It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tomlin has to go
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:32 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:
...but when the team loses it allows people to work on their other passion, which is Fire Tomlin, Fire Haley.

We're 5 games in and the offense has grossly underperformed expectations. And Haley has never exactly been considered to "add value".

Regardless of what you think about Ben, he's still better than at least 2/3 of the QB's in this league. Yet, other teams are getting it done with lesser QB's, and lesser talent around those QB's.

You can't change your players tomorrow, but you CAN change the guy running the ship.

One more loss like this one, and I'll start to despise Haley like I used to also.

But I also know that replacing coaches can sometimes make things better and sometimes not, either way it takes time. I've pretty much resigned to the fact that this our last run with Ben and we have to get our shit together with this group of coaches and players.

To their credit they have shown the ability to Regroup and Play well in the second half of the season, in the past. Will that happen this year? It could go either way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:34 pm 

We are still trending down since December of last year

The end of the tomlin / Haley line has been reached

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:35 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Aaron Rodgers is so much better than Ben right now. Christ almighty.

I rember not too long ago id take ben over everyone in nfl.. including brady-rogers. now id take 20 -25 qbs in a trade for ben....sad but true.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 pm 

bam morris wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Aaron Rodgers is so much better than Ben right now. Christ almighty.

I rember not too long ago id take ben over everyone in nfl.. including brady-rogers. now id take 20 -25 qbs in a trade for ben....sad but true.

I remember games - rare, to be sure, but I'm making a point - where Ben completed like 80% of his passes to guys mostly with no one within 3 yards. I have seen very, very few of such plays this year. A ridiculous amount of his passes this year have been highly contested in tight coverage. Unless the all-22 says otherwise, I simply don't assume a 14-yr future HOFer is suddenly making awful decisions, repeatedly.

The only guys who make those throws consistently are Ben and Rodgers, each for a period of about 2-3 years in their entire careers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 pm 

Rodgers today did it without 87 and NO running game and missing 2 impact members of his OL.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:55 pm 

Defense doesn't get much of a pass...

"In the Steelers' 2 *losses*, opponents have COMBINED for a total of 7 completions to wide receivers

Seven. Total. WR. Catches.
In two games"

- Chris Adamski

Also, as you know by now...Jags- 1st in pass defense. 32nd in run defense. So, let's fling it 55 times.

Adjustment. Failure.

COACHING.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:01 pm 

AirRescueFF wrote:

Also, as you know by now...Jags- 1st in pass defense. 32nd in run defense. So, let's fling it 55 times.

Adjustment. Failure.

COACHING.

They gave it to their RBs 18 times and only averaged 3.1 YPC. That's the bigger deal than the lack of total rushes. They couldn't run on a bad run D. The plays are stale and predictable and the o line isn't opening holes.

Every week I sit here and watch Andy Reid call plays and design offense for the Chiefs. That guy gets it. Todd Haley, not so much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:18 pm 

Reid designed a really cool offense around the talent he has.

Haley makes tee times for Monday afternoon and doesn’t give a fuck about his shit product on the field. And tomlin is a bigger fuckwad for sitting idle. I agree with B2B. We might have the 2-3rd worst offense in the league. Imagine that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:19 pm 

Mike Tomlin and especially Todd Haley are the 2 worst guys you can have leading this group of personnel, in that they have zero concept of how to mold, shape and run an offense. I'm amazed Ben has done whats hes done with this coaching staff steering the ship over the years. Also ur OL especially the 2 tackles have been awful. We desperately need Gilbert back.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:49 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
Rodgers today did it without 87 and NO running game and missing 2 impact members of his OL.

They had a great running game today

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:05 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
There is no coaching going on. Zero, none. Mike Tomlin doesn’t coach during the week, or on sundays. He sits there and fucking stares.

:lol:

c'mon man. We know you're angry and all but... just, c'mon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:06 am 

Aren’t you dying to know how Ben really feels about his coaches? I am.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:08 am 

I feel like we are on the verge of a nasty divorce, and I’m on Team Ben. To hell with the coaches.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:09 am 

Art Vandelay wrote:
Even Tomlin’s challenges are sloppy, like most things done by the team he leads.

Before today he was like the #1 at winning challenges. Today's two challenges were two of the worst I have seen since Cowher was here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:09 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
Aren’t you dying to know how Ben really feels about his coaches? I am.

Yes. Yes, I am.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:46 am 

steelmann58 wrote:

So you mean kind of like Ben did in a PLAYOFF game against DEN two years ago?

Except Rodgers had a good running game....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:48 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Today's two challenges were two of the worst I have seen since Cowher was here.

I thought the challenge today was actually pretty good. And, yes, Tomlin has been pretty good when compared to the rest of the league.

That still doesn't mean he doesn't suck at it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:09 am 

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Today's two challenges were two of the worst I have seen since Cowher was here.

I thought the challenge today was actually pretty good. And, yes, Tomlin has been pretty good when compared to the rest of the league.

That still doesn't mean he doesn't suck at it.

Are you drunk?? Damn ray Charles could see both of those challenges were going to fail. Mike is a problem. No in game coaching. Just stands around trying to look cool. He has lost this team. Coaches can't be buddies with players. The OC is a pos failed golfer. Team has no focus no synergy
Way to many ME players. That is on the HC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:18 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Even Tomlin’s challenges are sloppy, like most things done by the team he leads.

Before today he was like the #1 at winning challenges. Today's two challenges were two of the worst I have seen since Cowher was here.

Whoever was in the booth no told him to challenge those calls needed to be fired before the game ended.

We could have used that extra timeout on the drive before halftime...with an extra play or two, maybe we get in the end zone.

