players....and produce better results, less breakdowns, etc. Mitchell, Burns, Davis, Gay....they have been playing together for 2 years now.
Cam, Tuit, Hargrave, Alualu, Watt, Hilton along some high draft picks in Burns, Dupree. This team has talent on the defensive side of the ball.

With the defense coming apart at the seams and no adjustments in sight.

It will be that offense that will need to continue playing the style of football that has then putting points on the board.

Unleash the Ben:
They took half the season to unleash this offense. To give the full set of keys to Ben. To let him use all the weapons. To lose the run, run pass mentality. To pass more, to score more.
The last 4 games we have surpassed the much talked about 30+ point a game, we heard so much about. Averaging 33 per game.

No doubt, with an amped up passing game, Ben is no longer passing behind the chains as much. As we have been passing more on early downs. As opposed to a high percentage of his passes coming on critical downs and distances.

Moving the Chains:
Many of us talked about moving the chains to score more points. The offense has more of a purpose. More of a rhythm and flow. We have seen more players involved as well. Less deep shots without a cause. I think the last 4 games has seen fewer pass plays in which we seemed hell bent on "going deep when we break the huddle throws" We have seen less high risk, deep passes into double coverage.

Moving the chains means staying on the field, wearing out the opposing defenses and keeping ours, on the sidelines. The first 9 games we only had 5 games with more than 20 first downs, with a high of 23 and games with only 16, 17, 18 and 19 first downs. Averaged 358 yards per game the first 9 weeks. They scored 187 points in 9 games, 20 per.

Last four games we have moved the chains,
we have had 25, 28, 24, 31 first downs.
Averaging 432 total yards per game.
Scored 133 points in 4 games, 33 per.

The Ben:
First 9 games.
187 - 306, 2,298 ( 255 avg. ) 61% 12 TD 10 INT. 7.5 YPA
Irony - Ben averaged 20 completions a game first 9 games and the PS averaged 20 points per game.

Last 4 games.
131 - 196, 1,446 ( 361 avg. ) 67% 12 TD 3 INT. 7.4 YPA
averaged 33 completions a game last 4 games.
Irony - Ben averaged 33 completions a game last 4 games and the PS averaged 33 points per game.

He now leads the NFL in completions, attempts, yards. 4th in TD's

Distributing the ball all over the field to multiple wepons. Finding the open man better than he has all year.

AB:
Kid is like a machine. Third 1,500 yard season. Also had 1,499 yard season in 2013.
Only Jerry Rice had ( 4 ) 1,500+ yard seasons.
With another few games, AB may finish the year with over 1700 yards and have 3 of the top 10 receiving yard seasons of all time.

One catch shy of his 5th straight 100 catch season. The NFL has not seen a better 5 year stretch from a WR.
May go over 10,000 yards vs. Pats.
If the above is not eye catching.....then consider his last 4 games.

39 catches for 627 yards and 6 TDs. ( 156 for 2500 yard pace over 16 games )
He leads the NFL in catches and yards, by about 300.

LevBell:
Last 4 games almost 600 yards of offense. And the surprising stat.
Bell actually has more yards receiving than rushing in the last 4 weeks......328 rec. 265 rushing.

35 catches for 328 yards and 2 TDs rec. Thats a 140 catch - 1300 yard pace over 16 games.
63 rushes for 265 yards and 2 TDs running. 4.2 average.

Only 63 carries last 4 weeks / 15 per game. And he still has 40+ more carries than any RB in football.
Still leads the NFL in rushing yards by 100 + yards.
Headed towards a combined 2,000 yard season.

Rushing attempts are down the last 4 weeks. But his average is up.
3.8 first 9 weeks. 4.2 last 4 weeks.

With the up tempo offense, Lev Bell has been more involved in passing game.
9th in the NFL with 75 catches.

I think many of us said, less rushes and more catches for Lev Bell makes this offense more balanced and tuffer to defend.
I saw Ben and Lev looking at a microsoft surface yesterday......no doubt, discussing pass patterns.

Still need to get Connor in the game more. We saw the one hit on Bells knee. Dodged a bullet there. Next man up can not have a clean jersey.

The distribution:
Getting more guys involved in the offense takes less pressure off those guys when their number is called, as opposed to seeing an occasional pass in a high pressure moment.
Martavis, Rogers, James, McDonald, JuJu, Grimble...............keeping these guys involved means keeping them focused, hungry and waiting for that next pass.

MB:
I know he is the popular whipping boy of the moment. But I still see positives each week.
One that I have been asking for the entire season has been the simple 7-9 yard out.
They hooked up at least two times in last nights games. That should happen with ease 2-3 times a game.
It will set up the long ball, with more space to work with for MB.
Stay positive on this young man. His big games are coming.
4 catches in 3 straight games. along with kick returns :(....are keeping him mind in the game.

He is still a bit clumsy in short spaces.
I would like to see more intermediate slants, more 6-8 yard crossers for this kid. Plays in which he is gliding across the field are the ones that he will eventually weave his wave thru the defense for 60,70, 80 yards.
Its coming.

James:
19 catches for 163 yards last 4 weeks. That is a 76 catch pace over 16 games. Yes, not the dynamic #1 TE. But he is an important part of the first down passing game in getting to 2nd and 4 or 5. James blocking is still much to be desired.
If McDonald can not stay healthy, then TE is still a day two draft need, knowing we need to draft heavy on the defensive side of the ball again.

