It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Ben. "Maybe I don't have it anymore"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
We will fix this all on Wednesday.....
Unless its another vet day off for #7.
We will see.

I have thought for a long time that Ben thinks he can just step on the field and sling the ball around and win games.
And thats exactly what he did early on.
It all came so easy too early for him.
So early success for him meant he could just keep doing what he does and stick to his routines.

I do not think he works on his game nearly as much as the top QB's.
From off-season, to OTAs, to mini camp, pres-season, game weeks, pre-game, etc.

I've been to training camp a few times over the years.
He is cozy and laid back when he is on the field.
I get you can not have the engines firing on all cylinders....... all the time
There is very little intensity in the way he conducts his team in practice.
They lack the sharpness and precision in practice
It carries over to the field.
Make practice game like situations and intensity.............then it will carry over to the field.
Sloppy practices with less intensity = false starts, illegal formations, slow off the snap, slow foot work, slow stepping and throwing.
It can't help but carry over to games.
And it shows.

From his every third day off in camp.
To the 2 series and 9 passes in one pre-season game.

His pre-game warm up has zero intensity. And it has been this way for a long time. Watched it in person yesterday. Has been his routine for many games i've been to.

Most of the team is out early, running, stretching, warming up. Getting in stance and bursting out as if to simulate a snap. 1 1/2 - 2 hours before the game.
Then they head in and get dressed and come back out to do a little more intense warm ups with some light hitting, pass catching, INT drills, OL and DL working in sync, etc. etc.
Then whole team, spread across their side of the field in rows............. doing running drills side to side,
You then have 52 guys laying out across the field stretching, etc.....
And then there is Ben. Walking around while the other 52 are laying down. Goes to each player and shakes their hand with a little comment. ( yes, he has been doing this forever )
Then heads over to a coach or two for some words, then heads over to a ref to chew the fat a few minutes.
I'm watching it...........52 other must see it too.

He then warms up with some throws to WR's and backs. Just playing catch and tossing passes to guys lined up running routes.
His first set of warm up throws are flat footed on left hash mark. No foot work, not stepping into anything, he makes half the throws and a coach standing next to him makes some throws. They are alternating throws ( you only have so many throws in an arm - B.R. ) Then to right hash mark and a little footwork drop back and another dozen passes or so.
Then lofts some flat footed 30-40 foot floaters for guys streaking towards the endzone.

If there is no intensity with footwork and passes before the game.
Well then your footwork will be off and you will be sailing high, and sailing out of bounds, not stepping into throws, etc once the game starts.

To me, he does not get emotionally ready for the start of a game. Does not get his game face on. Is not intense from the get go with a sense of urgency.
Does not throw on the sidelines when the defense is on the field. Almost never.

Guess what. 52 other guys are watching their captain and his lackadaisical approach. Taking it easy.
Don't worry. Once the game starts.
We got this approach.
Once we step on that field......................

The switch does not get turned on at 1:00 P.M. on Sundays.

That was hard to type about a great Steeler.

On October 17th of 2004.
Almost 13 years to the day.
I watched the Steelers play a game vs. Dallas with my brother. He is a Cowboys fan.
Ben led the team back from down 20-10 going into the 4th , with two 4th quarter drives to win the game 24-20
He was amazing. 21 of 25 - 2 TDs.

I said to my brother.
"We have ourselves a QB"
He said. "Yes you do"

This week.
Monday thru Saturday, will tell us what the rest of the 2017 season will look like with #7 under center.
Totally agree. I was thinking much the same in another thread. Thanks for confirming and posting BR's pre-game preparation, if you want to call it that. I'm speculating that his lower half is permanently affected - just doesn't have the bounce anymore. He's thrown the ball away more times in the first 5 games this year than I've seen in the last five years. He seems to be playing scared, tentative, and what outwardly appears apathetic. Coupled with deteriorating physical skills and you get average play from a superstar.

The other 52 players see how BR prepares, and the other 31 teams watch his play and Haley's offense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:46 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
955876 wrote:
I’m curious if Ben continues to take his veteran day off on Wednesday’s.

A true leader cannot be happy with the results of this offense. Whether the reason is him, Haley, Tomlin matters not. The results suck which means the unit needs more work not less.

As a team leader he should see this himself and shame on him if he doesn’t.

Same goes for Tomlin if he continues to foster an environment where grossly underperforming vets are rewarded with days off.

Was just gonna comment on that 95.

We will fix this all on Wednesday.....
Unless its another vet day off for #7.
We will see.

I have thought for a long time that Ben thinks he can just step on the field and sling the ball around and win games.
And thats exactly what he did early on.
It all came so easy too early for him.
So early success for him meant he could just keep doing what he does and stick to his routines.

I do not think he works on his game nearly as much as the top QB's.
From off-season, to OTAs, to mini camp, pres-season, game weeks, pre-game, etc.

I've been to training camp a few times over the years.
He is cozy and laid back when he is on the field.
I get you can not have the engines firing on all cylinders....... all the time
There is very little intensity in the way he conducts his team in practice.
They lack the sharpness and precision in practice
It carries over to the field.
Make practice game like situations and intensity.............then it will carry over to the field.
Sloppy practices with less intensity = false starts, illegal formations, slow off the snap, slow foot work, slow stepping and throwing.
It can't help but carry over to games.
And it shows.

From his every third day off in camp.
To the 2 series and 9 passes in one pre-season game.

His pre-game warm up has zero intensity. And it has been this way for a long time. Watched it in person yesterday. Has been his routine for many games i've been to.