Maybe leading 10-7 instead of trailing 7-6 mentally changes the outlook on the game. Who knows?

Definitely could have used a third timeout in the second half- I'm sure the pressure of time caused issues with play.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:36 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

Whoever was in the booth no told him to challenge those calls needed to be fired before the game ended.

We could have used that extra timeout on the drive before halftime...with an extra play or two, maybe we get in the end zone.

Maybe leading 10-7 instead of trailing 7-6 mentally changes the outlook on the game. Who knows?

Definitely could have used a third timeout in the second half- I'm sure the pressure of time caused issues with play.

What evidence is there that he has or needs someone in the booth to review it ( plays ) before he throws a flag.
He saw it with his own eyes the first time. LOL.
I thought it was a catch on initial play as well.

Two bad challenges.

No need to hurry to throw that flag.
Jacksonville was not rushing to the line to snap it.
They called it a first down,
hence ball had to be spotted.
Chains had to be moved and set.

It was clear to me on first review that it was too close to challenge.

The first cost him a time out that we needed on the drive before the half.

The second was the AB scoop. Looked like he may have caught it.
Again.
No reason to throw the flag so quick. Ball was passed 20-25 yards down field.
Clock stopped, players had to get back to their side of scrimmage, change personnel? huddle up, etc.
Plenty of time to get a few angles.
He threw that after one angle review and AB saying he caught it.

When was the last time you saw a WR run towards the sideline and excitedly waving that he did not catch it....lol.
WR's would always love another catch to their credit.
Of course AB wants another catch and yards.

Emotions over evidence.

2 Bad challenges.

Last edited by Stosh-67 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:38 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

So you mean kind of like Ben did in a PLAYOFF game against DEN two years ago?

Except Rodgers had a good running game....

The Packers scored 35 points...the Steelers scored 16.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:39 pm 

As a head coach, I'm guessing Tomlin saw that the jags had a bad run defense. They've been gashed the week before. They opened a few holes, but for the most part the o line was manhandled from what I could tell. In both the pass and run.

Do you think the jags HC and DC focused on stopping the run with a team that had a back run for over 100 yards against baltimore the week before? Didn't B2B bring this up in the podcast? They challenged BR and the offense to beat them with JuJu, Bryant, James. Even though AB had a good game, they kept him out of the end zone. BR once again, forced the issue.

In other words, it doesn't surprise me one bit the jags showed up ready to elevate their run stopping abilities forcing BR to throw within haley's system. Just as tomlin said : The game unfolded exactly the way the jags game planned for, and the steelers coaching staff fell right into the trap.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:51 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
As a head coach, I'm guessing Tomlin saw that the jags had a bad run defense. They've been gashed the week before. They opened a few holes, but for the most part the o line was manhandled from what I could tell. In both the pass and run.

Do you think the jags HC and DC focused on stopping the run with a team that had a back run for over 100 yards against baltimore the week before? Didn't B2B bring this up in the podcast? They challenged BR and the offense to beat them with JuJu, Bryant, James. Even though AB had a good game, they kept him out of the end zone. BR once again, forced the issue.

In other words, it doesn't surprise me one bit the jags showed up ready to elevate their run stopping abilities forcing BR to throw within haley's system. Just as tomlin said : The game unfolded exactly the way the jags game planned for, and the steelers coaching staff fell right into the trap.

Absolutely.
Jets ran well vs the Jags.
We ran better vs. the Ravens.
No reason to game plan with anything but those thoughts.

And no reason to think Jax game plan was to stack the box and take away the run.
And thats exactly what they did.
Single high safety. Other safety close to the box.

We are out game planned and out coached 11-12 out of 16 games a year.

Forget about in game or half time adjustments.
I've said plenty of times under this staff.
If a game is going bad early in the game.........
If the team is struggling early.
That this staff does not have the ability, intellect, mental quickness to adjust on the fly, etc to make changes to to counter what the other team is doing.

We never adjusted against the Bears once we realized they could only beat us on the ground.
We never adjusted against the Jags once we realized they could only beat us on the ground.
One pass by the Jags in the second half?. and it was one incomplete pass.

Same script....different Sunday, different team.
Not that James Harrison is gonna single handily stop the Jags run game..........
But once again, our best and most stout run stuffing OLB is watching from the sidelines.

I can not even fathom the in game thought process of the offensive leaders of this team once they saw the novel defensive scheme of single high safety.
Did they not think....hey maybe Jax will stack the box and creep a safety up, knowing the PS passing offense has not been very good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:54 pm 

Haven't read the thread at all, but it could be worse I guess. We could have this guy running our O Line.....

Dolphins OL coach Chris Foerster resigned.

A video released Sunday appears to show Foerster snorting lines of cocaine off his desk at work. "I am resigning from my position with the Miami Dolphins and accept full responsibility for my actions," Foerster wrote. "I want to apologize to the organization and my sole focus is on getting the help that I need with the support of my family and medical professionals."

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 9 - 10:09 AM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:41 pm 

Not all rushing offenses are created equal. The Jags field a young, fast, aggressive defense. The Steelers sport a slow plodding unimaginative rushing attack. No deception, misdirection, or imagination. When the Steelers go against a read and react defense, they can get a hat on a hat, allow Bell to pick his spots, and have some success. Against an attacking D like the Jags, their predictability allows the defense to get too and overwhelm the offensive line at the POA. The blockers are outnumbered...no push, no success. The Steelers run blocking schemes date back to. Cowher and even Noll. Tight splits, pulling and trapping, deep delayed handoffs.
This is the type of offense Tood Haley designs because this is the type of offense Mike Tomlin wants, and most importantly, this is the type of offense A2 promotes.

We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. -Clark W. Griswald
#CdnSteelerFanStrong