McDonald:
He makes a difference when he is on the field. Needs to stay healthy. His speed on that running sideline pass and catch is the biggest difference between JJ and McDonald.

Rogers:
Confidence slowly building. He and Ben connected on a lot of passes in 2016 ( 48). He has made some tuff middle of the field catches last few weeks.

JuJu:
Can't wait to get this kid back on the field. The intangibles he brings, the energy, the blocking, the tuff catches.
20 catches and 354 yards with 2 TD's last 4 games.

The OL.
66 pass attempts and only three sacks. And the 3 sacks were probably on Ben.
Hubbard has been real good.
Can't recall much quick penetration up the middle at all yesterday.....and over last few weeks. Pounce, DD and Foster have been side by side for some time now. They keep Ben clean.
Villy has been getting better each week and much improved over his early season hiccups.

The Boz:
Ice. 32 FGs on the year.
Big kick after big kick.
Was hoping for a few more yards before his kick, as a 45-47 yarder in Heinz is no gimme. Was full on board with the passes to try and do so.
His biggest kick for me was his last, as he booted the ball thru the endzone. I do not trust the ST's in that spot. They gave up a 40 yard return on the last one that they returned.
A ball returned out to the 35-38 yard line would have been huge for the Ravens.

Coaching:
Thankful that they unleashed this offense. Fichner on the sidelines is becoming a weekly viewing. Was it he who rubbed Bens head after the one score?
I am sure Todd Haley still has a huge part of the offense. We still see some nice plays and play design.
If Todd gets a promotion..............it must be Fichner to the OC.

But the key for this offense was losing the mentality of establishing the run and pounding Bell between the tackles on first and second downs.
They are not wasting series like they did earlier in the year.
Every drive needs to end in a TD with a FG as a runner-up prize.

Butler:
Yes they are missing their leader in Shaz.
And hopefully Haden will be back soon.
But there are still things that I would like to see from this defense that coaching can fix.
Would like to see more of Harrison. At least on passing downs and rushing the passer.
More of Fort over Spence, Moats and Chick.
More of Sutton over Sensabaugh. Thought they were supposed to share snaps
More of Hargrave on passing downs.
Thought Wilcox may have had the physical tools to bang with and stay with Gronk. At least get physical with him. Who is covering him now.
Ravens were ready for Hilton yesterday. Need to find more ways for him to make an impact against the Pats

Tomlin:
Best part of Mike Tomlin is that he is a players coach. They will run thru a wall for him. His ability to keep his team mentally focused last week after the Shaz injury is top notch.
He did not have any bad challenges yesterday. Can not complain about clock management.
He needs to reduce the personal fouls and late hits from his defense. The defense is not in a position these days to give up 15 yarders.

I said in game day thread that the PS needed to score with more than three minutes left on the clock. I did not want to rely on onside kick. And they scored with 3:39 left.
AND all three time outs. Dumb challenges lose time outs. Keep that in mind for down the road.

We had all 3 time outs and the 2 minute warning for our last drive.

Tomlins biggest challenge will be submerging his defensive mind into how to fix the defense and how to slow the Pats. He and Butler have their work cut out for them.
And to remember, he needs to let the offense win the game for him on Sunday.

Go Steelers.

Post subject: Re: It will be the Offense.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:07 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:

Butler:
Yes they are missing their leader in Shaz.
And hopefully Haden will be back soon.
But there are still things that I would like to see from this defense that coaching can fix.
Would like to see more of Harrison. At least on passing downs and rushing the passer.
More of Fort over Spence, Moats and Chick.
More of Sutton over Sensabaugh. Thought they were supposed to share snaps
More of Hargrave on passing downs.
Thought Wilcox may have had the physical tools to bang with and stay with Gronk. At least get physical with him. Who is covering him now.
Ravens were ready for Hilton yesterday. Need to find more ways for him to make an impact against the Pats

Go Steelers.

We need way more of that. I appreciate what Coty did in the game after the Haden injury but since then he's been horrible. He needs to act like the guy from "Remember the Titans" movie and go and give his helmet to Sutton and tell him he can take his place. Sutton plays with the confidence of a starting corner. Coty plays like he's trying not to screw up. There's no place for that mentality on that island. I almost puked when I saw them roll him out there with us knowing that a better option in Sutton was on the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:20 pm 

Picture of juju sitting on his couch with his helmet on was effing hilarious.

You can look at opening up the offense two ways. One is they will do that now that they’re positioned for a possible #1 seed and unit is playing well. Or they won’t open er up because they’ll get conservative and try to protect that seeding.

Mentality should be paste the patsies and everyone else. Maybe on the road scale back a bit. But yeah Ben leads the way. As it is so shall it be.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:24 pm 

Loved seeing Tomlin going full Cowher with spittle flying. It seemed like he was getting fired up!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:28 pm 

Rocky Mtn Stiller wrote:
Loved seeing Tomlin going full Cowher with spittle flying. It seemed like he was getting fired up!

I think Tomlin wanted to win that game as much as his players did, for Shaz.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:00 pm 

This team will go as far as Todd Haley's ego will let it go.

Remove him from as much as possible when it comes to calling in the plays, it's not his strongsuit and it's often the main reason this team gets into a funk mid game. Too much talent on this offense for that to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Rocky Mtn Stiller wrote:

I think Tomlin wanted to win that game as much as his players did, for Shaz.

Whatever it takes has to be the standard.