Most of the team is out early, running, stretching, warming up. Getting in stance and bursting out as if to simulate a snap. 1 1/2 - 2 hours before the game.
Then they head in and get dressed and come back out to do a little more intense warm ups with some light hitting, pass catching, INT drills, OL and DL working in sync, etc. etc.
Then whole team, spread across their side of the field in rows............. doing running drills side to side,
You then have 52 guys laying out across the field stretching, etc.....
And then there is Ben. Walking around while the other 52 are laying down. Goes to each player and shakes their hand with a little comment. ( yes, he has been doing this forever )
Then heads over to a coach or two for some words, then heads over to a ref to chew the fat a few minutes.
I'm watching it...........52 other must see it too.

He then warms up with some throws to WR's and backs. Just playing catch and tossing passes to guys lined up running routes.
His first set of warm up throws are flat footed on left hash mark. No foot work, not stepping into anything, he makes half the throws and a coach standing next to him makes some throws. They are alternating throws ( you only have so many throws in an arm - B.R. ) Then to right hash mark and a little footwork drop back and another dozen passes or so.
Then lofts some flat footed 30-40 foot floaters for guys streaking towards the endzone.

If there is no intensity with footwork and passes before the game.
Well then your footwork will be off and you will be sailing high, and sailing out of bounds, not stepping into throws, etc once the game starts.

To me, he does not get emotionally ready for the start of a game. Does not get his game face on. Is not intense from the get go with a sense of urgency.
Does not throw on the sidelines when the defense is on the field. Almost never.

Guess what. 52 other guys are watching their captain and his lackadaisical approach. Taking it easy.
Don't worry. Once the game starts.
We got this approach.
Once we step on that field......................

The switch does not get turned on at 1:00 P.M. on Sundays.

That was hard to type about a great Steeler.

On October 17th of 2004.
Almost 13 years to the day.
I watched the Steelers play a game vs. Dallas with my brother. He is a Cowboys fan.
Ben led the team back from down 20-10 going into the 4th , with two 4th quarter drives to win the game 24-20
He was amazing. 21 of 25 - 2 TDs.

I said to my brother.
"We have ourselves a QB"
He said. "Yes you do"

This week.
Monday thru Saturday, will tell us what the rest of the 2017 season will look like with #7 under center.

Stosh, this is difficult to read...
Spot on, clear, but definitely difficult...

Terry had his Chuck to knock some sense into him from time to time, bring the best out of him, and make so much more of his career than if he were left to his own devices.
But who does Ben have? :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:54 pm 

Bens mentor has passed away. The coach from Ohio Not sure who he leans on now.

It's not tomlin or Haley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:07 pm 

For fucks sake he was being sarcastic.

He was angry about how he played and when someone asked a follow up about it he answered with that.

That's it. End of story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:16 pm 

fortythree wrote:
For fucks sake he was being sarcastic.

He was angry about how he played and when someone asked a follow up about it he answered with that.

That's it. End of story.

I believe he may have been sarcastic as well.
I believe there is a good chance this week will see the same vet day off Wednesday for #7.
Same week of practice intensity, same pre-game rituals........
and win the game once we get on the field.

What I hope for is a what we have seen in the past.
A head coach, a staff a team totally embarrassed by a .500 or sub .500 team once again and now has to step up to play better competition.
And they show up with a better effort, performance and result.

I am confident we will see a better effort and performance.

I know we will not have a better game plan than KC. Will not have better schemes and play calling.
I know we will not execute better than that team.
I am hoping we catch the better end of loose balls and Ben steps up as the leader of this team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:18 pm 

Barry Church: Steelers offense “played right into our hands”

The Jaguars came into Sunday’s game against the Steelers having allowed 569 rushing yards over their last three games while the Steelers were coming off a game when they handed the ball to Le'Veon Bell 35 times, which seems like a combination that would make for an easy choice about how to attack the Jacksonville defense.

It wasn’t the choice that the Steelers made, however. Despite trailing 7-6 at halftime and grabbing a 9-7 lead in the third quarter, the Steelers went away from the run game on Sunday. Bell only ran the ball 15 times on Sunday, something that Jaguars safety Barry Church said “played right into our hands.”

So did five of the 55 passes that Ben Roethlisberger threw while the Jaguars turned that 9-7 deficit into a 30-9 win, including two that the Jaguars returned for touchdowns. Church had one of those picks and said after the game that Roethlisberger looked uncomfortable.

“Oh yeah, we could definitely tell,” Church said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We were showing him multiple looks. He would go to first look, third look, man, and he would get flustered trying to make one of those miraculous Big Ben plays.”

Jaguars defensive tackle Malik Jackson said he thought Roethlisberger “looks good,” but that you could also “definitely tell he’s a little older and he was getting a little tired.” Sarcastic or not, Roethlisberger sounded a bit tired in his post-game comments and he’ll likely be seeing variations of what the Jaguars threw his way in the weeks to come as teams try to follow their path to beating the Steelers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:12 pm 

955876 wrote:
I’m curious if Ben continues to take his veteran day off on Wednesday’s.

A true leader cannot be happy with the results of this offense. Whether the reason is him, Haley, Tomlin matters not. The results suck which means the unit needs more work not less.

As a team leader he should see this himself and shame on him if he doesn’t.

Same goes for Tomlin if he continues to foster an environment where grossly underperforming vets are rewarded with days off.

You know Ben doesn't take the days off-- the coaches/org tells him to sit. They are convinced they are lengthening his career, just like they were when they hired Haley.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:15 pm 

I said it on the podcast last week: When the Steelers offense plays at home, against a team that is worried about stopping the run-- this is what they do. They pass while the other team is thinking run, get a lead, then jam it down their throats in the second half.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8